October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2653 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Wii/Wii U Game MEGATHREAD

More
21 Sep 2015 14:54 #211071 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Wii/Wii U Game MEGATHREAD
Could explain 'rougelike' a bit more. I read that there was some game called Rogue in the 80s and that key features are that the dungeons were randomized and death was permanent. Is that the gist of it? Every time you die, you have to start over and your map is useless because the dungeon is redesigned?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2015 15:11 #211074 by hotseatgames
It does vary title to title, but the staple features of a rogue-like are:
- perma-death
- random maps
- some sort of persistence that carries across play-throughs

Spelunky demonstrates this last feature via the tunnels you can have dug. Rogue Legacy demonstrates it in a fantastic manner, since you are building up your castle, gaining new ability options, gear, etc.

More
21 Sep 2015 15:44 #211077 by Erik Twice

Mr. White wrote: Tatsunoko vs Capcom - I'm a big SF fan and with no SF IV on the systems, this looks like my best bet for 'modern' SF slugging. Is it good?

If I recall correctly, this does not play like a Street Fighter title. It's also kind of geared towards fans of the genre so I wouldn't recommend it as an alternative to SFIV.

Metal Slug Anthology - I remember these games being hard as balls. Is this worth the dosh or should I just get the SNES Contra III Alien Wars (which I've played and loved about 20+ years ago)?

They are indeed quite hard. Totally worth the money, but you should really consider if you want to put a lot of effort into this kind of game.

Red Steel and No More Heroes - Don't know anything about these, but they look to be cell shaded. Either of these good? Their sequels?

Red Steel is completely forgetabble. No More Heroes is pretty interesting, though ultimately rough in both its gameplay and satire. Like Barnes, I think it's a game that had its spot in the sun but it's not a game many are going to come back to.

Oh, I'd also really like to have at least one solid shooter. I see Axelay is available to download. That and UN Squadron were my favorite SNES shooters. Knowing that, was there a better twitch shooter released for the Wii or Wii U? Not the same, but I will be getting that Wii U Star Fox.

There are Megadrive and TG-16 titles, right? I dont know if MUSHA is on it, but that could be a good one to try.

Bull Nakano wrote: No More Heroes is gross male power fantasy junk. I've never played it, the videos I've seen it mentioned in were a major turn off for me.

Pfft, I would check another reviwer because it's as much of a gross male power fantasy as Watchmen is about superheroes being cool. Really, the protagonist is a complete loser whose addiction to otaku culture have detached him from reality or self-realization and the game constantly reminds you of it.

hotseatgames wrote: It does vary title to title, but the staple features of a rogue-like are:
- some sort of persistence that carries across play-throughs

Most roguelikes don't have that sort of persistance, that's kind of a modern thing.

Generally, the prototype roguelike is a turn-based game with permadeath in which the environment, enemies and items are heavily randomized so you have to "make it" with whatever you are given. So it's about learning how the game works and how you can tackle different challenges without getting killed because you drank a bottle of acid without knowing what it was.

The Mystery Dungeon games are on the softer side, though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
21 Sep 2015 15:49 #211079 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Wii/Wii U Game MEGATHREAD
haha, god, I just got a 250 dollar GC from my new TV provider and I am sorely tempted by the walmart mario maker bundle. All I would play is the Nintendo stuff too...

More
21 Sep 2015 15:51 - 21 Sep 2015 15:52 #211080 by Mr. White

Erik Twice wrote:

Mr. White wrote: Tatsunoko vs Capcom - I'm a big SF fan and with no SF IV on the systems, this looks like my best bet for 'modern' SF slugging. Is it good?

If I recall correctly, this does not play like a Street Fighter title. It's also kind of geared towards fans of the genre so I wouldn't recommend it as an alternative to SFIV.

Well, with a Wii U, I haven't much choice. Still, with SFII, SFII Turbo, SSFII and SF Alpha 2 from the eShop and Guilty Gear for the Wii. I think I'll be good on the technical end of the fighting spectrum. Tatsunoko vs Capcom (which just came in the mail) will serve the more gonzo, party side along with Smash Brothers.

These roguelike games sound interesting. Shiren the Wanderer is a good one?
Last edit: 21 Sep 2015 15:52 by Mr. White.

More
21 Sep 2015 15:54 #211081 by Mr. White

Gary Sax wrote: haha, god, I just got a 250 dollar GC from my new TV provider and I am sorely tempted by the walmart mario maker bundle. All I would play is the Nintendo stuff too...

Sweet!

I'm trying to determine if Twilight Princess is worth it or not. Likely, I'll end up with LttP and Wind Waker. The Metroid Prime trilogy for $20 looks to be irresistible.

More
21 Sep 2015 17:31 #211086 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Wii/Wii U Game MEGATHREAD
@GarySax

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
22 Sep 2015 13:23 #211121 by fastbilly1

Mr. White wrote: I think I'll go for that Shovel Knight.

It will be released on disc next month, with the expansion - if you prefer physical releases.

My Wiiu has had Mario maker in it for the last week and a half with no reason to remove it from duty. It is a game that will let you get a fix for classic Mario stages in about 15 minutes. Most days I hop on to play my friends new designs and a couple of the more highly rated ones, and I feel fulfilled in gaming. If I had to guess, my wife and I have logged probably 20 hours into it so far.

Ofcourse, making your own stages will suck your life away. I have been toying with adding Mario 2 inspired stages in to the Mario 3 engine, but I have not unlocked everything yet. I started working on one map, four hours past instantly.

More
22 Sep 2015 18:08 #211155 by Bull Nakano

Mr. White wrote: These roguelike games sound interesting. Shiren the Wanderer is a good one?

So I've never played Shiren for Wii (Shiren 3), but Shiren for DS (Shiren 1) is fantastic and a great starting point, I assume the Wii version would share qualities with it.

Roguelikes feature turn based movement in randomly generated dungeons and some sort of permenance. The term roguelike literally means a game that's derived from the game Rogue, an old mainframe game from the 80's. those that follow more closely to Rogue feature permadeath, but the Mystery Dungeon series skirts that in different ways for each sub-series. In Shiren you can set up storehouses and have messengers carry items from the dungeons back for you when you, randomly, of course, meet them. in Chocobo you play through a series of mini-dungeons before advancing to larger ones but you mostly have to clear the whole dungeon in one go, which is fun and the randomly generated part makes playing through again not feel like a chore at all. Think Warhammer Quest, that's a board game roguelike.

More
23 Sep 2015 11:28 #211189 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Wii/Wii U Game MEGATHREAD
Why in fuck is Walmart the only place with the mario maker bundle?

More
23 Sep 2015 11:36 - 23 Sep 2015 11:44 #211190 by Mr. White
Wasn't aware of that...that sucks... What about ebay or something other route?

Been playing some Tatsunoko vs Capcom the past few nights. This game is nuts, but I should have expected that being one of the 'VS' titles. It plays quick and is fun in a sugar rush kinda way. I do like the aesthetic of the Tatsunoko characters quite a bit though. As a kid I was a huge fan of Inframan and Ultraman, knew little about Gatchaman, but not much. I want to read up more on Casshan. Still, even though I'm not super familiar, that Tatsunoko roster is probably the coolest side of all the VS games. The Capcom side...'Frank West'? eh... Also, having the 'giant' characters is a nice way to mix it up. I'm glad I picked this one up and look forward to playing with other characters besides my test drive team of Ryu/Alex/Chun-Li.

Last edit: 23 Sep 2015 11:44 by Mr. White.

More
25 Sep 2015 08:27 - 25 Sep 2015 08:27 #211300 by Mr. White
I think the kids are getting Rhythm Heaven Fever for Christmas. It looks like something they'll love.

"Wubbadubbadubba, is that true?"

Last edit: 25 Sep 2015 08:27 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
25 Sep 2015 14:49 #211343 by fastbilly1
TVC is great, until someone gets good at Batsu. He is stupidly broken with his diagonal unblockables and counter selection. Thats not a huge problem, unless you are playing in a super competitive environment. I played alot of Jun/Morrigan, but loved playing Gold Lighton.

More
25 Sep 2015 14:53 #211345 by Mr. White
Though I played a lot of fighting games in the arcades/bowling alleys back in the day, I'm not really interested in any sort of competitive scene anymore. I prefer to kick back and throw down on a difficult setting for 10-20mins after putting the kids to sleep.

I'm currently using Casshan and Ippatsuman. I love how Ippatsuman pulls out a baseball bat and cranks out 'millions' and 'billions' of points of damage. :)

More
29 Sep 2015 09:29 #211563 by Mr. White
I haven't tried it, but does anyone know if on a Wii U, one could switch it over to Wii mode and buy games from the Wii (not Wii U) virtual store? I'd love to get a download of Zombies Ate My Neighbors.
www.nintendo.com/games/detail/BGBqw1DWIj9ziuwbudpEVe-B_SSOw-Fg

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds