October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2655 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Nintendo Switch

More
21 Oct 2016 08:37 - 21 Oct 2016 08:41 #236616 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Nintendo Switch
Thanks, Erik, that makes sense. I'm not sure what 'upscalers' are or what advanced solutions are required. I guess there's no easy solution like changing a resolution? Still, I wonder if I'd have the same issue on that 30games-in-one NES unit. Would they also still not appear blocky?

Back to the Switch...here's some interesting concepts someone came up with for these side controllers.

EDIT: JonJacob (good to see you around!) is right. Nintendo frequently innovates and is one of the main reasons I suppose I've stuck in their corner over the years when I do buy a console. Granted they have their franchises they milk, but so does everyone else. When it comes to their consoles though they look to move forward and try new things.
Last edit: 21 Oct 2016 08:41 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2016 09:13 #236618 by Chaz
Replied by Chaz on topic Nintendo Switch
I have a pretty long commute on a bus. Being able to seamlessly move between playing a game on the TV and on the bus is a killer feature for me. Usually I like to stick with playing one game at a time, but since a game is usually either portable or home-based, but not both, I usually have to split my attention, which sucks, since I don't get as much home gaming time. Being able to play most of a game on the bus, but then be able to play on the big screen if I get a chance? SOLD.

More
21 Oct 2016 09:22 #236619 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Nintendo Switch

Mr. White wrote: Thanks, Erik, that makes sense. I'm not sure what 'upscalers' are or what advanced solutions are required. I guess there's no easy solution like changing a resolution? Still, I wonder if I'd have the same issue on that 30games-in-one NES unit. Would they also still not appear blocky?

According to the press release, each game will be playable in three display modes: CRT filter (which adds a scan-line effect), 4:3 (which maintains the original aspect ratio), and Pixel Perfect (which turns every pixel into a perfect square). So you have several options for how you want it to look.

Also, here's a comparison video between the Classic and VC emulation:

The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13

More
21 Oct 2016 09:53 #236621 by Erik Twice
Replied by Erik Twice on topic Nintendo Switch

Mr. White wrote: Thanks, Erik, that makes sense. I'm not sure what 'upscalers' are or what advanced solutions are required. I guess there's no easy solution like changing a resolution? Still, I wonder if I'd have the same issue on that 30games-in-one NES unit. Would they also still not appear blocky?

An upscaler is a device that enlarges low resolution pictures so they can be properly displayed in high resolution displays. You only need one if you want to use original hardware don't have space for a CRT and hve money to spare.

The NES Classic outputs HDMI natively so it doesn't require upscaling and has a "CRT Filter" that "Looks like an old TV, scan lines and all." That means the groundwork is there for the games to be displayed properly so it looks like a good choice. That said, the vast majority of CRT Filters are very heavy-handed with the "CRT-look" and tend to blur the image too much so stand with care.

Of course, I'm sitting right next to two broadcast-quality CRTs I bought exclusively to play games on so take my comments with a grain of salt: Chances are the NES Classic is the best, easiest way to play these games without diving into nerdy details.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
21 Oct 2016 10:52 #236624 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Nintendo Switch
I have hated all the CRT filters I've seen, it's a bit of bummer.

More
21 Oct 2016 12:15 #236632 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Nintendo Switch
Yeah, when I play enulated games, I really like the super crisp look.

More
21 Oct 2016 14:46 #236635 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Nintendo Switch
I need two things from the Switch, and I want both of these at launch:
* Ability to play online against my friends without having to deal with Nintendo's awful friend code system.
* Normal power adapter for the tablet part. That alone would make this handheld, home, and travel-worthy. The last one's a big deal, since the trailer pretty clearly shows the Switch has local multisystem multiplayer similar to the 3DS and I don't need me battery anxiety during Mario Kart.

I wonder if the docking station has video/audio out capabilities beyond what the tablet itself currently provides. If so then you could upgrade your Switch in a couple years just by purchasing the new tablet piece.

More
13 Jan 2017 10:52 #242353 by fastbilly1
Replied by fastbilly1 on topic Nintendo Switch
March 3rd, $300. Preorders went live today.

I got up early for work and checked Gamestops site and got lucky and preordered one. Last nights conference was lackluster, but I figure I was going to get one anyway, and have the money now. Then I get to the office and see not only is Puyo X Tetris getting an English release on it, we are getting a sequel to Super Bomberman 5.

Pay to play online is industry standard now, even if I dont like it, but they did mention that all games showed had LAN multiplayer.

More
13 Jan 2017 10:54 #242354 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Nintendo Switch
so is this considered the next console for Nintendo? Is there going to be a new Mario Kart for this one?

More
13 Jan 2017 10:56 #242355 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Nintendo Switch
Was coming to chat about this, actually.

Wii U has been craptacular value (FOR ME), I played all of Super Mario 3d World and like one or two other things and that's it... the things that would save this device are increasing the battery life in future versions but mainly the promise of a new unified Nintendo platform---if DS development ends and everything goes on this the software library could be really, really good.

More
13 Jan 2017 11:12 #242356 by fastbilly1
Replied by fastbilly1 on topic Nintendo Switch

Black Barney wrote: so is this considered the next console for Nintendo? Is there going to be a new Mario Kart for this one?

This year we get Mario Kart 8 with all dlc, more characters and tracks, and proper battlemode:

The battery life is a sticking point for me aswell Gary. Especially since USB-C is so specific on cables/batteries/chargers. But all signs are pointing to one unified Nintendo platform, so high hopes on the software front because of that. The DS and 3ds have had pretty killer libraries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
13 Jan 2017 11:16 #242357 by wadenels
New Mario, new Zelda, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and a host of other stuff make this look really good.

But $410 after figuring in a second controller (2 joycons + holder thing), and a 2.5hr+ battery life aren't so good.
No games in the box also not so good. So now I'm up to $500 for a Nintendo system with 2 gamepads and a couple games.

I thought I'd be a for sure sale on the Switch, now I'm not so sure... The deal maker/breaker might be how well Nintendo executes their online service.

More
13 Jan 2017 11:18 #242358 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Nintendo Switch
I preordered from Target, it seems like they still have some. I got the neon one because, well, why wouldn't I.

I watched the whole press conference, I was building a Gundam model to put on my son's birthday cake so I had it on in the background. What a weird, goofy, awkward presentation. At first I was thinking "shit, they've blown it". But then I started thinking "OK, so this really is more of a direct follow-up to things they did with Wii". Then they showed the Mario Odyssey thing and I was checking Amazon to see if preorders were up yet. And then that dude came out and did some weird thing about Splatoon 2, which would have been the low point of the whole thing except that Suda 51 got on stage and apparently had no talking points at all except "oh, I am kind of thinking about making another No More Heroes". Then the awkward Japanese businessmen- "Yes, hello today, we at Sega are very honored to be working with Nintendo and we hope that you will give us another chance. Thank you." And the endless "now let's switch over to that! CLICK!"

But then as soon as Reggie and Miyamoto showed up, it seemed great again. AND THEN THE ZELDA TRAILER, which looks utterly stunning...and it has TALKING! AND IT'S OUT LIKE IN SIX WEEKS!

Overall, there are some really interesting things, some really WTF things.

That 1 2 Switch thing looks stupid as shit...but it is really quite on trend, you think about all that stuff like Sportsfriends, Johann Sebastian Joust, etc., very interactive games where like they said, you look the other player in the eye rather the screen. If it is something like a WarioWare/Rhythm Heaven kind of thing it could turn out to be still stupid as shit, but really good too.

Arms looks awful. And I thought it was kind of odd that they said "this game is where you will find the newest Nintendo characters". It's like Roxy Ribbon and Stretchy McStretch or something like that. Also, I do not see "lots of deep gameplay and replayability" as advertised.

Skyrim, who cares.

I have always wanted an ice cube shaking game, to this point no game has been able to accurately simulate putting ice cubes in a glass.

Fire Emblem Warriors might be good.

Nothing in it was as good as the Star Fox puppets.

Iwata is sorely missed.

But whatever, they got my $300 it looks like.

More
13 Jan 2017 11:43 #242363 by wadenels
If you don't dig 1-2-Switch the only other launch title appears to be Zelda. Everything else is squishy timelines. I was under the impression Nintendo had learned their lesson and was working on a solid launch line-up.

If their online service doesn't come with a lot of quality content I can play on the Switch immediately then I'm out until there's more than literally 2 games available.

On Arms: I'm not paying $59.99 for that.

On 1-2-Switch: I like looking at the screen when I play video games. I'm not going to drag my Switch to the park so we can play JoyCon games on a sunny day. Wii Sports is cool and makes sense. 1-2-Switch? What's the appeal here?

More
13 Jan 2017 11:45 #242364 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Nintendo Switch
I have never owned a Nintendo console and I'm too old to be changing things now.

Seriously though, the only two games on Wii and Wii U and Switch that I had any interest in at all were Wii Sports and Splatoon. There's no way I'm dropping all that money on a console to play one game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds