October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Computer Games

More
03 Mar 2008 19:08 #3755 by vialiy
Replied by vialiy on topic Re:Computer Games
I play MOO2 (that makes me cool apparently), Close Combat 2 (as the Allies it's great, now as the Germans it's rather boring), some Formule Dé, and a game of Korsun Pocket I forgot about. Soon I'll get back to Crush! Deluxe, one of the best "boardgames" on PC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2008 20:26 #3760 by dave
Replied by dave on topic Re:Computer Games
It's been Titan Quest the past few months for me. The three years before that, it was City of Heroes/Villians and Guild Wars. Before that, it was Diablo 2.

There have been others that I have played that would make me look smarter if I dropped the titles, but collectively that have received less play than any one of the four above. What can I say, work is hard, I like to keep my play easy.

More
03 Mar 2008 21:16 #3761 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re:Computer Games
Starcraft
CIV 4

More
04 Mar 2008 23:15 #3800 by BigLizard
Replied by BigLizard on topic Re:Computer Games
I've been playing Medieval: Total War with a small smattering of Civ III almost exclusively (I feel for ya MikeL). I was playing Neverwinter Nights a year ago but burned out on computer RPGs for now. Tried Rome: Total War but don't care much for it, and tried to reinstall Sid Meier's Gettysburg on the new computer only to find it doesn't work well on the new system. Some kind of graphics problem :( I may try to find a good tank battle game next. What I miss most is the Space Hulk game I had on the old 486. That was a blast to play! Would love to see an updated version of that.

-- BillN

More
05 Mar 2008 11:23 #3827 by SenorOcho
Replied by SenorOcho on topic Re:Computer Games
Aarontu wrote:

milgate wrote:

Three people still playing MOO2. That's pretty impressive. I haven't played for ages, but it was probably my favorite game around the time it was released. Will I have any problems running it under Windows XP?

I don't think so. I've been playing under XP with no problems.

It absolutely will not run reliably in vista, though... Seems to be about a 10% chance that opening the build queue of a planet will result in a CTD. I'm tempted to hook up my old 660Mhz machine so I can play it again. That, and spellcross. Mmmmm, spellcross...

I haven't played many games on my computer lately, other than Civ IV...
How is Galactic Civilizations II? I've been looking for a good 4X in space after the flop that was MOO3, but I didn't hear very good things about the first one.

More
05 Mar 2008 12:22 #3830 by mikelawson
Replied by mikelawson on topic Re:Computer Games
I'd not mind Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic, but I've poked around and can't find a copy anywhere. Has it hit abandonware already?

--Mike L.

More
05 Mar 2008 13:02 #3832 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Re:Computer Games
mtlawson wrote:

I'd not mind Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic, but I've poked around and can't find a copy anywhere. Has it hit abandonware already?

--Mike L.

Not that I know of, but if you do get it; be prepared to use the cheat codes to finish it. It starts off hard and just gets worse as you proceed. At the end game, I was wondering whether I was playing Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic or I was playing a fantasy version of the Kobayashi Maru test.

Seriously, it was that hard.

Matt, if you have any of the other versions of AOW and you're interested in a game, just let me know. I yank those puppies out of the closet and slap them on Bender.

More
05 Mar 2008 13:09 - 06 Mar 2008 16:16 #3833 by Rliyen
SenorOcho wrote:

Aarontu wrote:

milgate wrote:

Three people still playing MOO2. That's pretty impressive. I haven't played for ages, but it was probably my favorite game around the time it was released. Will I have any problems running it under Windows XP?

It absolutely will not run reliably in vista, though... Seems to be about a 10% chance that opening the build queue of a planet will result in a CTD. I'm tempted to hook up my old 660Mhz machine so I can play it again. That, and spellcross. Mmmmm, spellcross...

I haven't played many games on my computer lately, other than Civ IV...
How is Galactic Civilizations II? I've been looking for a good 4X in space after the flop that was MOO3, but I didn't hear very good things about the first one.

I loved Galactic Civilizations primarily because it was turn based and a BRAIN burner. Compared to MOO3, GC blows it completely out the water. The only downside for the first incarnation of GC was the fact that you could only play Humans, but that was mitigated by the fact that you could customize your race to some extent. Also, everyone had the same types of ships. In GCII, you can play the other races, IIRC, and there's added depth in creation of ships. GCII is more akin to MOO2, just with better graphics and no Orion. You can pick up GCII at Best Buy for around $20.00. GC you can pick up at Target if you check their bargain section. That's where I got mine.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2008 16:16 by Rliyen.

More
06 Mar 2008 13:45 #3872 by Rliyen
mtlawson wrote:

--Mike L.

Just out of idle curiosity, I checked my old areas for used games.

*type, type, type*

*read, read, read*

JESUS CHRIST!

$75 for mint? $45 for used?

Dudes, lay off the LSD Kool-aid!

Matt, the game's good, but not worth $45. I got mine from Target $20. Granted, this was four years ago.

It's good a be a packrat...

More
06 Mar 2008 14:00 #3873 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Re:Computer Games
I still play MOO2 sometimes. Mainly because I loaned my copy of Space Empires IV to a friend who now lives on the other side of the planet. SE4 is a lot like MOO2, but with more of everything.

I mainly play older games because that's all I have. I like to wait until a game's been out a while and I can buy it packed with any expansions/patches for cheap.

Lately I've been playing Hot Shots Golf FOUR on my PS2 a lot.

More
06 Mar 2008 14:19 #3875 by SenorOcho
Replied by SenorOcho on topic Re:Computer Games
I just picked up Sins of a Solar Empire, and I'm pretty impressed with it so far... 4X in space made into an RTS. I just wish my computer was a little more reliable.

More
07 Mar 2008 12:14 - 07 Mar 2008 12:15 #3893 by Aarontu
Replied by Aarontu on topic Re:Computer Games
SenorOcho wrote:

Aarontu wrote:

milgate wrote:

MOOII runs fine in Vista for me on my new laptop. I just have to set the compatibility settings to Windows NT 4.0 (the cursor flickers or colors are messed up with the other OS's) and the set to low res setting thing. Also make sure your using the most recent patch.
Last edit: 07 Mar 2008 12:15 by Aarontu.

More
07 Mar 2008 12:53 #3894 by mikelawson
Replied by mikelawson on topic Re:Computer Games
Rliyen wrote:

mtlawson wrote:

--Mike L.

Not that I know of, but if you do get it; be prepared to use the cheat codes to finish it. It starts off hard and just gets worse as you proceed. At the end game, I was wondering whether I was playing Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic or I was playing a fantasy version of the Kobayashi Maru test.

Matt, if you have any of the other versions of AOW and you're interested in a game, just let me know. I yank those puppies out of the closet and slap them on Bender.

I don't have any other versions of AoW, but I tried the demo version. It was a bit buggy, but man, it was a bitch to win against. I could only imagine the regular game.

--Mike L.

More
07 Mar 2008 21:02 #3902 by milgate
Replied by milgate on topic Re:Computer Games
Aarontu wrote:

milgate wrote:

Huh. It turns out I already have MOO2 installed on my two-year-old (yup, about time for a new one) computer. Apparently, I installed it in March 2007 and forgot. Must be old age.

Now, it's all I can do ... to ... pull ... myself ... away ... from ... the ... game ... (just a couple more turns, and I'll have the research breakthrough to build Doom Stars! Then I'll pay a little visit to Antares ...)

More
07 Mar 2008 21:05 #3903 by milgate
Replied by milgate on topic Re:Computer Games
Rliyen wrote:

mtlawson wrote:

--Mike L.

I can't remember how I did against the AOW:Shadow Magic campaign, but it could be the reason I only play the random set-up games now.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds