October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Tragedy Looper anyone?

More
03 Sep 2014 09:24 #186409 by Erik Twice
This game has picked my interest and I have to admit the premise looks really cool, down to the animesque art. Anyone has tried it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2014 09:50 #186411 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Re: Tragedy Looper anyone?
It's arriving at my house tonight. Everything about it sounds excellent except for the anime art.

More
03 Sep 2014 11:51 #186418 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Re: Tragedy Looper anyone?
I'm intrigued by this one as well.

More
03 Sep 2014 12:06 #186421 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic Re: Tragedy Looper anyone?
just glanced at the rules, I had not heard it. Looks interesting, but too complex for my current group.

More
03 Sep 2014 19:40 #186458 by engelstein
I didn't get a chance to try it at Gencon, but my kids did. And they said it was rough around the edges, but it really stuck with them. It was the one game they kept talking about and really wanted to give another shot.

Not sure how well it will hold up over time, but I certainly give them points for trying something different.

More
18 Sep 2014 12:25 #187247 by charlest
I've been playing this a lot lately and it's been utterly satisfying. I find it works exceptionally well as a PBF game (I'm Masterminding a 2 player PBF game right now).

There's just nothing like it. I've made superficial comparisons to Zendo but it's not really the same thing. It's thematic, it's interesting, and it's fun as hell. I don't see this one fading away over time although I do see it having a hard time becoming a huge hit. It will likely have a pretty intense cult following like Cave Evil.

My review went up this week:
www.2d6.org/2014/09/tragedy-looper-a-written-review/
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Ska_baron, Gary Sax, Rafael Silva

More
18 Sep 2014 15:01 #187258 by Ska_baron
Great write up, Charles. Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
18 Sep 2014 15:07 #187260 by Erik Twice
Wow, that looks great! I have a couple questions, though.

1) How much text is there in the game? Do you just use cards? What about the "narrator", does he need to read a long text about the specific case?

2) Is the game infenitely replayable or will it inevitable boil down to guessing which case was chosen each time after repeated plays?

More
18 Sep 2014 17:15 #187262 by charlest

Erik Twice wrote: Wow, that looks great! I have a couple questions, though.

1) How much text is there in the game? Do you just use cards? What about the "narrator", does he need to read a long text about the specific case?

2) Is the game infenitely replayable or will it inevitable boil down to guessing which case was chosen each time after repeated plays?

1) There's almost no text for players. The locations/boards each say what they are ("School") and cards generally have stuff like -1 Paranoia, or Forbid Intrigue. That's about it. There's a scenario card with some minor text on it like when incidents occur - 2. Suicide or something to that effect.

From the Mastermind's perspective there is a bit of reading. You have about a page of text to read concerning the scenario, including suggestions and strategy tips. The Mastermind reference card for the scenario also has a list of characters and their roles for the scenario along with the incidents and who the culprit is.

This isn't really a paragraph game but the Mastermind does need to do a bit of reading at the table (You don't need to read anything but the rules to prep for the game though).

2) Once you've played a Scenario (as Mastermind or Protagonist) it may not be replayed by you as a Protagonist at all. Figuring out the Plots/Roles is the entire game really. You can replay as the Mastermind over and over again, however, because the Mastermind knows all of the Plots/Roles anyway.

The game comes with 10 scenarios, so if you were playing with a dedicated group you'd get 10 plays out of it before you'd have to create your own scenarios or find user created content. There are scenario expansions in Japan apparently, hopefully the game takes off and Z-man brings them over.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Gregarius

More
19 Sep 2014 09:20 #187278 by Chaz
Replied by Chaz on topic Re: Tragedy Looper anyone?
This definitely sounds interesting. Is this another case of Zman's "print five copies at a time" publishing strategy? It looks like it's showed up and sold out twice now, from TOS posts.

More
19 Sep 2014 09:29 #187279 by ZMan
Replied by ZMan on topic Re: Tragedy Looper anyone?

Chaz wrote: This definitely sounds interesting. Is this another case of Zman's "print five copies at a time" publishing strategy? It looks like it's showed up and sold out twice now, from TOS posts.

If you meant to say five thousand copies at a time then you would be right.

We printed a more than usual number for this game despite it not buzzing in the beginning - but then the buzz took off, especially after a fantastic showing at Gen Con and we are indeed sold out. A reprint is in the works. And we are looking at the expansions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

More
19 Sep 2014 09:58 #187281 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re: Tragedy Looper anyone?

ZMan wrote: We printed a more than usual number for this game despite it not buzzing in the beginning - but then the buzz took off, especially after a fantastic showing at Gen Con and we are indeed sold out. A reprint is in the works. And we are looking at the expansions.

Does that mean no games available at Essen, or only for demos?

More
19 Sep 2014 10:10 #187282 by charlest

ZMan wrote:

Chaz wrote: This definitely sounds interesting. Is this another case of Zman's "print five copies at a time" publishing strategy? It looks like it's showed up and sold out twice now, from TOS posts.

We printed a more than usual number for this game despite it not buzzing in the beginning - but then the buzz took off, especially after a fantastic showing at Gen Con and we are indeed sold out. A reprint is in the works. And we are looking at the expansions.

Excellent news.

More
19 Sep 2014 11:23 #187286 by Chaz
Replied by Chaz on topic Re: Tragedy Looper anyone?

ZMan wrote:

Well, hopefully they get back in stock soon. It took me almost a year to get hold of a copy of Robinson Crusoe after I first decided I wanted it.

More
20 Sep 2014 14:24 #187375 by ZMan
Replied by ZMan on topic Re: Tragedy Looper anyone?

Jur wrote:

ZMan wrote: We printed a more than usual number for this game despite it not buzzing in the beginning - but then the buzz took off, especially after a fantastic showing at Gen Con and we are indeed sold out. A reprint is in the works. And we are looking at the expansions.

Does that mean no games available at Essen, or only for demos?

Good question. I _think_ we reserved some for Essen and/or a reprint might be ready in time for Essen. Unsure but I was told that we would have some. Note, that could change but that is the latest info I got.

Zev
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds