October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Games that "fired" other games

More
29 Mar 2014 14:54 - 29 Mar 2014 14:56 #174659 by Cranberries

Hex Sinister wrote: Warhammer Diskwars fired Commands and Colors Ancients

Bye bye C&C:A, I won't miss you.

Disk Wars

CC:A with 20mm minis:

Last edit: 29 Mar 2014 14:56 by Cranberries.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2014 15:00 #174660 by ThirstyMan

hotseatgames wrote: Resistance fired Panic Station for me.

Panic Station was dead in the water to begin with.

More
29 Mar 2014 15:10 #174661 by Black Barney
Humans having a finite amount of time to live pretty much fired Eclipse.

I think Race fired San Juan

All of my train games (Railroad Tycoon, Steam, Age of Steam) act like they're playing A Game of Thrones for who's best. They all have claim.

Realizing I can just sit and do nothing instead fired Dominion

Magic fired all my other CCGs and I didn't want it to. It just did it anyway without my permission.

BGG tried to fire my Monopoly game but instead I told them to die in a fire

When I first laid eyes on Ken, I fired my wife

I'm pretty sure 20 years ago Axis and Allies fired Risk. I'm almost positive this happened to everyone I knew.

For me, Puerto Rico fired Settlers of Catan. I was happy when this happened. No one wanted to trade with me anymore.

People that say Puerto Rico fired Agricola are dumb.

Twilight Struggle has a real life cold war going on with War of the Ring. If either one tries to fire the other, the world ends.

Thank God poker fired blackjack for me

…ok that's enough cuz the bean burrito I ate 60 minutes ago is trying to fire my colon
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron, Aarontu, DeletedUser, OldHippy, madwookiee, Attrition, Malygris, airmarkus

More
29 Mar 2014 15:41 - 29 Mar 2014 15:42 #174663 by scissors
Disc Wars fired... beer coasters
Last edit: 29 Mar 2014 15:42 by scissors.

More
29 Mar 2014 16:06 #174665 by Bull Nakano

ThirstyMan wrote:

hotseatgames wrote: Resistance fired Panic Station for me.

Panic Station was dead in the water to begin with.

Yeah, the thing about this topic is most games just stop showing up to work after orientation.

Tales did kick Talisman's ass out the door though.

Agricola fired my interest in trying other worker placement resource conversion euros. "Why don't we just play Agricola?"

More
30 Mar 2014 06:18 #174685 by Hex Sinister

Sagrilarus wrote:

Hex Sinister wrote: Scipio can lick Grom the Paunch's nuts.

See? This response right here is why you can't boil two games down to trite phrases. Who the hell would want to play Grom the Paunch? Hex Sinister apparently, and that's his business (dead-wrong of course, still his business) but for me personally that's player-repellant right there. If I played this game I'd be spending the time trying to figure out how to put a Revolutionary War theme on top of the same mechanics.

I appreciate the point is to start a debate, but what do you do when you're comparing "yellow" to "tall"? Sometimes the two games simply aren't in the same genre for some players. Ingenious fired Arkham Horror! Wha?

S.

Listen, Sag I was just having a friendly joke with you. Sorry if you took it seriously. I thought this was going to be a "lite" list-type thread ya know? I'll elaborate for you if you are interested.

I think the games are more similar than they would appear to be and in my opinion there is a shared "feel" and overlap going on in both. Let's drop the themes and go with "primitive army battle" games.

In both games you have armies where you are activating units by cardplay and, while there are some differences here, the feel is pretty much the same. Play a card to Activate X units to move, attack, grant ability, etc. Ranged units shoot or move, cavalry move fast and are good at flanking and support, there are leaders though they don't function the same. And so on.

When you break down units in Ancients and Diskwars they are effectively identical though they handle a little differently. Each block in an ancients unit is essentially a hit point. Diskwars units have regular hit points. You could replace the blocks in Ancients with a token and assign it damage if you wanted. Stats are almost identical, movement rate, attack values, special ability. My point is, when you break them down to the ground level there are more similarites than differences.

If people want to perceive the game types are so different because one has a hex-grid and the other uses free form miniatures style movement I think that's a mistake. They are two means to the same end. You could adapt Diskwars to a hex-grid and it wouldn't change that much. I am in no way making some kind of absurd claim like 7 Wonders fired Advanced Squad Leader. No, here are two games, despite differing settings, where you are in the same head-space and thought process. Manoever, counter-attacking, cover, distance. Not how many white cubes makes a brown one. Not yellow and tall, either.

My opinion is not based on which theme/setting is better. Nor am I saying theme doesn't matter. My point is that both games try to achieve the same thing and in my opinion, Diskwars comes out on top. I do think these games share the same "space" for lack of a better term. If you don't think the games are comparable because fantasy vs. history then I can't agree with you.

Ancients has a lot of really interesting things going on mechanically - formations, the battlefield divisions, the order card management, etc. Where I think it goes to die is in the endgame - really boring victory conditions of playing for "banners" every game and a complete lack of any kind of scenario win conditions other than that. Every game ends with some anticlimax and that silent pause where we say "that's it?".

Given the historical setting maybe I expected something a little more interesting than that. And maybe I thought there would be more depth of play than there is but a lot of the times it seems kind of arbitrary. It also felt lacking in tension and flat. I've struggled with figuring out exactly why but I can only go with my feel and what the level of interest was during the game. In the end I found a bunch of great concepts and components bunched together into a mediocre title.

I'd like to get rid of any misconception that people might have about Diskwars that since it is a budget priced game featuring "pogs" that it's a dumb or throwaway title with no substace because that is dead wrong IMO. I'm pretty certain it will be a top 3 game for me in 2014 and I hope folks won't dismiss a good tactical game because of some misguided preconceptions. It's an excellent little AT war game with about the same complexity and play time of C&C:A.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, wadenels, Erik Twice

More
30 Mar 2014 13:46 - 30 Mar 2014 13:47 #174691 by ubarose
With one exception, I've never had a game "fire" another game, as in "This new game is so much better than this old game, I'm never playing this old game again." I've often had new games "bench" an old game.

King of Tokyo has benched all our light filler games. Everyone, even our non-gamer friends know the rules so it is easy to just pull it out and start playing. However, after a year of playing it frequently, I'm starting to miss Alea Iacta Est, Cartagena, Thunder Road, etc.

The D&D boardgames have benched a pile of games such as HeroQuest, Siege of the Citadel, and Descent. It's easy to play and no one has to be the DM. Although people in our group are beginning to feel like pulling out Descent 2 in the near future.

Firefly had benched Merchant of Venus and Merchants and Marauders.

The one exception is Moongha fired Monsters Menace America. Although in all fairness, Monsters Menace America always was disappointing. It just stuck around on the shelves because it was the only giant movie monster themed game around.

White Chapel may fire Scotland Yard/NY Chase. Don't know yet.
Last edit: 30 Mar 2014 13:47 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VonTush

More
30 Mar 2014 14:24 #174693 by charlest
One Night Ultimate Werewolf fired Ultimate Werewolf Inquisition, which of course fired Werewolf. Werewolf sucks for a number of reasons, and Inquisiton was an interesting improvement. However, all I need now is One Night Ultimate Werewolf and Resistance Avalon and I'm set for this genre. One Night is so much better than Werewolf due to the fast playtime, myriad roles, and encouragement to lie as a good guy (which no other social deduction game really does). Love it.

Myth fired Descent. I've waffled between love and hate for Descent for years. So many things about it bother me but not much else did it better. I've only played Myth a couple of times, so my opinion could of course change, but right now it's the only multiplayer dungeon crawl I want to own. The hand management and asymmetrical decks are stellar. I love the free-form nature of the game. The quest system is also fantastic.

Coup fired Love Letter for me. I will still play Love Letter, but I'd rather pull out Coup. The best part of Love Letter in my opinion is the deduction and bluffing, which only appears in miniscule doses. Coup brings it to the forefront.

Flash Point: Fire Rescue fired Pandemic. Pandemic is too puzzle-ly and repetitive. Flash Point is more dynamic, fun, and varied. I also have the ability to play in a campaign mode which keeps me coming back.

Gears of War fired Castle Ravenloft. AI is much better in Gears and the hand management/card play is interesting. Never a dull game.

The Manhattan Project fired every other worker placement game. It's more aggressive, more interesting, and has a unique pace to it that makes me want to return to the game over and over.

Mascarade fired Citadels. It's faster, more fun due to moments of stupidity and confusion, and plays better with a large group.

Mystery of the Abbey fired Clue. I actually enjoy Clue due to its ability to allow you to manipulate the social space. You can turn the damn thing into an interesting bluffing game where you confuse people, by calling out evidence you have (try calling out 3 pieces of evidence only you have mid-way through and see if someone falls for it). Mystery of the Abbey, however, is a similar game but much better. The more open structure of questioning leaves more room for ingenuity, and the board is actually interesting/varied. Highly recommended.

X-Wing fired Wings of War/Glory. I was a pretty big Wings of War fan, however, I love Star Wars a bit more than WWI. Also, the system was slightly evolved with the action mechanic and just a tad deeper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

More
30 Mar 2014 16:50 #174696 by Jackwraith
Like a couple others, I've never had one game "fire" another. I've largely just accumulated and had other games take precedence. I haven't played The Hellgame in ages because it's another DoaM of which I have many and a lot of people can't take the screwing they get from the Hell deck, but I'll never, ever trade it.

Maybe the one situation I had was where my copy of 2nd Ed. Talisman got "fired" by several other games (as I traded it for 4 or 5), including Runebound. Having become a big Runebound fan in the intervening years, I'll never go back to Talisman because if I want to play a roll-and-move, I already have the far more flexible Runebound universe. And I've also picked up Relic, which is just Talisman with another skin...

More
31 Mar 2014 10:29 #174720 by SuperflyPete
My house rules have forced my hand in "firings". I only have a set amount of space, and like Tom Vasel's "I have to get rid of games with the same box size" I have to get rid of games that have the same scope.

So, games that do the same thing as another game, but better, stay, and the inferior game goes. Alien Frontiers fired Kingsburg, for example. Battlestar Galactica fired Shadows over Camelot, for another. To a great degree, I miss many of those games, but when you don't get to play as many games as you'd like as often as you like, you tend to migrate towards the gems.

I also am the kind of person who would rather play a great game 100 times than 5 mediocre games 20 times or 20 randomly selected games 5 times. I want to play a game until I've attained a high level of proficiency at it (along with my group) so that when we play the games, there's no runaway leader due to a skill difference. El Grande is the prime example. I've probably played that 100 times and it's never clear who's going to win because I play it with the same 3-4 people, and have for 3 years or so.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.301 seconds