October 09, 2023
2481 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

D&D Basic Rules Free Online

More
11 Jul 2014 11:05 #182018 by bioball
So they are releasing the D&D Starter Kit (now $12 on Amazon) at the end of the month, but Wizards has released the basic rules online (including basic races, character creation, 4 classic classes [you don't need more]combat, spells and more).

Best part is they've returned to the roots of the game and have left out a lot of the "tactical miniatures" BS.

media.wizards.com/downloads/dnd/DnDBasicRules.pdf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2014 11:25 #182026 by Sagrilarus
The armor classes are backwards. High is good for some reason. They should have picked that up in editing.

So what is the version number on these new rules? There's about a dozen versions of the game best I can tell.

More
11 Jul 2014 19:44 #182068 by bioball
This is THE official version of the rules. The ones they are going to release in the starter kit minus a few things (like extra races and extra classes).

The previous rule releases were playtest versions and I believe there are 5.

More
12 Jul 2014 15:18 #182108 by DeletedUser
I've been reading the PDF and liking what I see so far. I haven't roleplayed for 20+ years and it's bringing back a nice familiar feeling, but I can see the advances that have been made as well. Seems to be landing somewhere between 2nd and 3rd editions with some optional 4th edition modules you can throw in if you pick up the PHB and DMG. Speaking of which, while it was a good idea to issue a free PDF, I can't imagine too many people playing D&D 5th from this PDF alone. So a question mark over the PDF's real value in the long-term. Good if you just want a free peek at what 5th edition looks like.

I've been thinking about getting back into RPGs over the past few months and I think I might give it a try using this new edition. I sincerely hope D&D reverses the downward slide it has been on and claws back some ground from Pathfinder. I know it was an own goal, but I have some brand loyalty fueled mainly by nostalgia for D&D. And Pathfinder itself could do with some revisions.

More
12 Jul 2014 16:29 #182112 by DukeofChutney
The purpose of the Pdf i suspect is to give something to the old schoolers and penny pinchers. New rpg players and most DnD fans won't use it but i suspect it will be widely read and discussed on forums etc and build some hype for the game.

I've had a skim read. Im not going to pick it up because between DCC, S&W white box and Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea i have a;; the DnD i need and this basic ruleset is actually more complex than each of those, but it does look like an easier way in than either 3.5 or 4 where.

More
13 Jul 2014 12:13 #182141 by bioball
Yeah I think this whole pdf is a step in the right direction. It showcases enough rules to allow for the resolution of events in an objective way using dice (drama) as well as several quick modifiers without hordes of tables to look up (love advantage/disadvantage).

It also re-focuses role-playing back on "role" instead of min/max player pieces for a shitty table top miniatures games which is where D&D was taken in 3.5 & 4th editions. I think it seems like Pathfinder might be heading that direction as well.

Another problem I hope it reverses, is it seems to me that too many player "classes" result in players using them a lazy short hand for actual role-playing. You want to be a swashbuckler like the First Sword of Bravos or Inigo Montoya then take the fighter class but play the character as something other than a knight. You really don't need a swashbuckling class.

I might have to pick up the starter kit just for old times sake.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
13 Jul 2014 13:37 #182143 by Count Orlok

bioball wrote: I might have to pick up the starter kit just for old times sake.

I was pretty much on the same page as you, and went and picked up the starter box. I wouldn't really recommend it, as the adventure is quite tepid. I advise waiting until there are better options, or just looking around online. Enworld has these, although I believe they are from the playtest: www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?categoryid=38

More
13 Jul 2014 16:00 #182150 by DeletedUser
I've also ordered the Starter Box but wasn't expecting anything spectacular. It was just so damn cheap that I thought what the hell. But pre-gen characters isn't really my bag, so I probably won't get much use from it. Looking forward to picking up the PHB when it arrives.

I've been in two minds about the advantage/disadvantage rule. I can see it being used well and poorly depending on the DM and the group. You would have to be careful to apply it only to exceptions not already covered in some way by the rules and also not to get too caught up in minutia when trying to find an advantage (like some players will do).

I like the rules around being from unconscious to dying and the saving throws vs death stuff. Not sure if these are new or were introduced in an earlier edition, but when I last played it was the whole unconscious at 0 hp, dead at -10 hp, which always seemed a bit clumsy.

Healing through rest seemed a bit quick to me at first glance, i.e. regain all hit points after just eight hours rest. I guess I'm just used to more of a grind without the aid of magic or potions.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds