October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Top 10 Video Games Of All Time - Per Wikipedia

More
03 Mar 2016 09:13 #223690 by SuperflyPete

Michael Barnes wrote: Japanese console games are the best. Period. Especially in the 90s. That's why that list is 100% Japanese.

RE4 was in many ways a watershed moment for modern games. There are still games coming out pretty much every week that are deeply and unmistakably influenced by it. It is also kind of a game between eras because it is so very much a traditional Japanese style design, but the innovations were things that American designers completely ran with (and ran into the ground, like QTEs). It's still quirky, weird and awkward...but also very Hollywood and crowd-pleasing. If the list were "most IMPORTANT games ever made", it would be a top three title.

BB's list is a joke. I love Soulcalibur, but is it one of the "ten best" games of all time? That's where personal taste comes into play. Same with Uncharted 2, which shouldn't be anywhere near a list of "best" anything despite it being a solid story with good characters marred by endless murder and shooting.

I understand putting GTA _3_ on a "best of" list, the rest are iterative. It would be like putting Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the same top ten.

Orange Box at least has one good game on it- Half-Life. If the City-17 part of Half-Life 2 were its own game, it could be a contender. Pity about the rest of that piece of shit.

Dragon Warrior NES was bad ass. Shining in the Darkness for Genesis was bad ass too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2016 09:40 #223693 by Legomancer
Trying to think what my personal top 10 would be. Just off the top of my head:

PC:

Ultima 7
Diablo 2
Fallout
Baldur's Gate 2
Sim City 2000
Pinball Construction Set
Zork
Portal
Archon
Impossible Mission

I'll have to think about the console list

More
03 Mar 2016 13:48 #223708 by Jexik

Mr. White wrote: 10) Resident Evil 4
9) Super Metroid
8) Super Mario World
7) Metal Gear Solid
6) Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
5) Street Fighter II
4) Super Mario 64
3) Final Fantasy VII
2) Chrono Trigger
1) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

2) I used to say that Chrono Trigger was my favorite game period. I'm actually pretty surprised to see it as number 2 on a general list though. I was about 11 or 12 when I played it and I walked in with no expectations. It's the only JRPG that I've played through more than twice.

5) Street Fighter II (Turbo) was the first second SNES game I got after Lufia. It's the Doom of fighting games and it's hard to deny its influence.

8) Super Mario World was great- I still remember the look of horror on my older brother's face when I deleted his save, since he hadn't played for over a year.

6,9) I don't know how I missed Metroid or Zelda on the SNES. They might have been too hard for me since I was so used to playing turn-based games.

10) RE4 was solid. I didn't play through it all the way. It introduced that fun Mercenaries mode too, right? That was cool. My personal favorite Wii game was Trauma Center, but I'd be surprised if a game like that ever made it high on a list like this.

7) I like Metal Gear Solid a lot. I think I picked it and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for $20 each thanks to that greatest hits list. I jumped to Sony on that console generation and didn't regret it.

1) and 4) Like I said, I didn't get an N64, so I missed out on these games. One thing that I'm a little ashamed of is that I've never played through a Zelda game. Watching Super Mario 64 speed runs is insane!

3) Final Fantasy VII was a hyped pile of garbage. Well, it was mediocre, even by the standards of its own series of games. My personal favorite was number II (IV) on the SNES, although I am willing to admit that III (VI) was the 'best.' I really dislike the materia system, because it homogenized all of the characters. It was like if everyone on your team was a classic D&D Elf, but there was one guy (the main character) who did twice as much damage with his spells. There was another character who did lots of damage with spells, but they killed her. I had that part spoiled to me too, so it didn't surprise or affect me in anyway.

Some of my favorite console games that aren't on that list (although I guess I'd have to look further down and they might be there):

Armored Core
Oddworld: Abe's Oddyssey
Front Mission 3
Final Fantasy Tactics
Shining Force
Ogre Battle
Lunar the Silver Star (Sega CD)
Trauma Center

More
03 Mar 2016 14:24 #223711 by Tim Champlin
Permission to morph this thread into a personal top 10 video game list? I've played enough video games to have a solid list of 10 favorites but I wouldn't really consider myself a gamer in video format. Most of the games on this list I've beaten but a handful I haven't (yet) but still enjoyed them that I feel good about having them on my all time favorites.

1. Legend of Zelda-Skyward Sword: Some people didn't like the waving of the wiimote to use your weapons. I loved it. I haven't played to many games in this series but I have always loved the combination of the fantasy world with adventure and puzzles. This game came at just the right time for me.

2. Elder Scrolls V-Skyrim: I was resistant to playing this game because it was so popular. I finally took the leap and ended up being as obsessed with it as a lot of other people. Level yourself up, figure out what weapons and spells work best for you, and go fight some dragons.

3. Batman: Arkham City: I love comic books and this is the best comic book video game I've played. It feels so good to glide around the buildings and jump into a mass of criminals to beat up. Before this game I read and watched Batman. Now I was Batman.

4. Uncharted 3: This was the first game I played in the series. I played and loved 2, but this one is the one that got me. What an exciting and cinematic experience.

5. Mass Effect 2: Space opera, spaceships, laser guns, aliens. Awesome.

6. Super Mario World: For a long time this was the only video game I played and loved. My brother and I loved playing levels over and over again trying to discover new secrets. I think we got to the point where we found everything. This game is timeless.

7. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past: After playing and completing Skyward Sword I knew I needed to give this one a play. I didn't play it until 2013 but it was still just as fun as if I had played it in 1991.

8. Chrono Trigger: Another super nintendo jrpg I didn't play until long after it came out (2012ish). It's worthy of all the hype. I would love a table top rpg that has this theme of time traveling to different time periods and fighting whatever threatens you during that period.

9. Resident Evil 4: I wasn't interested in trying this game out but my friend talked it up and I found it really cheap for the wii. Playing this was a terrifying experience. I loved (but also kind of hated) the idea of easily running out of ammo so you always had to be mindful how much metal you were plugging into monsters and cult members.

10. Final Fantasy VII: This is a game that I haven't come close to completing and got stuck in a super random spot and haven't gone back since. I love the world it takes place in and the amount that I did complete was a blast.

Runner up: Diablo II-Sometimes all you want to do is just kill hoards of monsters with a big sword and a longbow.

Game I was really excited to play and then it intimidated the heck out of me: Baldur's Gate 2: I'm sure it's worth all of the hype it got. But there is SO MUCH to learn and do. Maybe I'll tackle this one when I'm retired.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
03 Mar 2016 15:49 #223718 by metalface13

Jexik wrote: Front Mission 3

Oh man, I forgot about Front Mission. That series has always looked right up my alley but I've never played it.

More
03 Mar 2016 19:36 - 03 Mar 2016 19:40 #223736 by Sevej

metalface13 wrote:

Jexik wrote: Front Mission 3

Oh man, I forgot about Front Mission. That series has always looked right up my alley but I've never played it.

I've always liked the series' military story background, but really can't stand the combat mechanisms. Multiple hit locations with little control on where to hit (at least at the beginning), random skill activation (better pilots use skills more frequently), etc.

I'd be hard pressed to make a top 10 video games.

The Quest for Glory series, Gothic series, XCOM, Skyrim, Master of Magic, Deus Ex and Mass Effect Trilogy are definitely up there.
Last edit: 03 Mar 2016 19:40 by Sevej.

More
04 Mar 2016 08:41 #223757 by Scott_F
My console game list will look a little weird - only RPGs and strategy games for me. Aside from something like Mario World and Mario Kart those are the only games I ever bought and played on any platform and I really only did SNES and PS games, aside from a few RPGS on PS2 and PS3. No order here either.

Secret of Mana. Still an amazing game. Bright colors, fun battle system, great thematic music for every setting, and a good story.

Ogre Battle. First army building type game I played and still a classic, SNES version. Nobody had it for sale but the local blockbuster rented it, so I had to "lose" it and pay them off for my copy of the game.

Final Fantasy II. For the story and badass characters, mostly Kain.

Final Fantasy III. For being the opposite of FFII and opening up a world to do as much or little in as you want. But giving everyone the same spells was kinda meh, a few characters were just better than others then. My game had some kind of glitch at one point where my entire inventory list morphed to 255 items, the most you could buy. 255 of the best items in the game (economizer was one of them, MP cost = 1 for all spells).

Legend of Zelda, SNES version. And it even came with a spoiler cheat book if you got stuck in the early game!

Lufia II. I think I liked this one better than the original. Cartoony characters but I loved running the endless dungeon, or whatever it was called that started your party at lvl 1 and offered no fucking save through 100 levels.

7th Saga. Toughest game on the list, most grinding for levels. Completely different character classes. Story was kinda meh, but it sure inspired alot of fear seeing the enemies as red dots on the map knowing you will die in the next random encounter if you can't avoid them or make it to town.

Final Fantasy Tactics. Played this again a few years ago. Still good but some of those special characters are just too powerful.

Brigandine. More army building, this time on Playstation. Great game if all you want to do is build an army of monsters and crush other monsters in a grid based map system.

Tactics Ogre. Kinda the opposite of FF Tactics. Very ugly, not as many special characters, your characters weren't that better than the enemy. But permanent death! And a 99 level random dungeon with uber enemies.

More
04 Mar 2016 10:11 #223771 by Jackwraith

SuperflyTNT wrote: Dragon Warrior NES was bad ass.

Yep. Played I, II, and III, beginning to end. Loved those games. Then went right from there to the original NES Final Fantasy.

More
04 Mar 2016 12:00 #223786 by Erik Twice
I'm not much of a list guy, but there are a handful games I feel pretty comfortable calling great. Some have been already covered so here are three that come to mind:

Beatmania IIDX: This is one of the best skill-games around though also one that is almost impossible to explain in words! There's simply such a raw connection between the game, the music and your actions and hand movements that you can't help but get into it.

OutRun 2 SP: Probably the best racing game ever made. Each curve in this game has more thought put into it than whole games have in all their circuits put together. Amazing ambiance too, it's far more than a driving game.

Tetris The Grandmaster 3: Terror Instinct: If you haven't played a game in the Grandmaster series,then you haven't played Tetris at its best. It's not evident at first glance but most versions of Tetris are mechanically flawed: Rotating in one direction is faster than the other, pieces rotate assimetrically and speed increases makes it difficult to reach the sides of the screen. Even worse, the Tetris company now dictates that you must be able to rotate pieces forever and prevent them from locking in place which completely destroys the game. The Grandmaster series has nothing of that, it has an incredibly sharp rotation system and moves the focus from mere survival to speed.

Team Fortress 2: This is the best shooter ever made. It rivals and surpasses Quake when it comes to area control and general mechanics except it's also ten times as wide and has a much better setting and more interesting themes. It's one of my favourite games for a reason and I'm sad it's getting harder to find good servers of it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds