October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

THE WITNESS

More
14 Feb 2016 22:53 #222460 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic THE WITNESS
^agreed. My wife has to drive when we play. The kids are the worst, oh my god. It's gorgeous, but nauseating if you don't know which way you're going next.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2016 22:26 #222594 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic THE WITNESS
Seeing as I've never had motion sickness (in the car, reading in a car, on a boat, in a game, etc), I find it fascinating, especially from a game. I really want to try a crazy VR game that gets people sick, to see if it affects me. It's such a foreign idea to me that I don't understand what everyone is complaining about. Must be the result of a weak constitution and bad genes.

Although if my wife isn't driving when we are in the car, she'll probably throw up. Good thing I prefer not to drive.

More
18 Feb 2016 17:51 #222800 by Disgustipater
Jeb,

Giant Bomb talked to Jonathan Blow and some interesting comments (but no spoilers) were made about the gnarled tree. Staring at 43:40 to about 45:10.

(Note: Plenty of other spoilers in the rest of the video if you haven't beaten the game.)

More
18 Feb 2016 18:30 #222803 by jeb
That's the thing with this game. It is so developed that everything means something. I have been looking at the lake for a while now and all kinds of weird stuff is in there: clams, fountains, little lanterns. There's an octopus in the sand under the water on the north side of the island. What's the significance of the boat path through the rusty ship?

I keep checking my tree. Nothing new to report.

More
18 Feb 2016 19:28 #222806 by Disgustipater

jeb wrote: What's the significance of the boat path through the rusty ship?

jeb wrote: I keep checking my tree. Nothing new to report.

I started a new game (for testing purposes) and the leaves are there from the start.

More
18 Feb 2016 20:21 #222808 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic THE WITNESS
It's one of these games I'll never unlock all the secrets of but I'll come back in a year and have a great time reading what everyone else has found.

Bloodborne was a bit like this.

More
18 Feb 2016 20:45 #222809 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic THE WITNESS
I think you should all follow The Witness up with a play through of Deadly Premonition.

More
20 Feb 2016 02:56 - 20 Feb 2016 23:19 #222885 by Disgustipater
So I finished THE CHALLENGE. It was quite a bit easier than I anticipated. Only took me about 5 tries. Taking a break from the game and playing some other stuff for a week definitely helped get me back in the right mindset.

Current score:

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 20 Feb 2016 23:19 by Disgustipater.

More
12 Jan 2017 12:12 #242306 by jeb
I am still working on THE CHALLENGE. I give it about ten tries in a session every month or so. I get pretty close about half the time, so it'll happen. As noted by HotSeatGames, this is one of the best puzzle games ever made. I adore it still, a year later. When I stream, it's me trying to beat the Challenge. This game is just good.

More
12 Jan 2017 12:42 #242308 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic THE WITNESS
I have a ton of the game to go. I knocked out a bunch of desert puzzles last night. I really dislike the ones in which you have to isolate different amounts of squares. Something about them doesn't gel in my brain.

I love the game, but I have a few criticisms:
1. fast travel would be much appreciated
2. an indication of what puzzles I have yet to complete, at least standard ones
3. a dedicated puzzle type tutorial area. I feel like I walked past some required learning puzzles here and there, and am paying the price.

I really appreciate what the game goes for, but its willful disregard of whether or not you have the required tools gets a bit annoying.

More
12 Jan 2017 13:04 - 12 Jan 2017 13:05 #242309 by jeb

hotseatgames wrote: I have a ton of the game to go. I knocked out a bunch of desert puzzles last night. I really dislike the ones in which you have to isolate different amounts of squares. Something about them doesn't gel in my brain.

I love the game, but I have a few criticisms:
1. fast travel would be much appreciated
2. an indication of what puzzles I have yet to complete, at least standard ones
3. a dedicated puzzle type tutorial area. I feel like I walked past some required learning puzzles here and there, and am paying the price.

I really appreciate what the game goes for, but its willful disregard of whether or not you have the required tools gets a bit annoying.

Yeah, sometimes it's a slog, even with the "run" option, you need to do a lot of walking to get around. You can use the boat at least, that thing hauls if you need to get from one side to the other.

I don't think I need a puzzle completion measure. I think I could look it up somewhere if it was really stuck in my craw. There are hundreds of standard puzzles. I still have a bunch to go and I think I have over 500 now.

All puzzle-types have tutorial areas (barring one) but you definitely encounter puzzles BEFORE you encounter their tutorial areas in my experience. And you DEFINITELY encounter learning puzzles for that exception I note above before their "main area."

..eventually you get to a place where you don't know what is a puzzle and what isn't.
Last edit: 12 Jan 2017 13:05 by jeb.

More
18 Jan 2018 12:06 #261373 by jeb
BRAAAAAINS

Hey Legomancer, you are pretty far in there. have you actually made it to the area where The Challenge is yet? There is a thing I found in there that I want to ask about. If so,

Warning: Spoiler!

More
18 Jan 2018 13:09 #261393 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic THE WITNESS
I found that as well and have no idea what it's about.

I've made it to the challenge, but I'm not nearly good enough for it. In fact it kind of bugs me because I hate timed shit in video games and up until now The Witness hasn't pulled that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds