October 09, 2023
2506 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2705 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Top 5 Legend of Zelda Games

More
21 Sep 2015 15:35 - 21 Sep 2015 15:36 #211076 by Gary Sax
1) Link to the Past
2) Legend of Zelda Original
3) Wind Waker
4) Zelda 2

I used to think Ocarina was great but I really hated it when I returned to it. Loathed Majora's Mask from the first time I played it. Less said about Twilight Princess the better, but it's no worse than Ocarina.

I have not played the DS games but I suspect one would take #5. I would love to play the most recent one where you go 2d, it looks amazing.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2015 15:36 by Gary Sax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2015 15:44 #211078 by Mr. White
Looks like Link to the Past is a clear favorite with Wind Waker being the preferred 3d Zelda title.

I played Wind Waker in the GC days and remember all the vitriol it got for its cel shading. I thought cel shading was amazing and had hoped it was the direction games would go. I remember reading that Capcom's (at the time) Final Fight reboot was going to be cel shaded and I was ecstatic. Unfortunately, they opted to go grim dark and I pretty much got out of console gaming for a decade.

The thing I like about cel shading is that the characters _seem_ to have a little more soul than otherwise. For my dollar, 2d sprites still seem more personable and alive than the uncanny valley look of hyper realistic 3d renderings. Cel shading seems to inject a little life into the polygons.

More
21 Sep 2015 15:59 #211082 by bfkiller

Mr. White wrote: The thing I like about cel shading is that the characters _seem_ to have a little more soul than otherwise. For my dollar, 2d sprites still seem more personable and alive than the uncanny valley look of hyper realistic 3d renderings. Cel shading seems to inject a little life into the polygons.

This is a guess, but I'm thinking it's because the low polygon count makes it much easier to animate things like facial expressions. Just compare Link's reactions in Windwaker to his relatively static expressions in the more "realistic" takes.

More
21 Sep 2015 16:20 #211083 by Josh Look
1. Legend of Zelda
2. Link to the Past
3. Link's Awakening
4. Twilight Princess
5. Wind Waker

Yeah, deal with that shit.

Still haven't played Link Between Two Worlds. I'll get to it.

More
21 Sep 2015 16:21 #211084 by Josh Look

Mr. White wrote: Looks like Link to the Past is a clear favorite with Wind Waker being the preferred 3d Zelda title.

I played Wind Waker in the GC days and remember all the vitriol it got for its cel shading. I thought cel shading was amazing and had hoped it was the direction games would go. I remember reading that Capcom's (at the time) Final Fight reboot was going to be cel shaded and I was ecstatic. Unfortunately, they opted to go grim dark and I pretty much got out of console gaming for a decade.

The thing I like about cel shading is that the characters _seem_ to have a little more soul than otherwise. For my dollar, 2d sprites still seem more personable and alive than the uncanny valley look of hyper realistic 3d renderings. Cel shading seems to inject a little life into the polygons.

Style > Graphics. Every time.

More
21 Sep 2015 17:25 #211085 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Top 5 Legend of Zelda Games
  1. A Link Between Worlds
  2. A Link to the Past
  3. Spirit Tracks (no lie, it's fucking great)
  4. The Legend of Zelda
  5. Minish Cap

I also played Ocarina of Time, Phantom Hourglass, Adventures of Link, Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, Link's Awakening, Four Swords Adventures, and Oracle of Ages. I know from Zelda games. The only ones I actually didn't like were Twilight Princess and Adventures of Link. Some are small and a little short. I prefer cel-shaded over traditional. I prefer isometric to third-person perspective. And I prefer them on handhelds over the TV in the modern age.

More
22 Sep 2015 12:04 #211106 by SuperflyPete
1. A Link To The Past
2. Adventure of Link (the sidescroller)
3. I played that one on N64 where you could ride the horse, it was really good but I don't remember the name
4. Legend of Zelda
5. THE REST

More
22 Sep 2015 12:54 #211111 by metalface13
Zelda is one of my favorite series, but I'll admit I haven't come close to playing all the games, and the only 3D Zelda I've played is Twilight Princess.

1. Link to the Past
2. Legend of Zelda
3. Link's Awakening
4. Twilight Princess
5. Phantom Hourglass

The only one I've played but not ranked is the 2nd for the NES, that one is a pile of crap and has no business being labeled a Zelda game. As I said Twilight Princess is my only foray into 3D Zelda, so I didn't mind it. Phantom Hourglass is decent but going through the same temple levels over and over again was just way to repetitive for me. Link to the Past and Legend of Zelda are my favorites by far.

More
22 Sep 2015 13:02 #211113 by fastbilly1
No love for Wand of Gamelon, Zeldas Adventure, and Faces of Evil...

More
22 Sep 2015 13:05 - 22 Sep 2015 13:06 #211114 by Stonecutter
1) A link to the Past: Shame on you if you picked anything else for your top pick. This is the best Zelda game, it's the best SNES game, it might be the best video game ever made.

2) Minish Cap: So, Game Boy Zeldas are weird, they're all Zeldas, for sure, but there's just something different about them Minish is the best of the bunch and that's probably because it does the most with that "differentness." Of all of the Zelda dual worlds (light/dark, young/old, corrupted/pure) the big/little might be the most interesting in terms of puzzles.

3) Ocarina of Time: I mean, it's one of the best 3d action/adventure games ever, nearly 20 years after its release.

4) A Link Between Worlds: The Real Deal, and worth getting a 3DS alone.

5) Twilight Princess: If you can get past the first three hours, which are a snoozefest, you open up one of, if not the absolute best versions of Hyrule. It's basically the sequel to Ocarina of Time, it took what OoT did and makes it bigger, everywhere. Everyone bags on this game because.... actually I don't really understand why. It's great.

Addendum: Darksiders. The first Darksiders game is a 3D zelda game with a coat of Warhammer/Spawn paint to it.
Last edit: 22 Sep 2015 13:06 by Stonecutter.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds