October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Let's Talk Pokemon Go

More
15 Jul 2016 22:08 - 15 Jul 2016 22:08 #230284 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Let's Talk Pokemon Go

jeb wrote:

Wa?!

Simply incredible. The advertisements didn't even credit the game with this sort of fervor.

Next task...we got people out and together...now how to motivate them to spend that energy towards a real cause?
Last edit: 15 Jul 2016 22:08 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2016 22:56 #230286 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Let's Talk Pokemon Go

Mr. White wrote: Next task...we got people out and together...now how to motivate them to spend that energy towards a real cause?

www.boredpanda.com/pokemon-go-dog-walkin...muncie-volunteering/

More
16 Jul 2016 00:04 #230287 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Let's Talk Pokemon Go
Ha, I'd seen the dog-walking ad, but not the follow-up. Lines to walk the dogs is fantastic.

I'm amused but not enthralled with the game. The gym game is pretty lopsided for offense, and having a job really limits my upward mobility in Poke-world.

But, it's an awesome little piece of technology and the social aspects are so far unparalleled. My cellphone data is taking a beating thins month.

More
17 Jul 2016 19:18 #230331 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Let's Talk Pokemon Go

Not Sure wrote: But, it's an awesome little piece of technology and the social aspects are so far unparalleled. My cellphone data is taking a beating thins month.

Haven't tried it yet, but I kinda love the concept. That said, the whole concept raised a question, in mostly of an "Action Bronson Watches Ancient Aliens" kind of vein, for me: was this app developed by the NSA to vastly increase the ol' metadata and mobility collection efforts or, conversely, are there 30 highly cleared data center admins sitting and just weeping quietly while rocking back and forth in that massive data dump in Utah as they watch their capacity drop to near nil as the seemingly never-ending petabytes of spurious [to their mission] Poke-data pounds their systems?

More
18 Jul 2016 02:53 #230342 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Let's Talk Pokemon Go
Zuma Beach, gorgeous southern California, 80˚, nice waves, plenty ofTHERE'S A POKEMON OVER THERE
/folks running WHERE
/rummaging in bag for phone WHICH ONE?

This happened today. These were adults.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dogmatix, Jackwraith

More
18 Jul 2016 09:20 #230352 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Let's Talk Pokemon Go

jeb wrote: This happened today. These were adults.

More
18 Jul 2016 09:25 - 18 Jul 2016 09:26 #230354 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Let's Talk Pokemon Go

jeb wrote: Zuma Beach, gorgeous southern California, 80˚, nice waves, plenty ofTHERE'S A POKEMON OVER THERE
/folks running WHERE
/rummaging in bag for phone WHICH ONE?

This happened today. These were adults.

Heh. I live in an old converted mansion. It's an historical property and sits out on its own lot in a mixed zone area, so I'm pretty sure that most of the neighborhood thinks that it's a museum and most of the cars parked there are employees, because almost no one ever approaches the house. We don't get salesmen, missionaries, pollsters, notihng. But, man, within a day or two of the game being released, I've walked out my door at 6:30 AM to head to work and found any number of people of all ages (8 to elderly) walking around the massive front lawn, catching random Pokemon. I haven't tried it because I avoid collectible things like the plague these days, but the social impact is hilarious. Supposedly, tons of people are visiting libraries...
Last edit: 18 Jul 2016 09:26 by Jackwraith.

More
18 Jul 2016 12:07 #230377 by iguanaDitty
Replied by iguanaDitty on topic Let's Talk Pokemon Go
This game helped us get out of the house and to museums on Sunday. Super fun catching adorable Pokemon with my fam.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax

More
18 Jul 2016 13:00 #230388 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Let's Talk Pokemon Go
I have never played a Pokemon game (missed me by a good ten years), and won't be playing this one, but gotDAMN is this a phenomenon I can get behind. I love this idea, and I love the way it's getting so many folks excited about playing a game and just having a good time. I read some article about how it's "sending people to a drug corner" and I was thinking "Fuck that--it's a Pokemon corner that folks deal drugs at." Yeah, folks get robbed, folks fall off cliffs, but these are the stories the media can report. It's not fun reporting that 10M people are having a good fucking time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, wadenels

More
18 Jul 2016 17:28 #230426 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Let's Talk Pokemon Go
I've walked 49km with the Pokemon Go app alone in the past week + a few days, and I'm still having fun. I'm level 17 and my strongest Pokemon are just over 1000. There are still a lot of people stronger than me but I'm more effective at Gyms now. I dig it.

More
20 Jul 2016 04:38 - 20 Jul 2016 04:44 #230512 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Let's Talk Pokemon Go
Seen on a church sign a couple of miles from my house today: "Come for the Pokestop. Stay for Jesus..."

Edit: And the various mishaps be reported could be far, far worse. Late headline from the Beeb: "Pokemon Go: Bosnia players warned of minefields"
www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36841828
Last edit: 20 Jul 2016 04:44 by Dogmatix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
20 Jul 2016 13:49 #230520 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Let's Talk Pokemon Go
I ran out of pokeballs yesterday. Life was bleak. There was an Abra right in front of my house, but I couldn't catch him because I didn't have the balls (pun intended).

More
20 Jul 2016 19:25 #230533 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Let's Talk Pokemon Go
We had a french national detained for trespassing into a military compound.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Black Barney

More
21 Jul 2016 16:12 #230590 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Let's Talk Pokemon Go
Are people still playing this?

Have they not all been caught?

Are the gyms pretty much taken by the power gamers with no real challenge or turnover there?

More
21 Jul 2016 21:02 #230604 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Let's Talk Pokemon Go

Mr. White wrote: Are people still playing this?

Have they not all been caught?

Are the gyms pretty much taken by the power gamers with no real challenge or turnover there?

Yes, not yet, and no.

So most the powerful Pokemon you'll actually encounter have a realistic CP (combat power) max of around 1500-2000. There are a few really rare ones that can approach double that, but they are extremely rare and there's nothing you can do to make them show up for the catch. They're the unicorns of the game.

The game favors offense. This will get long-winded.

When a team holds a Gym the Gym has a level; a team can put up a defending Pokemon for each level that a Gym has. To level up a Gym that your team holds you have to fight the existing defending Pokemon ("training") with a single one of your Pokemon and win as many battles as possible. So if a single person were to take a Gym and put up a super-strong Pokemon with CP >= 1500 or so, there won't be many players on his team who can beat that Pokemon to level up the Gym and reinforce it. If a single person puts up a 500 CP Pokemon then lots of people will be able to beat it, which both means it's easy to take over but also easy for teammates to make the Gym stronger. So a Level 4 Gym may have Pokemon of 500, 800, 1200, and 1400 CP. You'll never beat that with a single Pokemon (unless you have one of those ultra-rare dudes) so there's sort of a realistic limit of how much reinforcement a Gym will receive unless for some reason it just never gets attacked by an opposing team.

The thing about the ultra-rare Pokemon is that you can only power them up by catching even more ultra-rare Pokemon of the same type. They're super-difficult to max out. It will be some time before anybody's popping up Gyms with a Pokemon of 3k CP or higher on the regular. It makes more sense to put something reasonable up and let your teammates reinforce the Gym if you can hold it long enough for that to happen. Or coordinate to that effect. Whatever floats your boat.

Here's the kicker: Each opposing team player that attacks the Gym gets to bring six Pokemon to the fight. I have several over 1000 CP, and I will waste that Level 4 Gym with 500, 800, 1200, and 1400. It will take me quite a few tries to whittle it down, but I will. Especially if I have some teammates to coordinate with. Each time a Gym Pokemon (even the single lowest one) gets defeated the Gym loses Prestige and Levels, until it is worn down to a single Pokemon and then none at all. Then the attackers can take it. Rinse and repeat.

It's actually pretty difficult to hold Gyms unless you're in an area where your team has a big population imbalance. That hasn't been the case in my experience. So I'm Level 18, and I'm still able to take down Gyms controlled by players higher level than me. It just takes some perseverance. And if I can't do it alone I can certainly do it with teammates. We'll wear that Gym down and take it. Then we'll probably lose it to the next team to attack. I've seen Level 7 Gyms. I've taken them down; sometimes with a teammate and sometimes without. I can keep coming back with my six attacking Pokemon, but the Gym keeps getting weaker. The limiting factor is how may Revives and Potions I have to keep my good Pokemon up for another attack. So far Revives and Potions have been reasonably plentiful if you're in an area where you have access to a good number of Pokestops.

I live in a populated area with lots of parks and memorials and no shortage of Pokemon, Pokestops, and Gyms to keep me equipped and busy. I imagine the dynamic is much less interesting in a rural area.

This post has more words about Pokemon than the sum total of the rest of my life. I hope you're happy with what you've done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Mr. White, sornars, Mantidman

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.348 seconds