October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2655 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Have you seen this!? PS+ November Preview

More
31 Oct 2013 19:13 #164167 by QPCloudy
Seriously, check out this link. Great month for Playstion+ members. Dem free games!

blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/31/plays...us-november-preview/

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, Soul Sacrifice, Binary Domain. . . . .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2013 19:19 #164168 by Michael Barnes
Playstation Plus is the best $50 I've ever spent on console video games, and I will be happy to renew next year. I've got like 15 absolute top-tier titles from the service (XCOM, Deus Ex, Uncharted 3, Battlefield 3, Kingdoms of Amalur, Sleeping Dogs, Jet Set Radio Future, Saints Row 3, etc. etc. etc.). And now they're putting Dragon's Dogma up there? Do not miss it, that is an outstanding game.

Sine Mora is up now too, don't miss it.

I cancelled Xbox Live primarily because of the quality of the PS+ service...Xbox Live's "games for gold" was giving out, what, Halo 3?

More
31 Oct 2013 19:28 - 31 Oct 2013 19:30 #164170 by Black Barney
Fable III
Defense Grid
Assassin's Creed II
Crackdown
Dead Rising 2
Dead Rising 2: Case Zero
Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas
Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes
Halo 3

I admit the PS+ list is more impressive but one redeeming quality of Xbox is if you let your Gold lapse and not renew, you still keep the games. PS+ is an indian-giver in that regard.

...oh wait, that's offensive.
Last edit: 31 Oct 2013 19:30 by Black Barney.

More
31 Oct 2013 20:16 #164176 by QPCloudy

Black Barney wrote: Fable III
Defense Grid
Assassin's Creed II
Crackdown
Dead Rising 2
Dead Rising 2: Case Zero
Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas
Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes
Halo 3

I admit the PS+ list is more impressive but one redeeming quality of Xbox is if you let your Gold lapse and not renew, you still keep the games. PS+ is an indian-giver in that regard.

...oh wait, that's offensive.

Yes they prefer Native American givers.

Honestly I don't even care if I wouldn't keep all those free games if my membership lapsed. We're talking about $50 a years for hundreds of dollars in top titles. Especially for someone as strapped as me, that $50 is a no brainer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
31 Oct 2013 20:21 - 31 Oct 2013 20:25 #164178 by jeb
I am an Xbox Gold member in good standing and missed a bunch of these because I didn't go "get them" when I was supposed to. I really don't care for this model of "it's free!" (right now. if you are a Gold member, not in a month though, even if you were a Gold member. How could we possible keep track of that?)
Last edit: 31 Oct 2013 20:25 by jeb.

More
31 Oct 2013 20:27 - 31 Oct 2013 20:28 #164180 by Black Barney
What? There's a free game every two weeks, it lasts for two weeks. That's it. You grab it (takes 2 minutes) and then play it in 6 months or whenever you get around to it. My buddy Dom has missed almost every single games with gold because he's an irresponsible anarchist. I don't find it difficult to turn on the xbox, see the current free game on the home screen dashboard and immediately decide if I want to download that free title or not.

Cloudy, I agree it's a no-brainer for PS+, great deal for sure. I'll tell you though, through personal experience, that being able to keep the games seems to be material for me. I've downloaded four of the games I mentionned above (cuz I owned the rest already), but haven't got around to playing them yet since there's no time and too many other games to play. Eventually my gold will run out and it's probably around then (since I wouldn't play multiplayer anymore) that I'd get around to catching up and playing Assassin's Creed II, Crackdown, Defense Grid and stuff).

At the end of the day, they're both really good deals for people with not much money. Free full games is great. I think PS+'s program is probably delivering not only better titles, but titles that people are less likely to have already owned and finished (which is important).
Last edit: 31 Oct 2013 20:28 by Black Barney.

More
31 Oct 2013 20:32 #164182 by jeb
Yes, Barney, I am complaining about exactly this. I am saying there is an even more convenient way to reward my commitment to the platform than requiring me to go get the game on their timetable. They want me to pay them so they can take full color 1080p pictures of my living room; and I want things to be as convenient for me as possible. That is the relationship I have with Microsoft. I like this program--I do not care for this aspect of its implementation.

And man, play CRACKDOWN. It is the fucking bomb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
31 Oct 2013 20:39 #164183 by Black Barney
Yeah, i hear Crackdown is fun but I'm playing GTAV right now and I'd obviously find Crackdown lacking if I went into that straight away, no?

It would be easier for sure if the games could just be free forever. I think it's some sort of licensing deal they make where they make it free only for a little bit of time and that's hellacheaper for them than simply making it free forever. Plus, if they made those games free forever, doesn't that really screw with brick & mortar shops with those games on their shelves?

I guess PS+ has the same problem in that regard. The world is going digital anyway.

I get your complaint just the same. I wanted to play Magic 2013 with my friends who never got around to buying it so I had to spam their inboxes for a full week until they remembered to download it for free. Still, some missed it and replied, "it doesn't seem to be free anymore, what gives?"

I wanted to shoot them in the face, like Dick Cheney

More
31 Oct 2013 21:03 #164185 by Bull Nakano
is this like the sega channel?

More
31 Oct 2013 21:27 #164188 by Michael Barnes
It's really closer to Compuserve.

The problem with Xbox Live's offerings is that they're all games almost anyone would have played. Assassin's Creed II? Really? Aside from that they're all games that you can buy on disc for under $10. I think Gamestop sells Crackdown for $2.99. PS+ free games are almost more like "you might have missed this" titles, like Dragon's Dogma. I appreciate that it's not just the AAA games of 2009, it's more recent and sometimes more marginal stuff that deserves a look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
31 Oct 2013 22:30 #164190 by trif
In Oz we got Dragon's Dogma last month on PS+. This month it's Metal Gear Solid: Revengeance.

More
31 Oct 2013 22:32 #164191 by Black Barney
I didn't play Crackdown or Assassin's Creed II or Fable III, and I play a lot. I think Halo 3 is totally ridiculous since that had an insane attach rate but those others aren't as obvious as you make them out to be. Still, I agree that they should be going for highly appreciated but undersold games (if we back up a generation or two, stuff like Psychonauts and stuff like that would be perfect for these types of promotions)

More
31 Oct 2013 22:42 #164192 by QPCloudy
And isn't free games for gold ending when XboxOne launches?

More
01 Nov 2013 01:35 #164197 by SaMoKo
Dammit, I already got Soul Sacrifice during a sale for like 8 bux. Really good game.

More
01 Nov 2013 11:42 #164204 by Black Barney

QPCloudy wrote: And isn't free games for gold ending when XboxOne launches?

that was the original thinking but now they're keeping it up into 2014
The following user(s) said Thank You: QPCloudy

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.365 seconds