October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2655 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Anyone suffer through DayZ?

More
24 Apr 2014 09:16 #176431 by charlest
I was off work for a week last summer (work place was hit with a tornado) and tried out the DayZ mod for Arma II. It was maybe some of the best video-gaming I had done in years (intermixed with some of the most annoying as well).

Simple things like bumping into someone in a grassy field and trying to keep them calm and their weapon pointed down carried a tension I hadn't felt in multiplayer gaming in years. Observing a town for 5+ minutes to make sure it was clear before sneaking inside shouldn't be as fun as it was.

So, is anyone playing this? I really want to pick up the standalone but the budget is tight right now so I haven't jumped off the ledge. The fact that the standalone doesn't have vehicles yet is also hugely disappointing.

Also, I'm shamelessly hooked on the DayZ Morgan Freeman youtube videos. Can't get enough.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2014 09:34 #176432 by SuperflyPete
I really wanted to get this. REALLY. But it's not on Xbox and quite honestly, I can't be bothered to get on the PC anymore.

The one thing I like about console games (as an aside) is that once it comes out, that's THE platform. You don't have developers making games that require video cards or CPUs that you'd have to upgrade to. It's like a 3-year hiatus on hardware purchasing.

More
24 Apr 2014 09:38 #176433 by SuperflyPete

charlest wrote: Also, I'm shamelessly hooked on the DayZ Morgan Freeman youtube videos. Can't get enough.

God bless you and your children for turning me onto this. I never saw one.

Now I have.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
24 Apr 2014 09:49 #176436 by charlest

SuperflyTNT wrote: I really wanted to get this. REALLY. But it's not on Xbox and quite honestly, I can't be bothered to get on the PC anymore.

The one thing I like about console games (as an aside) is that once it comes out, that's THE platform. You don't have developers making games that require video cards or CPUs that you'd have to upgrade to. It's like a 3-year hiatus on hardware purchasing.

Definitely understand the PC aversion, it definitely adds work and frustration into the mix. I'm a lifelong PC gamer though (currently don't own any consoles) and will probably never diverge.

By the way, if you only watch one Morgan Freeman DayZ video, watch the Squeal like a Pig One. I can't like it now because I'm at work and Youtube is blocked unfortunately. "Bear Grylls slip 'n hide."

More
24 Apr 2014 09:53 #176437 by RobertB
SuperflyTNT wrote:

I'd go with that, except that for me and FPS's, keyboard/mouse is so much easier than a console's controller that it's not even a contest. My PC is 2 years old, and I think I have at least one more year in it.

More
24 Apr 2014 10:42 #176447 by MacDirk Diggler
Sorry to be the one to break the news..... but that's not Morgan Freeman,

More
24 Apr 2014 10:50 #176449 by SuperflyPete

OMG

9 bucks well spent
The following user(s) said Thank You: wkover

More
24 Apr 2014 10:54 #176451 by ThirstyMan
I have Arma II can I just get the mod or is the standalone entirely different? I'm on PC>

More
24 Apr 2014 10:56 #176452 by charlest

Alastair MacDirk wrote: Sorry to be the one to break the news..... but that's not Morgan Freeman,

Right, next you're going to tell us that those Visa commercials from 2010 weren't Morgan Freeman either.

More
24 Apr 2014 10:59 #176454 by charlest

ThirstyMan wrote: I have Arma II can I just get the mod or is the standalone entirely different? I'm on PC>

You can just get the mod for free. It's on Steam or you can download it from the net. Installing/running it as a mod is kind of quirky (like much of the Arma engine). You'll need to look for instructions on how to do that.

The standalone is also on the Arma II engine but it's a standalone game that requires purchase. The original DayZ creator branched off and created the standalone, while a team from Bohemia was dedicated to the mod for Arma II.

They're functionally the same game but there's little things that are different. They will probably become substantially different within a year or two as development furthers. One immediate difference is the Mod has vehicles but the standalone does not (yet, it will). Also, the standalone factors in your character's blood type, so you can't just use a blood bag for a quick transfusion unless the type matches. The mod doesn't have this.

More
24 Apr 2014 11:05 - 24 Apr 2014 11:09 #176455 by wkover

ThirstyMan wrote: I have Arma II can I just get the mod or is the standalone entirely different? I'm on PC>

The original mod is free. To get it to work, you need both Arma 2 and Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead. (I think both are currently on sale through Steam, as a package, for $6.25.)

I also recommend that you use DayZ Commander to keep track of servers, keep all DayZ components up to date, and launch the game. A link:

www.dayzcommander.com/

There's also a stand-alone DayZ that doesn't require Arma 2. It's in Beta, costs $30, and I've never played it.

Edit: Sorry, took too long and was beaten to the punch.
Last edit: 24 Apr 2014 11:09 by wkover.

More
24 Apr 2014 11:10 #176457 by SuperflyPete
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
24 Apr 2014 12:12 #176467 by hotseatgames
I realize the zombies aren't really the point of DayZ, but why does there never seem to be any of them around?

More
24 Apr 2014 12:51 #176472 by Ska_baron
I second hotseat's question.

Game looks like it COULD have a cool vibe, but I often wondered if it indeed translated knowing the gamer type who frequents FPSs.

More
24 Apr 2014 13:18 #176481 by charlest
Have you played it or are you asking because you've watched videos?

The reason I'm asking, is because they are all around in the Mod, but from the videos I've seen of the standalone (the Morgan Freeman ones particularly), they don't seem to be very prevelent. Not sure why.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds