October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Let's Talk DCC

More
31 May 2014 09:26 #179446 by Mr. White
Let's Talk DCC was created by Mr. White
Specifically how it compares to old school Basic D&D. I'm less interested in hearing about the funnel and more interested in how the game itself plays compared to D&D and particularly how the modules stand up against D&D classics like The Lost City and Palace of the Silver Princess.

Oh, those 'zocchi' dice are already one knock against it. Can you even still get those? How much do they run?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2014 10:39 #179451 by Bull Nakano
Replied by Bull Nakano on topic Re: Let's Talk DCC
You can proxy Zocchi dice pretty easy, it even tells you how to in the book if you just have a normal polyhedral set. d24 and d30 are trickiest but you can do it, and you can still find them. In a few months they'll be available from impact miniatures. There's also a DCC app if you have an apple or android device called Crawler's Companion which has all the dice and things you need, I just use that for the stuff over d20.

I've never played 1st ed d&d, but I have all the books and this is considerably lighter to play. Of course it depends on the judge and how they run it, but the guy who typically runs games I'm in encourages us to just do whatever and be creative. He draws out maps on the fly, but they're just to explain the room to us (I'm extremely visual), we don't battle on them and everything is eyeballed.

The system offers a lot of freedom in play and the classes are generally really cool. I've played halfling, thief, fighter, spell caster and maybe a couple others and never felt like I had nothing to do in a fight. The magic system is really cool, a lot of the combat abilities are.

Does that help at all?

More
31 May 2014 11:49 #179454 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Re: Let's Talk DCC
It is not very similar to B/X or BECMI, at least if you played those by the book. E.g. DCC doesn't have strict movement, turn tracking, light source radii, reaction rolls, morale checks, or any of those other things that make old D&D an advanced version of Descent.

DCC does play pretty fast and light. Structurally it is a very stripped down version of 3e. A lot of things are left up to DM fiat. The gonzo nature of the random tables throws a LOT of uncertainty into the game. You might fumble your spell casting check and have your head turn into a chicken's, or knock over three opponents with one blow, or whatever. It's all over the place, and the group really has to be on board with that kind of goofy fun.

Compared 3e and 4e, there's no emphasis on optimized character builds or any of that nonsense. No feats, no skills, no Vancian casting, no at-will/encounter/daily powers. But once you get past zero level, the characters are surprisingly competent.

The classes are nice and distinct, and all have a different feel to them. All fun.

The adventures, well, it's been years since I read the two D&D ones you mention, but I really like the DCC adventures. The two main authors, Harley Stroh and Michael Curtis, are some of the best in the business. They really bring the bizarre to every module. Planar travel, Cthuloid-headed cult leaders, weird magic items, mutations, death gods, the whole nine yards. I will note that the first few adventures for DCC proper are pretty average; I think they were still trying to figure out what they had going on and were writing in more of a 3e/4e mindset. But Sailors on the Starless Sea, The Sea Queen Escapes, and Swords Against Death are all great and can hold their own against any of the classics.

Zocchi dice are available for a couple bucks each. The app that Bull Nakano mentions is great, but I also got the dice. They're fun, and not really any weirder than d12s were in 1975.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
31 May 2014 18:25 #179469 by DukeofChutney
Replied by DukeofChutney on topic Re: Let's Talk DCC
DCC is currently my favourite system for a couple of reasons. Its very easy to play (although the books big, the actual rules could probably be condensed in to 30 pages and you don't need most of them for a funnel session). It feels to me like a very fun first game, with each of the classes designed to maximise the amount awesome you can do whilst making it easy to run for the gm.

the funnel is a trade off. Each player gets 3-4 level 0 (they have 1d4 hp) characters and they do a short adventure. The benefit is it allows you to get your modern RPG players used to character death and allows for funny stories of the few characters that exceed the odds and become level 1 heros. The downside is it forces you to play a certain kind of coming of age story at the start of each campaign. The idea that your character trained for 20 years to be a sword master isn't really an option.

The Zoochi dice in my view are positive of the game. The game uses them to cut out stats over head and book keeping. Rather than adding and subtracting numbers you get a better die for your attack. Also rolling weird dice is fun. The d7 is hard to get, but most of the others can be acquired fairly cheap on ebay.

It isn't basic but it is definitely DnD. Its a half way mark between 3.5 and basic in its rules.

The magic system is awesome. Probably my favourite thing about the game. I'm not really big on fire and forget magic. Here you have to make a check and failing it has serious consequences for your character. So its a risk reward system.

The only other major downside to the game is you will spend a fair amount of time looking up tables. Each spell has a table as do a crits etc. The tables add a lot of colour and entertainment to the game so i quite like it, but it could turn others off.

More
31 May 2014 19:25 #179471 by Bull Nakano
The judge I game with has these reference book handouts that he gives every player at the start of a session, it's like a small 12 page booklet that has all the tables.

More
31 May 2014 21:53 #179474 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re: Let's Talk DCC
Thanks, all!

I'm liking what I'm hearing. It looks like there's a 3rd printing of the rules. I assume it has any necessary revisions and is the most recent set to get.

Oh, Bull, anyway I can get an electronic copy of that reference book to print off?

More
01 Jun 2014 10:02 #179493 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Re: Let's Talk DCC
I played it once and read a good chunk of the rulebook. It's a lot of fun, and as mentioned, the magic system is crazy. I got a d30 from a chessex booth at a con.

More
01 Jun 2014 11:39 #179499 by Jason Lutes
Replied by Jason Lutes on topic Re: Let's Talk DCC
You can find a bunch of good DCC RPG resources here .

The game is great, great fun. I found out about DCC RPG just before I found out about Dungeon World, and my group had a total blast playing. As has been said, the modules by Harley Stroh and Michael Curtis are awesome, pulpy, swords-and-eldritch-sorcery stuff.

I know you said you didn't want to hear about the Funnel, but if you do get going on a campaign, I cannot emphasize enough the pleasures of the Funnel. Characters who emerge alive from a Funnel feel like heroes in a different way than in any other game, because their origin story has essentially been played out at the table.

If you're curious about actual play, I logged my group's first Funnel experience here . I touch on some of the DCC RPG mechanics, but regrettably not the most awesome ones (Patrons, Magic, Deeds of Arms), because they don't even come into play until you reach level 1!

More
01 Jun 2014 13:21 #179503 by Bull Nakano
It's at the link that Jason posted, but here's the booklet I was talking about:
docs.google.com/file/d/0B2qlP_VOf718UDVRSExzVzJMTzg/edit

More
22 Aug 2014 10:13 - 22 Aug 2014 10:13 #185680 by Mr. White
This is back on the radar.

Anyone have any idea how different the final, published rules are vs the beta (which still seems to be available in Goodman's downloads)?

www.goodman-games.com/downloads/
Last edit: 22 Aug 2014 10:13 by Mr. White.

More
22 Aug 2014 13:14 #185703 by DukeofChutney
read both at some point, can't recall the exact differences, but they are not major.

More
22 Aug 2014 13:24 #185706 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re: Let's Talk DCC
How does moving from Level 0 to Level 1 work? Do you get to pick your class? Is it random or determined by your stats or anything?

More
22 Aug 2014 14:06 #185716 by Mr. White
Looking for accessories.

Is there a GM screen for this or only the ones included in those kickstarter projects I missed?

Also, I understand that Impact miniatures is supposed to start selling DCC dice. Are these out yet? it looks like you can order a few singles on their site, but I was under the impression I could do a onetime purchase on a tube of all the dice.

More
22 Aug 2014 16:51 #185734 by DukeofChutney
When you get 10xp you choose a class. Given that race is class if you are dorf, halfing or elf your class is already chosen. If human you have some choices.

Goodman Games have recently announced that they will be releasing a dice set (Gencon announcement) though someone. Its not out yet. Gamescience Dice (by rumour now defunct) are still available. A full Game science set will cover your DCC needs. They are pricy but they are the best RPG dice around. Sharp edges and all that.

I do not believe there is currently a GM screen, but i could be wrong. The game could use one. There is a dice app however at purple sorcerer games website that is quite handy.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds