October 09, 2023
2452 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Let's talk about OVERWATCH

More
16 Jun 2016 00:38 - 16 Jun 2016 00:38 #228985 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Let's talk about OVERWATCH
Trying to figure it out. Reinhardt is easy and satisfying, obviously the call of duty guy, double shotgun dude, mercy... but some of them I do not understand. I was using the giant monkey dude and I don't get it. He does no damage, his shield isn't really anything special...? Lots of thoughts like these with characters.
Last edit: 16 Jun 2016 00:38 by Gary Sax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2016 11:07 #228995 by Jackwraith
Winston is tricky. He's a back-line killer; what would be referred to in MOBAs as a "mage killer" or "diver" because he tries to get to the enemy ranged guys hanging out in the back. Then you shield and try to stay alive while the rest of your team comes forward to save your ass, since they're not pinned down by Widowmaker anymore. Good use of his leap is essential to getting effective play out of Winston, but teamwork (as with Zarya, Symmetra, and several others) is the way to really make him shine. Play slow at first, check out where their firepower is coming from and see if you can get there with a good leap. Let your team know that you're going in and will need backup ASAP. If they're decent players, they should be able to follow you at the right moment. While you're building charge on his ultimate, you can do the converse: run around your backline and beat up the divers from the other team.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
16 Jun 2016 14:18 #229008 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic Let's talk about OVERWATCH

iguanaDitty wrote: Tip for others who suck: Don't play Tracer. Tracer is for people who are good. Holy crap I died so fast. So many times.

Actually I consider myself a pretty sucky FPS player and, once I understood Tracer's role, she became one of my favorites. She's not really on the team to rack up kills as straight offense or hang around the objective as straight defense. She's kind of a no strings attached character. She's an annoying gnat who zips behind the enemy line and pesters & ganks when possible, pulling the opposing team's attention away from the objective. The trick is remembering her rewind ability (E). When she gets hit, rewind gets her out of the situation pretty quickly (and heals), especially if you can get your bearings quick enough and zip even further to safety or a healing pack if you're still being chased. Also, rewind is great for getting out of falling to your death, which can happen when you go blink-crazy and mess up.

It's basically a class for those who like to play like a spaz and grief the other team.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, SaMoKo

More
19 Jun 2016 22:08 #229127 by SaMoKo
Replied by SaMoKo on topic Let's talk about OVERWATCH

Frohike wrote:

iguanaDitty wrote: Tip for others who suck: Don't play Tracer. Tracer is for people who are good. Holy crap I died so fast. So many times.

Actually I consider myself a pretty sucky FPS player and, once I understood Tracer's role, she became one of my favorites. She's not really on the team to rack up kills as straight offense or hang around the objective as straight defense. She's kind of a no strings attached character. She's an annoying gnat who zips behind the enemy line and pesters & ganks when possible, pulling the opposing team's attention away from the objective. The trick is remembering her rewind ability (E). When she gets hit, rewind gets her out of the situation pretty quickly (and heals), especially if you can get your bearings quick enough and zip even further to safety or a healing pack if you're still being chased. Also, rewind is great for getting out of falling to your death, which can happen when you go blink-crazy and mess up.

It's basically a class for those who like to play like a spaz and grief the other team.

I love playing Tracer, and I generally do the same. She's best on maps where you can predict where the attacking player will route towards the objective. Harass them, stop them from taking flanks on your position, and try to get them to chase you. It's easy to get 2-3 players focused on chasing a white rabbit, and that makes the rest of the defending team's life much easier.

On the attack, I generally pick another character. Although her grenade can be REALLY good at taking out a cramped team, she tends to fare less well with the number of turrets that can fly around.

RE: Winston: He rocks at taking down snipers and turrets. He's an amazing offense character for cleaning up the back ranks and denying the defending team's position. Against front line DPS characters, he's not so great (or anyone who can negate his mobility).

More
20 Jun 2016 08:21 #229135 by Black Barney
OK all my friends have this and the reviews are really strong. I can no longer resist the pizza. I'll probably pick it up in the next week. Look forward to talking about it with u boyz

More
20 Jun 2016 09:21 #229138 by Jackwraith
Don't worry, BB. I played through most of the beta and still haven't picked up the regular game. It's not like $60 is THAT much, but I'm so invested in other things right now (including another Blizzard game: Heroes of the Storm) that I hesitate to drop the coin and then not really play. If you are diving in, though, enjoy. At some point, I'll get on and maybe we can try an all-F:AT team or something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
20 Jun 2016 09:30 #229140 by Black Barney
Yeah, i hear ya. I played the p00p out of the beta and haven't picked up the game yet, mostly because I have just tons of stuff to play still. Everyday I play Battle Islands, Battle Ages and Magic: Duels before I even think of touching another game. Lately, it's been trial versions of a ton of games and LIMBO (again).

Also the game is 80$ (before tax) which is a lot. But I talked my friend into getting it so we'll split the price. I also won a Magic tournament a while back which gave me a $100 credit on Xbox that I haven'\t spent so that's a good fit too.

Yeah, would be fun if we all played! I think I'm pretty out of touch from the beta tho. I used the Dwarf turret viking pirate guy mostly and I hear he's a bottom-tier character now since a nerf.

More
20 Jun 2016 20:44 #229156 by SaMoKo
Replied by SaMoKo on topic Let's talk about OVERWATCH

Black Barney wrote: Yeah, i hear ya. I played the p00p out of the beta and haven't picked up the game yet, mostly because I have just tons of stuff to play still. Everyday I play Battle Islands, Battle Ages and Magic: Duels before I even think of touching another game. Lately, it's been trial versions of a ton of games and LIMBO (again).

Also the game is 80$ (before tax) which is a lot. But I talked my friend into getting it so we'll split the price. I also won a Magic tournament a while back which gave me a $100 credit on Xbox that I haven'\t spent so that's a good fit too.

Yeah, would be fun if we all played! I think I'm pretty out of touch from the beta tho. I used the Dwarf turret viking pirate guy mostly and I hear he's a bottom-tier character now since a nerf.

Some of my best matches have been with him. His nerf hasn't made him weak, just gotta be smart on where turrets go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
20 Jun 2016 21:55 #229160 by Black Barney
I forgot to mention I'm playing on console so I think he's going to be the nuts in that meta. He and Bastion

More
23 Jul 2016 15:36 #230718 by Disgustipater
Anyone still playing? I just picked this up (PC). I've only played one live match so far, and chose Reaper. I don't think he's for me. I should stick with support characters while I'm learning the game.

Jeb is on my friends list. Anyone else want to play?

Brine#11185

More
23 Jul 2016 23:46 #230727 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Let's talk about OVERWATCH
Reaper is tough, because he needs to get so close to be effective. Good for newer players are those that can work at medium range and/or GTFO when it gets nuts:
Soldier76, Pharah, Hanzo, Mercy. Once you've adjusted to how things go, you can swap to anyone, taking care perhaps to avoid Zarya and Ana, as they need some pretty subtle play to be effective.

I am on PS4, so we won't overlap, sadly, but enjoy!

I currently "main" Roadhog and Lucio, and am totally comfortable playing Winston, Reinhardt, Junkrat, and Genji. I can and have played them all, save Ana (too new on the PS4, have barely had a chance).

More
24 Jul 2016 11:56 #230737 by Black Barney
I still play. Reinhardt is excellent to start with since he has limited mobility and is a supportive tank.

Get in front of your bastion and turrets and protect them.

I've noticed that because of how ultimates charge, you don't necessarily have to shoot healers first, you can totally shoot the tanks and fill your meters

More
24 Jul 2016 20:47 #230746 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Let's talk about OVERWATCH
Winston is so fun. He's a stone fox on Temple of Anubis Attack--where you have to head through the little channel and get the point, then capture the other point? If you can go in just a little behind a teammate to take the inevitable Torbjorn fire you can use Leap to jump over the whole bridge and into the objective. Lay down a dome and start zapping any Symettra turrets you find (Winston is her foil). The other team has to fall back to get you, which can take a while at 500 hp, health packs and crannies nearby for you to leap to. With that your teammates can make it through the pinch point and off you go.

Had a game today where we took both points in about 3 minutes.

More
24 Jul 2016 23:25 #230748 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic Let's talk about OVERWATCH
They balanced one of my favorites, D.VA, so I'm still pretty active on the game. I mostly alternate between her, Mercy if they need a healer (Lucio if it's Illios), and stints on Reaper if they need DD, or Pharah if turrets are a problem. I need to work on my sniping, since I have a hunch I'd enjoy Ana, as long as they do something about her mobility. She's too damned slow.

More
25 Jul 2016 08:14 #230754 by Black Barney
Mcree is insane since the patch

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.467 seconds