October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Sunless Sea/ Fallen London

More
01 Jul 2014 16:35 - 01 Jul 2014 16:36 #181452 by ThirstyMan
For those who've enjoyed the web based Fallen London, here is a new PC game based around the same world. Here's what they say:

Welcome to Early Access! Come in, sit down, pull up a vicar. They're tasty.

LOSE YOUR MIND. EAT YOUR CREW.

Take the helm of your customised steamship and set sail for the unknown! Sunless Sea is a 2D game of discovery, survival and loneliness set in the award-winning Victorian Gothic universe of Fallen London. Will you succumb to madness and cannibalism on the black waters? Or return home triumphant with a hold full of precious loot?

Events can turn out differently every game - sometimes, even if you make the same choices. Will you lose your sweetheart to a curse? Redeem, betray or consume the Genial Magician? Sell your soul to the Wistful Deviless or spurn her advances? Is the Dawn Machine your salvation, or your doom?

You are the captain. It’s your call.

A deep, compelling world packed with secrets and stories

Beautiful, hand drawn 2D art

Light and dark. Stray too far from the gas-lamps of civilisation and your crew will grow fearful and eventually lose their sanity. But there is treasure out there in the darkness…

Real-time, pausable combat with dozens of different abilities

Leave a legacy! When you die (and you will) your next captain may choose to inherit a skill, a chart of discovered islands or a beloved officer.

Upgrade your steamship with powerful engines, flensing cannons, and pneumatic torpedo guns. Or just buy a bigger, better ship.

Hire unique officers like the Haunted Doctor and the Irrepressible Cannoneer. Each has a story to tell, if you can draw it out of them.

Choose from a menagerie of ship’s mascots: the Comatose Ferret, the Wretched Mog, the Elegiac Cockatoo, and more!

Trade silk and souls, mushroom wine and hallucinogenic honey...

Cross the wide black sea

Find your way home

OK, tell me that doesn't sound awesome!!!!!!!!

It's $17 I think
Last edit: 01 Jul 2014 16:36 by ThirstyMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: trif

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2014 19:09 #181456 by trif
Replied by trif on topic Re: Sunless Sea/ Fallen London
I've played Fallen London intermittently and I might just have to pick this up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
02 Jul 2014 11:28 #181488 by Jason Lutes
I backed this on KS and am really looking forward to the final game. I'm not going to touch it during early access because I don't want to taint the experience of playing.

More
02 Jul 2014 12:23 #181499 by iguanaDitty
I agree this looks really interesting. Also concerned about the early access bits...

But my bigger concern is gameplay. Fallen London turned me off with its incremental skill improving gameplay where it took fucking forever to improve your skills. Hopefully this is not the same.

More
02 Jul 2014 13:12 #181505 by ThirstyMan
It has some similarities with Fallen London (collecting souls etc) but there is also real time fighting with the flensing cannons or whatever your ship is equipped with and upgrading your ship.

Last night I steered the ship around the coast while avoiding massive Giant Crabs then got attacked by a flock of bats. Took a mission to deliver passengers to somewhere or other. Ships surgeon is a weird mofo trying to get information from him is like getting blood out of a stone.

You can take on more officers and crew at each port of call. It's basically Lovecraftian horror.

I get the not wanting to walk in on alpha stage. It's pretty developed already so I'm cool with it. Currently playing Silver Tree, a prequel to Fallen London set in the Middle East on the web. I'm a papal emissary to the Khanate. I want to know how London got stolen by bats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds