October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Let's talk Nobunaga's Ambition + Shameless plug

More
08 Mar 2017 06:20 #244940 by Erik Twice
You might remember me being obsessed with Nobunaga's Ambtion: Sphere of Influence a few months back and kept telling everyone to try it, because it was really good. Well, after many, many months of technical problems and overall lazyness, I finally reviewed it:

My Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence review

I know this is kind of a shameless plug, but I think many people here would really like this game, specially those that, like Barney, enjoyed the earlier entries in the series. They are really interesting games, full of dramatic flair, narrative and fun mechanics and I think they will appeal to many users of this site who wish their strategy video games were a little bit more like their boardgame counterparts and are tired of cheating AIs that act irrationally.

Sadly, the game tends to be quite expensive, I hope Steam slaps a big discount on it and its expansion because I think many people would really enjoy it.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, JEM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2017 08:50 #244942 by Black Barney
when i look at the 2nd-to-last image in your review, the one with the overall map and who controls which regions, i get goosebumps. Those were the types I games I used to love as a teenager. The map the units moving around that city (with the river) looks SO cool too. I don't play games on Steam but if this was on console, i'd be all over this thing. Fun review, thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

More
08 Mar 2017 09:50 - 08 Mar 2017 09:52 #244945 by Erik Twice

Black Barney wrote: when i look at the 2nd-to-last image in your review, the one with the overall map and who controls which regions, i get goosebumps. Those were the types I games I used to love as a teenager. The map the units moving around that city (with the river) looks SO cool too.

I'm really glad you like those pictures! I was actually afraid they wouldn't look right because they are cropped from the actual screenshot, the actual map is huge and takes up the whole screen:

For reference, the picture with the units, the city and the river is taken at the yellow mark I made in the middle of the map on the map (Nagoya). You can zoom in from that aerial view all the way to surface level which gives a great sense of space. The textures and some models are a bit rough, but it still manages to be very pretty. I got the game right around the time I got my new monitor and speakers and NA was a fantastic showcase.

I don't play games on Steam but if this was on console, i'd be all over this thing. Fun review, thanks!

It's actually available on consoles too, you can play it on PS3, PS4 and now the Switch, I think. From what I saw with a friend, they seem identical to the PC version and the menus shouldn't be much of an issue with a controller.

I think you would really like it, so if you find a cheap copy, give it a try!
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Mar 2017 09:52 by Erik Twice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
08 Mar 2017 09:54 #244946 by Black Barney
yeah if it's turn-based, instead of real-time, then consoles are fine for this stuff. I have an Xbox One though :(

More
08 Mar 2017 10:03 #244948 by Erik Twice

Black Barney wrote: yeah if it's turn-based, instead of real-time, then consoles are fine for this stuff. I have an Xbox One though :(

Ah that's a shame! I thought you had a PS4 :(

The game runs on a mixture of turn-based and real time. During the development phase, the game is turn-based, during the military phase, it's real-time with pause and adjustable speed. So you can take all the time you want and then let your actions take place.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds