October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2662 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Wii Classic Controllers Needed (Controller Confusion!!)

More
16 Dec 2015 13:55 - 16 Dec 2015 14:00 #217485 by Mr. White
My son was a big fan of Tetris Attack when we had that retro duo. Unfortunately, it doesn't like that ever made it to the Wii U eShop. However, I see that Pokemon Puzzle League is essentially the same game but with Pokemon characters. Added bonus!

Catch is...it looks like this thing is only compatible with the Wii Classic Controller. We have the Wii U Controller Pro, but I think that's a no go. It looks like it needs those Wii controllers that plug into the Wii remote.

It gets better....these things seem to be oop! So, if I want to download this $10 VC game I've got to shell out $50-$140 more to get two of these wii classic controllers so we can play head-to-head.

Are there any generous F:ATties here, filled with the spirit of the season, willing to part with two of these older controllers for a reasonable amount? I'd need them stat.
Last edit: 16 Dec 2015 14:00 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Dec 2015 14:21 #217488 by VonTush
They're only $8 or $9 on Amazon.
Unless it's another one you're after.
www.amazon.com/Classic-controller-Ninten...=UTF8&qid=1450293568

More
16 Dec 2015 14:38 #217491 by Michael Barnes
I'd give you one if I had it...but I switched to the Pro (aka "Daddy's controller") and never looked back.

Try GameStop. There are also third party models out there, it's just the Nintendo ones that are "collectible".

Really kind of would like to get either a Link or Samus Smash controller...

More
16 Dec 2015 14:52 #217496 by Mr. White
Yeah, Von Tush linked to the third party ones. Good price, but quality seems hit or miss based on the reviews.

I dunno, I think I'd rather hold off and not get the game until I know we've got working controllers.

Controllers....these things are my biggest beef with the system. I think if I get two of those classics we'll have more controllers than games...
touchpad
wii u pro controller
4 wii motes
2 nunchuks
2 wii classics

10 controllers for one system...damn! That doesn't even include any of the snazzy wii u/gamecube Smash brother controllers that are enticing.

Are there any controllers (besides the wii motes) that work for Wii U games as well as Wii VC titles? These 2 wii classic controllers won't even work for my Wii U eShop SFII titles. The cross compatibility on these devices feels non existent.

More
16 Dec 2015 15:11 #217501 by VonTush
Ha! I didn't even notice that it didn't have the little "Wii" printed on it.
I have my pair at home so didn't look that close. Guess I assumed Third Party ones would look a little more Third Party.

More
16 Dec 2015 15:18 #217504 by Michael Barnes
Third party controllers="guest" controllers.

Remember going over to somebody's house to play Perfect Dark or whatever and they would have some jank-ass clear controller with sticky buttons and a C-stick with a permanent lean?

Yeah, Nintendo really kind of bungled it with controllers...but it is because they went non-standard with the Wiimote/nunchuk thing and then the Gamepad...the original classic controller was terrible, the one with the sticks in a place that no one that ever plays video games would place them. Then the Classic Controller Pro was weird too, I had the one that came with Monster Hunter 3 and I hated it. THey finally got it mostly right with the Pro, but even it feels sort of off. Especially coming from a PS4 controller, which is one of the best controllers of all time.

More
16 Dec 2015 15:27 - 16 Dec 2015 15:40 #217505 by Mr. White
Just to be sure we're talking about the same items...

This is a wii classic controller:

and this is a wii classic controller pro:

I got that right?

Finally, those smash brother wii u /gamecube things...they look awesome and would be the way to go, but does anyone know if they work on the wii (not u) vc games that require a classic controller? Can I use them to play N64/SNES games through the wii vc?

EDIT: I think the answer to the above question is 'no'. At any rate, I believe I found a pair of official ones used on ebay at a good price. Used controllers off ebay...don't much like the sound of that...Called around the local retro stores though...no official ones to be had.
Last edit: 16 Dec 2015 15:40 by Mr. White.

More
16 Dec 2015 15:56 #217508 by fastbilly1
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationThe Wiiu Gamecube adapter only works on Smash Bros Wiiu, sadly it does not mount in anything else (it has a handshake agreement that the system has to send out before it will mount) . Unless you meant those Hori battlepads that connect to the wiimote.

While I know you stated that you do not want to buy a used controller:

For $30 you can have two shipped to you, give them an isopropyl bath, and an hour to completely dry out, and youll be in business.

I have two CC, four CCP, three Hori sticks, one Madcatz stick, a dozen wiimotes, four wiis, and a wiiu. But the Classic Controller quickly became my preferred controller for emulation aswell through the mayflash adapter.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds