October 09, 2023
2449 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2649 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Magic card suggestions needed

More
11 Jun 2014 07:08 #180224 by ChristopherMD
So I have a draft cube made up from only Kamigawa cards. I keep it with some other card games in one of those long white boxes. The box was getting pretty dirty looking so bought a new one and decided to expand a little with a bigger box. I'd like to add some non-Kami cards but haven't kept up with Magic for a long time. Here are my criteria; must be new layout cards. Not sure what set they changed the look but I prefer it over the older cards. My other criteria is nothing that will break the bank getting it. Considering all that I'd like to get about twenty cards for each color that are good for drafting? Single cards or multiples of a card are fine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2014 08:36 #180226 by repoman
I'm no Dragonstout but I'm gonna suggest a couple lands of each color. Can't go wrong with those.

More
11 Jun 2014 09:00 #180230 by Bull Nakano
What do you want these card to do, abstractly? Do you want finishers, build around cards, stone cold bombs? what are the synergies from kamigawa you're supporting in your cube? About how many rares/how many cards is your cube?

You can probably get 20 rares for ~$5, is that what you had in mind to spend?

More
11 Jun 2014 09:03 #180231 by Bull Nakano
I think a cube should be built in the same way a draft format is, in that when building the pool you have paths players can go down, which are varied and many. I try not to include a ton of role player cards, because I like card to be flexible, as to not shoehorn a player into a deck, but role player cards are fun too, just sparingly.

More
11 Jun 2014 09:09 #180233 by Bull Nakano
The tricky part about a kami block, is many of the block mechanisms never came back, like flip, arcane, ninja, and sweep. That leaves us mostly with spirits and legends to focus on. which is solid, there's plenty to work with there.

Are there any problems happening in your cube you'd like to address? is anything overpowered or never played?

More
11 Jun 2014 09:18 - 11 Jun 2014 09:25 #180234 by Bull Nakano
Here's a few to consider:

Spectral Procession (this is a good card, but I'm not sure you want it on second thought. I don't think kami does anything with "number of spirits in play")
Teysa, Orzhov Scion
Battleground Geist
Beckon Apparition (if you're supporting soulshift this card is gold)
Drogskol Captain
Angel of Flight Alabaster
Last edit: 11 Jun 2014 09:25 by Bull Nakano.

More
11 Jun 2014 09:46 #180235 by ChristopherMD
There are no flip cards in my cube because they're stupid.

Its about 700 cards. Basically 1 of the rares, 2 of uncommons, and up to 4 of commons. Its been edited over time based on plays. Kami tends to do a good job of supporting itself, which is one of the reasons I like it for cube. So I'm probably looking for a mix of opening new strategies and stuff that's just fun. Although support cards could be good too.

More
11 Jun 2014 10:07 #180238 by Bull Nakano
Well if spirits are doing good, you don't need most of my list, but I'd add in a set of Beckon Apparition.

More
11 Jun 2014 10:12 #180239 by ChristopherMD

Bull Nakano wrote: Well if spirits are doing good, you don't need most of my list, but I'd add in a set of Beckon Apparition.

I'll definitely be checking out all the cards you listed regardless.

More
11 Jun 2014 14:02 #180269 by dragonstout
Bull Nakano brought this up already, but: Kamigawa block is among the LEAST-amenable blocks to adding outside cards. Kamigawa block's most glaring problem was that its mechanics were "parasitic", i.e. they tend to only work well with other cards from within the same block. "Splice onto Arcane", for example, is extraordinarily parasitic. The "spiritcraft" mechanic ("do X whenever a Spirit or Arcane spell is cast") and Soulshift mechanics are also parasitic, though Bull Nakano mentioned a few outside Spirits they'd work with.

OH! Is your Cube just Champions, or do you include Betrayers and Saviors as well? If you include Betrayers and want some more ninjas, there actually were a couple sweet new ninjas recently printed (there has never been another Arcane spell printed, though):
Sakashima's Student
Silent-Blade Oni

Vela the Night-Clad, from the same set, seems intended to be a Ninja enabler, as well.

But literally anything you add will dilute the Splice Onto Arcane mechanic and just generally everything that refers to Arcane.

Personally, I'd disagree with Bull Nakano about adding Beckon Apparition, because I'm a fan of mechanics actually getting *used*; all Beckon Apparition will do is counter a Soulshift trigger, which is sad when a Soulshift player is already playing shitty-ass 5-mana 2/2s just so they can use their Soulshift ability.

PS I actually love Split Cards; I don't care how ugly they were, that was a sweet, thematic mechanic (and IMHO more pleasant to use than Flip cards).

More
11 Jun 2014 14:44 #180285 by ChristopherMD
Champions, Betrayers, and Saviors.

I'm not sure how much it will actually dilute to add these cards due to the large size, imo, of the existing cube. Can always take some out later.

What about stuff that deals with Legendary?

More
11 Jun 2014 16:34 - 11 Jun 2014 16:36 #180303 by dragonstout

Mad Dog wrote: What about stuff that deals with Legendary?

Captain Sisay
Champion's Helm
Empress Galina
Heroes' Podium
Tsabo Tavoc
Willow Satyr
Loyal Retainers

If you feel like crazy-splurging, there's Karakas too.

Not saying any of the above are good ideas (I like Heroes' Podium the best, I think, or Captain Sisay), but those are ALL the playable non-Kamigawa cards where "legendary matters".
Last edit: 11 Jun 2014 16:36 by dragonstout.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.514 seconds