October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2653 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Nintendo Switch

More
30 May 2017 10:52 #249240 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Nintendo Switch
I used to spend entire weekends 20 years ago at my buddy's place out of town with 3-4 guys and we would just play Nintendo Gamecube games like Super Smash, Mario Tennis, Mario Party... it was heaven. Very little alcohol surprisingly. I'm like you these days and can't keep up with the drinking anymore.

Nintendo has no problem with the young market, but the average gamer is 35 and they need to go after the xbox/ps crowd for casual gaming. These weekends we do are exactly what they're trying to sell and market.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2017 10:29 #250175 by fastbilly1
Replied by fastbilly1 on topic Nintendo Switch
Arms is slowed down Virtual On with more weapon and stage variety.

More
20 Jun 2017 10:48 #250179 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Nintendo Switch
I'm planning on picking up a Switch in the coming months. It's my understanding that for $300 I get the console, 2 joy cons, and 1 game pad thing to which they attach. What else will I need to get? Other than the obvious copy of Zelda.

More
20 Jun 2017 11:21 #250180 by fastbilly1
Depends on the types of games you like. The three you will see the most recommended are:
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - The best Mario Kart to date.
- Puyo Puyo Tetris - Tetris Grandmaster and Puyo Puyo 7 put together in an unholy union of drop puzzle madness.
- Blaster Master Zero - The incredible NES game made better (download only)

Just note the gamepad thing is the console, it does come with a dock for the TV.

More
20 Jun 2017 11:48 #250181 by hotseatgames
Sorry, when I said game pad thing, I meant that hunk of plastic that becomes a proper controller. What about accessories? We already have WiiU, so I will not be re-purchasing Mario Kart. Rainbow Road can die in a fire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
20 Jun 2017 12:00 #250183 by fastbilly1
Gotcha. Battlemode in MK8D was enough to get rid of my Wiiu copy. That was the only problem with MK8 and now it is fixed.

No accessories are needed passed the dog head looking controller mount. I mean you can go wild and get a charging doghead, or some of the 8bitdo controllers that had new firmware to allow them to be used on the console, but neither are needed. Keep in mind, if/when you buy new joycons, you will have to buy the doghead separately.

More
27 Jun 2017 13:16 #250508 by fastbilly1
With the 3.0 system update, now Pokken, the best SNES like controller to come out in the last decade and Gamecube controllers, are usable on the Switch. Both are in docked mode, or portable with a USB A to C dongle. Gamecube controllers are only usable with the mayflash SmashBrothers adapter with the most modern firmware. It has four controller ports, but all map to Player 1

I have talked with the creator of the Blissbox and he is confident that he will be able to get the 4play updated to run on the Switch in the same way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
13 Jul 2017 21:23 #251182 by hotseatgames
Scored a Switch tonight at Best Buy. Also picked up Zelda, which I'm updating now.

More
14 Jul 2017 11:32 #251192 by hotseatgames
So... how much Zelda do I have to play before Link becomes not such a total weakling?

More
14 Jul 2017 11:40 #251194 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Nintendo Switch
sounds like the pilot is the problem

More
14 Jul 2017 12:04 #251196 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Nintendo Switch

hotseatgames wrote: So... how much Zelda do I have to play before Link becomes not such a total weakling?

Until your switch transforms into a ps4 that has a better game in its drive?

I keed I keed.... But seriously, that systems library needs an injection of some better games. Right now it seems like the Mario kart/Zelda machine.

More
14 Jul 2017 12:21 - 14 Jul 2017 12:22 #251197 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Nintendo Switch

hotseatgames wrote: So... how much Zelda do I have to play before Link becomes not such a total weakling?

It never gets easy. There are monsters in there that will always be hard and terrain that will always be difficult. So get used to that aspect I'd say and get used to running away and creative saves.

That said if you focus on only solving shrines and activating towers you'll get to a point where you're at least useful and competent pretty quickly. You'll want hearts most of the time when you cash in but it's worthwhile to get at least two stamina boosts. I've got three and it's a nice balance. Weapons can't be relied upon since they break all the damn time but if you pick up a good sword or something don't waste it on monsters you can already beat. Same with special arrows too. Those fire ones are always good to have on you for emergencies.

Definitely my favourite RPG of all time and probably my favourite open world game too. You can get a solid 80 hours out of it without even trying.
Last edit: 14 Jul 2017 12:22 by OldHippy.

More
14 Jul 2017 12:31 #251198 by hotseatgames
Right now my pain points are his shitty stamina (I can run longer than he can, and I'm not an elf hero of time), his shitty inventory capacity, and as always....

"Weapon durability is so much fun!" - said no one, never
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
14 Jul 2017 12:44 #251199 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Nintendo Switch

hotseatgames wrote: Right now my pain points are his shitty stamina (I can run longer than he can, and I'm not an elf hero of time), his shitty inventory capacity, and as always....

"Weapon durability is so much fun!" - said no one, never

You might be able to run at your highest speed longer... but not longer in general obviously. You're not running non stop across the country I imagine... and I know you couldn't carry anywhere near his inventory (three complete suits of armor just sitting in your back pack?).

I actually like the breaking weapons for a few reasons. One is that I hate crafting and focus on inventory (you will get more inventory space eventually by the way). I just want to play and most RPG's break me with that exact thing, there's never any 'role playing' they're just stat games with leveling. Zelda lets me just play on my own. The bigger reason though is that I am constantly trying new weapons out and that's something I love to do. Variety alone is fun for me. I hate when I get shoe horned into a single style of play and end up being forced to min max everything just to stay competitive. In Zelda there is zero impetus to do that, in fact I don't think you even can do it. There are only a few armors available and everything else breaks so you have to learn to let go.

It's by eschewing the cliches of normal RPG conventions that makes Zelda a unique and interesting game... but those conventions are there for a reason, lots of people like them. It's also why I normally can't play RPG's... I tire easily of their systems and subsystems and...

It's not for everyone, true, but some of us do like weapon durability.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.293 seconds