October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2653 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

FTL Faster Than Light discussion thread

More
29 May 2014 22:38 #179280 by Disgustipater
I managed to unlock the Stealth Cruiser via quest and thought I'd use its Long Range Sensors to unlock the Rock Cruiser via quest. Didn't run across the Rock Homeworlds but I did come across two Chain Vulcan lasers, so I decided to see how the Flagship would handle it. Despite hacking my weapons, it turns out it doesn't hold up very well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2014 23:02 #179284 by jeb
Chain Vulcan = instagib.

...Well, not insta, it takes a bit to warm up. That is the best 95 scrap you can spend in the game.

More
29 May 2014 23:08 #179285 by Disgustipater
Yeah, I bought one, and then just found the other one. It was glorious.

More
30 May 2014 09:12 #179308 by Gary Sax
I've never used it, I'll have to check it out...

More
30 May 2014 09:43 #179315 by Disgustipater
It's 4 power, shoots 1 laser with an initial cooldown of 11 seconds. After 5 shots, it's down to a 1.1 second cooldown. A non-stop stream of lasers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
30 May 2014 09:55 #179317 by Erik Twice
I wanted to unlock ships so I decided to play on Normal and I just found out why missiles are so incredibly annoying on hard.

On Normal, if you have fast weapons, you'll shoot before the enemy does so you can disable the missile launcher.

On Hard, the enemy has some kind of bonus that makes them shoot first by a slim margin even if you have the same weapons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
09 Jun 2014 17:28 #180062 by Erik Twice
I unlocked the Slug A ship so I decided to make an Easy run to try it.

Oh man, this ship is hilarious. It's totally awful and its main gimmick is completely useless against the flagship but killing the enemy crew with a beam that erases them is just so fun I don't care if I would be better off blowing their hull. And by the time it got useless, I sold all my weapons except a very late game Burst Laser MkIII and maxed shields, engines, bought two Defense Drones, Mind Control and a Teleporter. I simply tanked any incoming damage, killed their crew and kept upgrading my ship.

I got to the flaghsip without a real plan so after a couple unsuccessful attempts at destroying their Medbay I slowly took the entire enemy crew by mindcontrolling them and taking them into my ship for a beating. Since my boarders could disable the weapons without them being repaired, I took no damage, it simply took a long time.

But my murderous spree went a bit too far and after the flagship lost its left win, the AI took over. Fortunately, I had so many shields and such a high level of dodge that I simply took out the weapons, then the shield and sloooooowly damaged the ship until it exploded.

The third part was the hardest because I couldn't bypass the shield with my boarders. Fortunately, it was extremely unlikely for the missiles to hit my ship since I had two defense drones and max dodge, the normal lasers can't get in and the laser special did, at most, 1 point of damage. So after ten minutes, I took down the supershield, sent my boarders and started tearing the ship down. It took my half an hour but finally the ship was down and I won on easy.

Very fun. Shame it isn't viable on higher difficulty levels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
09 Jun 2014 17:44 #180065 by Gary Sax
I have always wanted to try a "set fires" run in the game. Just setting fires w/either drones or the fire beam on everything and avoiding the autodrones where possible.

More
10 Jun 2014 03:56 #180106 by mads b.
Okay, how the hell do you get all the scrap needed to upgrade your ships? I play on normal, and I always have a hard time finding enough scrap to get shields, extras and new weapon and/or drone slots.

More
10 Jun 2014 04:33 #180107 by Erik Twice

mads b. wrote: Okay, how the hell do you get all the scrap needed to upgrade your ships? I play on normal, and I always have a hard time finding enough scrap to get shields, extras and new weapon and/or drone slots.

Don't repair your ship, buy anything that gives you more scrap (Scrap Recovery Arm, Long-Range Scanners) and always keep 80-90 scrap to buy good stuff at stores. Also prioritize hostile sectors over friendly ones so you find more battles and don't accept surrenders unless you need the fuel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds