October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Let's talk about OVERWATCH

More
25 Jul 2016 10:16 #230759 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Let's talk about OVERWATCH

Frohike wrote: They balanced one of my favorites, D.VA, so I'm still pretty active on the game. I mostly alternate between her, Mercy if they need a healer (Lucio if it's Illios), and stints on Reaper if they need DD, or Pharah if turrets are a problem. I need to work on my sniping, since I have a hunch I'd enjoy Ana, as long as they do something about her mobility. She's too damned slow.

Lucio is also amazing on Lijiang Tower (Night Market). He can hold the back doors with his Thwomps to send any sneaky folks packing. Probably not as much on PC, where the fight more routinely moves away from the objective, though.

Ana is tough--she has such poor mobility, and shot for shot, the gun doesn't do much. I think she's better on PC, where you can count on those shots hitting. On console, not so much and she suffers as a result.

D.Va is a major pain in my ass--I feel like she needs a teeeeeny nerf outside her Mech. She can get too much done on her own and its a pisser.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2016 12:00 - 25 Jul 2016 17:31 #230771 by Black Barney
She's so hot it's nuts. With the Tjorborn nerf I'm thinking of switching to D.Va or a healer

OK I decided, I'm switching to Lucio. My buddy has been abusing Macrees range buff and we can do the buddy system with Lucio. This should be fun
Last edit: 25 Jul 2016 17:31 by Black Barney.

More
26 Jul 2016 17:13 #230896 by Black Barney
Dammit, they just nerfed mcree again. His range was nuts, my buddy was going on 25 kill streaks with him. Shoot. Ana got A buff too

More
10 Aug 2016 12:25 #231724 by jeb
Sirlin article here on ELO. www.sirlin.net/posts/overwatchs-ranking-point-system

I think I am officially in ELO Hell. I came out of ranking matches at 49. And was 50-50 for a while. Then had a losing streak of 4 or 5 that took me down to 42. Since then it's been a precipitous drop. My ELO is so low at this point I get "paired down" and end up as the high-man on lower ranked teams (I am solo queueing). I'm 40 now I think, and I see 29s on my team. I see my teammates take Mercy, Ana, and Symettra (together) on "Attack" missions. I see Torbjorn's turret... in the spawn room... for four minutes. I see me kill four players as Roadhog and the payload doesn't move, except backwards. I get 4-on-1'd as Reinhardt because my team all ran in front of my shield to the pinch point. I'm retiring from Competitive this season. It is literally wasting my time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
10 Aug 2016 13:08 #231729 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Let's talk about OVERWATCH
This game was really a dud for me. It never came together. Seems like maybe it's a tourney/group of friends game, and I don't play that way. It is incredibly frustrating even in quick match.

More
10 Aug 2016 13:15 - 10 Aug 2016 14:39 #231731 by Black Barney
I'm absolutely loving the game on console. Will start competitive tonight because I hear teammates are better. Last night I had the worst team ever. Absolutely terrible and I got really frustrated and had to turn it off. But nights like that are rare. It's only good when you play with friends. It's a team based game and you need to coordinate.

I'm only playing lucio now and am pretty good. Best ultimate in the game since the mercy adjustment.

On console, both Lucio and Zen are absolutely bonkers because they're so hard to kill with the harder aiming.

I think ideal team now, since last patch, is...

Mccree
Zen
Lucio
Ana?
Zarya
Either D.Va or someone else that I forget

I don't know how people can complain when the opposing team runs Tjorborn. He's almost as bad as Symm. So easy to beat

Jeb, you'd love to play with me. I'm always keeping Reinhardt company or i'm musically "MOVIN WITH da PaYLOAD". Which Lucio always sings :)
Last edit: 10 Aug 2016 14:39 by Black Barney.

More
10 Aug 2016 14:19 #231732 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic Let's talk about OVERWATCH
I'm getting tired of Quick Play, since the skill level is so low and most people seem to be using it to try out new characters, or play troll matches with stuff like 4 Genjis & 2 Bastions or all Sym and one healer. It gets old.

Not sure about getting into competitive since I'm a solo player & don't have a group and I worry that my experience will be similar to Jeb's.

I think No Man's Sky is coming along just in time for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
10 Aug 2016 14:52 #231739 by Black Barney
yeah Frohike you can't lonewolf this at all. I'm told that if you DO, you're better off in competitive since people play together more there, but I don't think it's a good game to solo at all.

More
10 Aug 2016 15:26 #231743 by Disgustipater

Gary Sax wrote: This game was really a dud for me. It never came together.

Same here. I think I'm level 9 and I've lost all interest in playing. That was mostly solo. I'll play if a friend is on, but that's probably it.

More
10 Aug 2016 16:00 #231745 by Black Barney
I mostly play just to watch this D.Va intro animation from time to time...

hey does that music sound like a mix of Super Smash Bros Melee with Jurassic Park?

More
10 Aug 2016 17:38 #231749 by jeb
I still love playing. I really enjoy the puzzle-like aspect of player selection as the game goes on. Per Barney's post, where folks just load out the "optimal team" and never change--that's boring as hell. I see a Bastion? I switch to Genji. I see Symettra, I switch to Winston. I see a map with holes in it, I switch to Lucio. I totally dig all this. My win rate is 85% when I take Torbjorn, but I haven't played him in a couple of weeks. It's a snoozer to watch folks feed themselves to the turret. The game has all these awesome moments, but a bad team can spoil all that when you feel like it should matter in Competitive. I'll head back to Quickplay and goof off. I am working on my Zarya timing and she is super fun when you get it down.

More
10 Aug 2016 20:54 #231766 by Michael Barnes
I'm still playing it too, casually and solo. I don't even know what level I am,
I don't know anything about the meta, I don't know who is needed right now, who the tier 1 characters are, etc. and I have somehow never selected Lucio or Zenyatta.I think it will go down as one of the most important and impactful designs of this video game generation. It is a flat out masterpiece of gameplay, design and production. Applying fighting game characters to a team shooter turned out to be a completely brilliant idea.

I guess I "main" D.Va, Zarya, Widowmaker and Mercy but I play most of the characters because they are all so well crafted and FUN to play.

I'm actually at the point now where the only current video games I am interested in are Blizzard, From, Platinum, Nintendo, Kojima and Blood Bowl 2.

More
10 Aug 2016 21:34 #231772 by jeb
You should practice a bit with Lucio and then try him out, Barnes, he is hilarious. He seems way more complicated than he is. The basic gist is you have two songs and one button switches between them (no cooldown, switch all you want). One is the Speed Boost song and it makes teammates with 30m move faster. You've been the benefit of this on some levels where you rush out the gate like crazy. once you get to the fight, hit the button and switch to the Healing Boost song, which passively heals teammates within 30m. Another button "boosts the volume" of whatever song you are playing to buff it for five seconds or so. If you can keep Mercy's switching straight, Lucio is no more complicated and way more maneuverable.

BUT, the best thing about Lucio is the Bwomp. It's a rapid cooldown concussive blast that tosses opponents back a good 5m or more. So on maps with the right environment, you can slay fools with this thing. Holding the point in the Lighthouse of Ilios? It's easier when you bwomp anyone coming in the sides into space. Those back doors to the Objective on Night Market? Bwomp ya later. How's about the level with the GIGANTIC HOLE in the middle? Bwomp bwomp bwomp.

His weapon is weak but reloads fast, so spam it.

Zenyatta is the bane of my existence as Roadhog. He kills me from a 1/4 mile away.

More
10 Aug 2016 21:54 #231777 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic Let's talk about OVERWATCH
I'll definitely vouch for the fun factor of Lucio. The Illios maps in particular are great for environmental kills. Booping some Reaper or other cocky DPS character into a hole (or, for bonus cred, a Tracer) is really satisfying. His AoE heal is also somewhat less frustrating than playing on Mercy when you're dealing with a bunch of lone wolves scattering in their own little skirmishes. If anyone whines for heals, I tell them to get on the fucking objective and find my AoE. If you play Lucio, also experiment with holding down the jump button (/ space bar) on walls and performing jumps up walls and obstacles. He's sort of a ghetto Genji in this aspect. You can skate around the walls of objectives or jump up to safety during ults like RIP Tire or D.Va's nuke.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
11 Aug 2016 08:42 #231794 by Black Barney
You guys are describing Lucio wrong. He doesn't have AoE healing like Zen does. He has line of sight healing. This changes everything. He should be holding the rear against flankers with Zen. He has zero business in the front lines. This two characters should consistently have the highest KD of your teams and that's not because they're killing.

Lucios sonic boom secondary is cute for environmental kills but it's real purpose is defense. It makes Lucio also impossible to kill between that, the jumping, and the passive healing. He's amazing.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds