October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2694 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

PS3 issue

More
23 Apr 2014 10:36 #176344 by Dr. Mabuse
PS3 issue was created by Dr. Mabuse
So before X-mas a buddy gave me his spare PS3. I haven't had a system since I sold my XBOX 360 a few years back and the price and timing seemed right. I'm not going to bore you with details of how much I REALLY missed video gaming but after a few hours of playing Fallout (LOVE IT!) it stopped playing the games and dvds.

No yellow light but by all indications the laser is shot. To replace it would be 100 bucks so my question to all of you, is it worth replacing it or should I track down a new PS3.

In addition to having a tight budget, I've got a shitload of games for the system so moving to a next gen console is out of the question.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2014 11:03 #176349 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Re: PS3 issue
new PS3 would be just over double that so you should go new.

I think the GTA V bundle with the huge hard drive is only 270$. Smaller barebones PS3s are 220$. Just go big and it'll last you forever until you're ready to move to next-gen one day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
23 Apr 2014 11:05 #176350 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Re: PS3 issue
Is it easy to transfer my saved game from the old system to the new one?

More
23 Apr 2014 11:12 #176351 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic Re: PS3 issue
I JUST had my original fat boy PS3 die on me. I was going through the same dilemma as you. Eventually I settled on a 500GB Slim Model for $250 on Amazon. It came with the Last of Us (which I haven't touched). The prices fluctuate on Amazon, but I was able to finally snag one for a decent price.

My system had the YLOD...The reason I just bought a whole new system was that after doing some research I found that most fixes are only temporary. Most of the time after you get it fixed the system will die again in 6-12 months. I didn't feel like going through that. I know you don't have the YLOD, but I figured I'd give you my reasons.

Overall I'm pleased with the slim re-design. It's eerily silent while playing games and blu rays and generates almost no heat. I'm hoping this thing last me for a while.

More
23 Apr 2014 11:14 - 23 Apr 2014 11:15 #176352 by Black Barney
The game save transfer is easy with Xbox360's so I have to assume it's easy with PS3 but I have zero experience with Sony :(

$100 to repair a PS3 would be reasonable in the first year or two of PS3 but now, it's way too expensive on a relative basis. Just go new, especially that you have all those games. I don't know if you've played GTAV yet, but that bundle would be perfect if you haven't. The game is amazing.
Last edit: 23 Apr 2014 11:15 by Black Barney.

More
23 Apr 2014 11:18 #176354 by Dr. Mabuse

Egg Shen wrote: I JUST had my original fat boy PS3 die on me. I was going through the same dilemma as you. Eventually I settled on a 500GB Slim Model for $250 on Amazon. It came with the Last of Us (which I haven't touched). The prices fluctuate on Amazon, but I was able to finally snag one for a decent price.

My system had the YLOD...The reason I just bought a whole new system was that after doing some research I found that most fixes are only temporary. Most of the time after you get it fixed the system will die again in 6-12 months. I didn't feel like going through that. I know you don't have the YLOD, but I figured I'd give you my reasons.

Overall I'm pleased with the slim re-design. It's eerily silent while playing games and blu rays and generates almost no heat. I'm hoping this thing last me for a while.

That's the info I need, thanks Egg!

More
23 Apr 2014 11:21 #176355 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: PS3 issue
That quiet/no heat part of your response means it's probably saving you $10 a month in electricity. Heat comes out of the wall socket. That alone may be the deciding factor on TCO grounds.

S.

More
23 Apr 2014 11:22 #176356 by Dr. Mabuse

Black Barney wrote: The game save transfer is easy with Xbox360's so I have to assume it's easy with PS3 but I have zero experience with Sony :(

$100 to repair a PS3 would be reasonable in the first year or two of PS3 but now, it's way too expensive on a relative basis. Just go new, especially that you have all those games. I don't know if you've played GTAV yet, but that bundle would be perfect if you haven't. The game is amazing.

I have a love/hate relationship with GTA. I LOVE the game so much I spend the majority of time finding the hidden caches of weapons and secret items. By the time I finish the game I feel done with gaming (the reason I sold my last system).

Yeah, I think new will probably be the best route at this point. Thanks gents!

More
23 Apr 2014 11:27 #176358 by Black Barney
the hidden items and collectibles in GTAV are a blast to go after, Mabuse. A ton of them are underwater and you have to worry about sharks while you're diving plane wrecks trying to find them. Absolutely terrifying.

Other times, you're landing helicopters on the gridirons below bridges trying to get items, it's hilariously difficult. I loved it.

More
23 Apr 2014 11:48 #176363 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Re: PS3 issue
I'd say its worth getting a can of compressed air and spraying it inside. The laser could be working fine and just has dirt on it so it can't read anything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
23 Apr 2014 11:53 #176364 by Dr. Mabuse

Black Barney wrote: the hidden items and collectibles in GTAV are a blast to go after, Mabuse. A ton of them are underwater and you have to worry about sharks while you're diving plane wrecks trying to find them. Absolutely terrifying.

Other times, you're landing helicopters on the gridirons below bridges trying to get items, it's hilariously difficult. I loved it.

YES and YES!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
23 Apr 2014 12:00 #176365 by Dr. Mabuse

Mad Dog wrote: I'd say its worth getting a can of compressed air and spraying it inside. The laser could be working fine and just has dirt on it so it can't read anything.

Do I have to open it up with a screwdriver? I think it's the Original model.

More
23 Apr 2014 13:30 #176374 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Re: PS3 issue
Don't know about original model as I have slim. I would just use
the red tube attachment that comes with the can and blow into where the disc goes.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds