October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Dark Souls III Official Thread

More
05 May 2016 13:32 #227037 by Gary Sax
You know, thinking on it, Dark Souls is sort of fucked up but I'm not really sure it has anything objectionable for an early teen. That's kind of funny to me.

Unlike Bloodborne.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2016 13:55 #227039 by Unicron
I've been stuck on Aldrich at the top of Anor Londo. My guy is a 67th level knight. I've got a few +7 weapons of various types, but this boss is wiping the floor with me. I only played for about 90 minutes, but with minimal progress. I think I need to forget tactics and wail on this creep with a great sword until he's a pulpy mass.

More
05 May 2016 18:55 #227054 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, there's not really anything in them that I don't think is fine for a 12 year old. It's not even really that bloody. Regardless, my 6 year old son saw it on the PS menu and said "I guess that is one of those killin' games".

Made a lot of progress today- beat the Crystal Sage with some help, did lots of exploring around the Cathedral of the Deep. Right now I'm stymied by another OMG Are You Kidding Me swamp area. It is not as bad as Blight Town or anything like that, but there's poison everywhere and deep water that slows you down.

I think it is definitely the best Souls game to date, although the refinement comes at the sacrifice of that sense of raw pioneering that Demon's Souls and the first one had. It doesn't feel as remote- it actually feels really familiar. And even the difficult parts you are coming to them equipped with plenty of knowledge about what to expect. Like "yay, I just opened these giant doors"...you know to maybe not go in there carrying 10k souls. You know to expect to find shortcuts. Even when you see a hidden item, it's easier to sort out how to get to it.

WTF is the deal with these people and messing around on rooftops. They love to put you on the roof.

I also find myself wondering what all of this stuff in the game looked like when it was new...like, just after the contractors finished building the Undead Burg. Before it went to seed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
06 May 2016 00:38 #227072 by Gary Sax
Alright, now I'm in Lothric. Using the dagger and small shield is really making me focus on parrying anyone who even vaguely has any armor, which I totally ignored in DS2. I've gotten quite a bit better at it but it's still tough. I'm not sure I'll continue using the dagger because it's quite stressful even for regular dudes.

I did manage to kill that motherfucker with the samurai sword with like 4-5 parries in a row. Fuck that guy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, Frohike

More
06 May 2016 11:05 - 06 May 2016 11:07 #227099 by Gary Sax
I am not sure I have the stones to play a thief dex build.

So I stripped down to just some light body armor and a bandit knife or spear w/little shield and tried to play that way. It's pretty awesome, when you are under 30% load you do this insanely long roll that clearly has a long invincibility spell. The problem is that it is too intense. You can't mess up against anybody. You always have to be sharp. It's simultaneously the most exciting and frustrating way to play souls. Regular dudes kill you in two hits. But you can dance around them with this huge roll and backstab the shit out of everyone. If I was more involved in every minute of play mentally, I could see it being the most rewarding way to play. I think, ultimately, I need a more forgiving build than that. I may put on at least some light armor and give up 30% roll and go to 30-70% and do a sort of lancer thing with high dex and leather or something.

Also, edit:

This tweet is amazing.
Last edit: 06 May 2016 11:07 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
06 May 2016 11:13 #227102 by Michael Barnes
I started out playing Cleric because I wanted to try something different...but then I chickened out on it and switched to Pyro.

So far, Pyro almost feels a little OP. At least up to the point where I am, there are lots of enemies that are weak to fire. And I throw fireballs at them. I'm doing a very high Int/Str build, but my Dex and Vit are fairly low. I'm mostly wearing medium armor (Fallen Knight set), so I have a good roll. Started out using a shield, but now I rarely equip one. Mostly just fireball hand and a one-hand axe. I'm actually still using the freebie axe you get in the class package with some upgrades. It's a fast swing, which I'm valuing more than a long reach or a higher damage per hit. I'm thinking about switching it up and using a spear or pike to keep things at a distance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
06 May 2016 18:02 #227161 by Black Barney
This is a really funny and enjoyable video of a guy ranking the Dark Souls III bosses from easiest to hardest.

I imagine this should be considered as spoiler stuff if you're in the middle of the game and want to experience everything totally fresh.

More
08 May 2016 00:38 #227194 by Gary Sax
Hmmm, so now I'm on the rapier which is better than that dagger I was using... more than bloodborne, it's so key to advance your weapon as soon as possible. Anyway, I'm now on that big ice knight in the castle.

More
08 May 2016 01:39 #227197 by Michael Barnes
He was a real son of a bitch...until I figured out how to cheese him.

The real Dark Souls begins here:

More
08 May 2016 09:58 #227200 by SaMoKo
I haven't had much time to play this week, but I sat down for an hour and futzed around until I got the third Lord of Cinder. Progress has been slow, but work is busy as hell and I keep getting distracted by invading people lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
08 May 2016 12:22 - 08 May 2016 12:22 #227202 by Gary Sax
Parrying timing is hard in this game. Especially against dudes with long weapons like spears, the timing doesn't make sense to me. I'm getting swords much more consistently, like the blue knight dude in the main castle courtyard.

Incidentally---infusing. Should I do it? Had anyone done it? I don't want to ruin my rapier.
Last edit: 08 May 2016 12:22 by Gary Sax.

More
09 May 2016 22:29 #227242 by Gary Sax
Sometimes the permanent death stuff in Souls drives me crazy. So I was with this NPC early in the game and we fought a fire demon. I was sniping him from afar (thank god for heavy dex build, it is SO cheap) and he charges in and then just falls off a cliff. I look it up and he has like 3-4 different encounter points but now he's dead forever because his stupid pathfinding dropped him in a pit.

More
10 May 2016 17:25 #227280 by Michael Barnes
JOLLY COOPERATTTTTTTTIIIIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN (splut).

Eh, stuff like that I see as part of the deal...it's kind of payback for all the times you cheese a boss or some doofus enemy runs off.

What gets me is the inscrutable stuff where you HAVE to do something a certain way at a certain time or something is lost forever. On the one hand, it creates this fascinating environment of mystery and discovery, on the other there's stuff that I don't see how you could possibly figure it out with consulting the internet.

I've switched to a frostbite sword, it's pretty darn good. And it's cool, I have fire on one hand and ice on the other. The swamp stuff blows, poison is awful. It's at least manageable, not like the swamp area in DS1 at all.

I actually started a DS1 game for the heck of it. Wow, does that game look rough now. I started a thief, got al the way to Undead Burg. It still totally holds up, but it is amazing how quick it is when you already know the mechanics and the general area.

More
19 May 2016 22:12 - 19 May 2016 22:13 #227821 by Gary Sax
Having a great time. The series is just so good. i was playing today in the Marsh after beating the sage dude with the big hat and kept dying to a giant crab... then I fight these two dudes in heavy armor and get into this incredibly frantic 1 v 2 battle. Even my wife looked up and started cheering for me until I chained together some parries and killed the first guy and then counter thrusted the other guy like a real fucker. Notice that it wasn't even a boss fight that got this reaction!

Still playing rapier w/little shield and very little armor. Playing the <30% build has been at times a real bitch but has really made the game balance on a razor's edge. I feel like a fucking ninja when I pull stuff off. And my roll goes like 30 feet so I guess that's the tradeoff.
Last edit: 19 May 2016 22:13 by Gary Sax.

More
25 May 2016 11:59 #228148 by Gary Sax
I am on serious Dark Souls 3 tilt today. I had to stop before I destroyed a controller. I'm on some castle roof after a graveyard and it isn't *super* hard but I keep fucking something up or falling off the roof. Tilt is really bad when you're playing a build that depends on your ability to roll and precisely parry.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds