October 09, 2023
2296 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

RPGs - Collecting Only

More
11 Sep 2015 08:59 #210454 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic RPGs - Collecting Only

dysjunct wrote:

Josh Look wrote: The one in the starter box is probably the best one, and the most traditional dungeon crawl. I don't care for the others.

I agree with this. The starter set adventure ("The Lost Mines of Phandelver") is easily in the top 10% of all published D&D adventures.

It wouldn't be too difficult to adapt more traditional dungeon crawls to 5e though.

That's high praise. Who wrote it and what other adventures have they done?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2015 09:36 #210456 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic RPGs - Collecting Only
Surprised at all the love for Dungeon World with no one mentioning the superior Apocalypse World, which it's wholeheartedly based on. All that front stuff, the GM advice, the core system, is Apocalypse World. Fantastic goddamn game.

I playtested both actually, and it was pretty interesting watching them evolve. Apocalypse World was a mess of Vincent Baker notes on his site with some forum posts to supplement. You could tell he was onto something special immediately (like all of his games).

Dungeon World was a bit odd in early playtests as it had the cool bits of Apocalypse World but had a couple of rough spots it struggled to reconcile. The XP system initially wasn't too great IMO. I'm not sure if it changed as I haven't seen the finished Dungeon World version.

If anyone's looking for other Indie RPG recommendations:

The Mountain Witch
Lacuna
Dust Devils
Primetime Adventures

All fantastic.

More
11 Sep 2015 10:32 #210460 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic RPGs - Collecting Only

Mr. White wrote:

dysjunct wrote: I agree with this. The starter set adventure ("The Lost Mines of Phandelver") is easily in the top 10% of all published D&D adventures.

That's high praise. Who wrote it and what other adventures have they done?

Richard Baker and Chris Perkins.

Both are prolific, but I'm not too familiar with either of their other adventures. Baker did The Forge of Fury for 3.0, which was really good (and very deadly). It was mostly a straight-up dungeon crawl though, and didn't have the sandbox of LMOP or its stable of excellent NPCs. It did have fantastic climactic battle at the end, consisting of

Warning: Spoiler!

Chris Perkins is the DM who runs the "Acquisitions Incorporated" games at PAX, where the players are the guys from Penny Arcade and a rotating cast of nerd heroes (once including Patrick Rothfuss). I am not familiar with any of his other adventures. I don't really like his DMing style, but maybe his other adventures are just fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
11 Sep 2015 10:57 #210462 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic RPGs - Collecting Only
That encounter sounds pretty cool.

I'm going to open up another thread about module designers.

More
25 Sep 2015 21:44 #211369 by Mr. White
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, ChristopherMD, Cranberries

More
25 Sep 2015 23:08 #211376 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic RPGs - Collecting Only

Mr. White wrote: The Joy of Reading Role-Playing Games

www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2015...g-role-playing-games

From an interview with China Mieville:

Probably one of the most enduring influences on me was a childhood playing RPGs: Dungeons and Dragons [D&D] and others. I’ve not played for sixteen years and have absolutely no intention of starting again, but I still buy and read the manuals occasionally. There were two things about them that particularly influenced me. One was the mania for cataloguing the fantastic: if you play them for any length of time, you get to know pretty much all the mythological beasts of all pantheons out there, along with a fair bit of the theology. I still love all that—I collect fantastic bestiaries, and one of the main spurs to write a secondary-world fantasy was to invent a bunch of monsters, half of which I’m sure I’ll never be able to fit into any books.

The other, more nebulous, but very strong influence of RPGs was the weird fetish for systematization, the way everything is reduced to “game stats.” If you take something like Cthulhu in Lovecraft, for example, it is completely incomprehensible and beyond all human categorization. But in the game Call of Cthulhu, you see Cthulhu’s “strength,” “dexterity,” and so on, carefully expressed numerically. There’s something superheroically banalifying about that approach to the fantastic. On one level it misses the point entirely, but I must admit it appeals to me in its application of some weirdly misplaced rigor onto the fantastic: it’s a kind of exaggeratedly precise approach to secondary world creation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Gary Sax, Columbob, Brewmiester

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds