October 09, 2023
2477 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2682 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Herr, have a Destiny beta invite

More
18 Jul 2014 10:01 - 18 Jul 2014 10:02 #182478 by Michael Barnes
Two of 'em- redeem at Bungie.net.

F772-QMNG-N6DD
BBLD-5GNL-QBBE

It's REALLY good.
Last edit: 18 Jul 2014 10:02 by Michael Barnes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2014 10:15 - 18 Jul 2014 10:17 #182479 by ThirstyMan
Yeah but I hate signing in using Google, Facebook, Xbox or PSN when I don't have any of those.

What is it anyway? Some sort of MMO?

EDIT: Right it's for consoles so that's me out.
Last edit: 18 Jul 2014 10:17 by ThirstyMan.

More
18 Jul 2014 10:17 #182480 by Applejack
Are you trolling? The code redemption says it's a nine digit code, those are twelve digit. WTF?

More
18 Jul 2014 10:54 #182483 by Michael Barnes
Hang on, just put it in as a redeem code in PSN. That should work. I guess you do the Bungie.net to get the codes.

Andy, it's the new game from the folks that made Halo.

More
18 Jul 2014 11:16 - 18 Jul 2014 11:17 #182484 by QPCloudy

Michael Barnes wrote: Hang on, just put it in as a redeem code in PSN. That should work. I guess you do the Bungie.net to get the codes.

Andy, it's the new game from the folks that made Halo.

Invited you to my fireteam last night. WTF, lol. Anyhow, I'll be on again this evening if you want to squad up for a bit.

I had Diablo 3 paid off and $5 on FarCry4 and Alien. I'm thinking I might cancel all those and just put all the chips in the Destiny basket for now. This is REALLY fun. I can't quite put my finger on why, but I'm having more fun here than I was in the Alpha.
Last edit: 18 Jul 2014 11:17 by QPCloudy.

More
18 Jul 2014 12:02 #182493 by Black Barney
Cloudy, don't cancel the 5$ on Alien!

More
18 Jul 2014 12:15 #182495 by Michael Barnes
No, do cancel it because that game will be $20 by Christmas. Not because it's necessarily going to be bad, but because it's yet another AAA game that is going to have very limited replay and when people finish it, it's going to Gamestop. It'll be the exact same as what happens with every Assassin's Creed game, for example. It may be good. But it won't be worth $60 when you could put that money on Destiny.

Destiny is great because it is ROCK SOLID GAMEPLAY, just like the Halo games. It's just really, really well developed and very finely tuned to be FUN. They are doing some BRILLIANT stuff with it...like how you don't dicker around in a menu to select which "mode" you want to play. It's all organic. I couldn't really figure out what the hell they were after for about the first two hours...here I am running around in a story mission and there's other guys out there, but doing different stuff. I wound up running with a couple of people for a while and then I got it. You want co-op? Go for it. You want to solo? Your choice. No need to partition off different parts of the game at all. The only thing that's separate is the PVP, which makes sense. And even then, you never select "multiplayer" from a menu. You fly your ship to the Crucible.

They also obviously took a lot of notes from Borderlands, the most important and influential shooter since Modern Warfare. Loot, crafting, classes, lots of gear. People love this stuff. Also some pages from the MMORPG playbook- instances, customization, cooldown abilities, etc.

I think this game is going to be really something special, definitely the first important release of this generation. It actually seems like something fresh and new, even though it really is Halo. I mean, it feels just like Halo but with some evolutionary concepts applied to it.

I'll definitely buy it...this, Bayonetta 2, and SSB are all I'll be buying this year it looks like.

More
18 Jul 2014 13:02 #182500 by QPCloudy
Barnes, seriously though, care to team up this evening? I just had to try my hand at Devil's Lair with two schmucks who neither one had a god damn mic, and BOTH could not stick together or work as a team for the life of them. After about 30 minutes of dying over and over and resetting that damn Devil Walker every time, I had to quit. I need someone with some damn brains on my team!!!

I dig the Crucible, but so far I've only been able to play control, which I really don't like as a game mode. I've never been one for King of the Hill. I'm a meat and potatoes TDM guy.

Really bummed we can only go up to lvl 8 for now, but I think I heard they might raise the cap once they let open the flood gates on the 21st?

More
18 Jul 2014 13:57 #182508 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, I got a message last night "A NOOB approaches, what do you do?" And I was offered "press X to run away".

I'll join up with you but I don't use a mic. I don't understand people that don't get sticking together and shooting at the big thing together, reviving and so forth without talking. But I know what you mean, I got stuck with a couple of idiots myself that didn't get that Devil's Lair requires some cooperation.

The Devil Walker though...has a bit of a problem. There's a place you can go where it will almost NEVER hit you as long as you avoid the targetting laser and you can literally sit and just blow the leg armor off without being bothered. I _think_ the AI is supposed to send a flanking team to get you out of the pocket, but it only does so every so often. Which is good, because you need them to take their bullets since it requires like one million to take that thing out.

Crucible only has control in the Beta. It's pretty good so far, I hope there are some more unique game modes in the final game.

I'm level 7 with the Warlock, I may try the Hunter next.

It's funny how much of the game pretty much is Halo...I got a scout rifle and said "yep, that's the battle rifle".

Really looking forward to seeing more of the vehicles.

More
18 Jul 2014 14:20 #182510 by QPCloudy
I found that little room almost immediately and they did indeed start flanking us. I started to worry a little because I had got down to 60 rounds and was all "uhhh this asshole ain't dead yet".

Yeah, stick together and move up the line to the little cubby and shoot. Not that hard.

More
18 Jul 2014 15:02 #182513 by ThirstyMan
Better get in there quick Mike, before Cloudy finds something else.

Are there space pandas in this?
The following user(s) said Thank You: QPCloudy

More
19 Jul 2014 12:35 #182562 by QPCloudy
I finally got on a winning team and it was SO close!

Also I have a pre-order code for bungie.net, which means you can register it there and pick your system. I'd like to give it to someone with a ps4, but anyone can have it if you want it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds