October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Best iPad Games

More
20 Mar 2017 21:42 #245428 by jeb
Best iPad Games was created by jeb
I'm going to select and describe some of my absolute favorite iPad games, with reasons, and prices, links, where able. You should know where I am coming from: I don't like ads in my games, so if it uses ads it's got a strike against it. I don't mind paying for quality. I'm not going to moan about spending $5 on something that entertains me or the kids for three hours. F2P mechanics are fine as long as they don't make me spend $ to play/enjoy the game. I mostly play by myself, so awesome online/F2F options are not going to be a big factor in my picks. I have had an iPad since Day 1 and have seen a lot of garbage and a lot of awesome stuff.

I would like to use this thread as a reference, so try to keep the post quality high. Something like:

i liek grabbus, i dunno its fun and it was a $1.

is not what I am after and I will harass mods to delete it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2017 21:42 #245429 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Best iPad Games
HEARTHSTONE by Blizzard Entertainment

A game so good it has its own 100-page thread here. The game is free, but's that's a little misleading. It's a free-to-play collectible card game, and as F2P goes, it's very playable without ever spending a dime. But you'll want to if you are like me, and end up a good $100+ invested (over the last three years).

Your library of cards and history is shared across PC/Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android versions, and the game is funny, bright, and fascinating. Suitable for kids, assuming you advise them not to accept randos as "Friends" for post-game racist/misogynist ranting. The interface on the iPad mirrors the PC, with all the play area stuff to goof around with and the full view of hand and board. On smaller screens you are obliged to switch and it can be a little obnoxious. It requires being online to play.

There is a very rudimentary AI for practicing, and really interesting puzzle-like Adventures for PvE. but almost all the play is PvP. With daily quests, options for Sealed play with prizes, and weekly packs, you should average about three packs per week with regular play at no cost. Gorgeous game, incredibly well supported by Blizzard , Reddit , and a zillion others .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantidman, Vlad

More
20 Mar 2017 23:50 #245430 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Best iPad Games
Twilight Struggle by Playdeck ( itunes.apple.com/us/app/twilight-struggle/id942766453?mt=8 )
I liek it, I dunno it's only 9,99$

I always have 2-3 games of TS running on my Ipad. My way to play it: 1) set up the longest time possible (I think 45 days), because it is frustrating when anyone runs out of time, and 2) give +3 or even +4 handicap to the US, because it is seriously skewed towards USSR otherwise, 3) random sides. Alternatively, you can play a game in real time, setting the timer to 90 minutes - it is great, too, but I usually don't have that much uninterrupted time.

If you're new to TS, play against the AI, it is surprisingly competent and a great way to learn.

In my opinion,TS is one of the greatest 2-player boardgames evar, in the same league as chess. It is easier and less "academic" than chess. You do learn as you play, and experienced player will most likely best the inexperienced one, BUT once you get to a certain level of competence, you enjoy the game against any opponent (unlike chess, which I find impossible to enjoy unless playing against an opponent who is roughly on the same level as I am). What I really love about TS, though, is that the fortunes can change in a matter of rounds. Sometimes you feel cornered and everything is so bad it looks unwinnable. Yet there's always hope and I've seen (and even performed) some truly dramatic rebounds. Most games are tense as hell, and as you're sweating about which of the "lesser evil" cards to play, you try to remain calm by thinking that your opponent is agonizing on their end.
Finally, I think I enjoy the digital version even more than the boardgame. At the very least it gets played way more often.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Black Barney

More
21 Mar 2017 02:26 - 22 Mar 2017 23:55 #245434 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Best iPad Games
Don't Starve. I missed a fucking plane because of that stupidly hard but addicting game.

{Sorry, Place holder for future full length stuff so I don't get a 6 week ban)
Last edit: 22 Mar 2017 23:55 by KingPut.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
21 Mar 2017 09:16 #245440 by bendgar
Replied by bendgar on topic Best iPad Games
Hill Climb Racing 1 & 2. It may be simple and dumb but I have put more time into that series than any other pad/phone game.

More
21 Mar 2017 09:35 - 21 Mar 2017 23:55 #245442 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Best iPad Games
Uniwar

I know it's not the coolest, boardgame-iest app out there, but I have put so many hours into this game playing mostly friends. They are constantly rebalancing units, there is a strong, active user base and it feels like a good wargame with embedded rules so you can focus on your strategy. Honestly, this is as good or better than any future implementation of something like GEV. It also has a map editor and an AI solo campaign.
Last edit: 21 Mar 2017 23:55 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
21 Mar 2017 10:05 #245446 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Best iPad Games
Magic: Duels. It's free, there's no real ads. Much easier grind than Hearthstone and a FAR better CCG.

More
21 Mar 2017 11:59 #245458 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Best iPad Games
And we blew it. Nevermind. I'll build articles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, southernman, SuperflyPete

More
21 Mar 2017 13:38 #245463 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Best iPad Games
in my defence, my post was of an extremely high quality.

More
21 Mar 2017 13:59 #245465 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Best iPad Games
I've really enjoyed XCOM: Enemy Within. The graphics and sounds are wonderful; the missions are very tactical and addictive; the framing economics, R&D, and world protection take thought as well. There's never enough time or money to do all that you want, especially on the harder settings. Speaking of which, there are a TON of ways to customize the gameplay to make it harder or more random. I also love the customizing of your soldiers, and it can really hurt when they die.

The full campaign can take a really long time, so the missions may start to feel repetitive. However, I think that's a risk with almost any video game. I don't remember how much I paid for it, but it's been out for a while so it's probably relatively cheap now. Either way, I've more than gotten my value out of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
21 Mar 2017 14:01 #245466 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Best iPad Games
Oh, and I whole-heartedly second both Hearthstone and Twilight Struggle (although I haven't played the latter for a while. Need to correct that).

More
21 Mar 2017 20:19 #245482 by iguanaDitty
Replied by iguanaDitty on topic Best iPad Games
Helsing’s fire is a really nice puzzle game about light and shadows, kinda easy but pleasant.

Talesworth adventures are good puzzle games with somewhat unique mechanics. I enjoyed the first a lot and ran out of steam in the second, which feels a little loosely structured.

Dream Quest is the only permanent fixture on every device I own. I’ll take a break for a few months and then get into trying to beat the game with samurai again. It combines my love of strategy card games with dungeon crawling in a way that no other game really does. It was good enough it got its designer hired by Blizzard who were all addicted to it.

Solitairica sort of scratched the card game Rpg fix for awhile but it gets very repetitive. Fun for the journey though.

Sentinels of the multiverse is a really good adaptation. Kinda fiddly though in a similar way as the physical version, you have to click every where to check the status of everything.

The pathfinder adventure game gets a qualified recommendation. It’s much nicer than doing all that shuffling yourself and has some nice quality of life stuff...but also has bugs that never really get squashed, or get replaced by new bugs. Still, overall a worthy adaptation.

Alto’s adventures is a very chill, pretty, endless 2d snowboarder.

I loved the room 1 and 2, nice puzzle boxes with great graphics and atmosphere. For some reason I didn't like Room 3 as much.

Can’t stop is a nice version of the board game, good for a few minutes fun.

Of the 3 “go” games, Lara Croft Go is my favorite. Great character to the animations and pleasant puzzling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Grudunza

More
21 Mar 2017 20:40 #245484 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic Best iPad Games
I still play Dream Quest with some regularity. An insane amount of replayability and depth there. Easily my favorite app game ever.

As far as board game apps, specifically for iPad, I think Eclipse is one of the best. I still fire that up now and then.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, RobertB, Gregarius, Feelitmon, Vlad

More
22 Mar 2017 00:37 - 22 Mar 2017 00:38 #245486 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Best iPad Games
Dream Quest and X-Com are both great games. X-Com is just one of the best squad-based tactical games of all times, on any platform. Dream Quest is an original and deep design, i think anyone interested in rogue-likes and card battlers should at least try it - there's nothing similar to it. The only reason I don't have them on my Ipad right now is that I've played them both to death.
I personally prefer Magic Duels to Hearthstone. I find it really hard to get into Hearthstone at this point because I didn't keep up with the meta, and it feels a very different game now from the one I played 2 or 3 years ago. Magic is still Magic, though. Yet both sort of require deep commitment because deck-building.
I don't like Don't Starve, for one reason - you need to tap on a tree for each swing of the axe. You need about 5 swings to down a tree, then tap again to pick up each branch from the ground. And then move to another tree and repeat the process. All of this tapping could have been automated, because the game is really not about tapping, but making decisions. Unfortunately, it gives me the same feeling of futility as when playing a freemium.
Last edit: 22 Mar 2017 00:38 by Vlad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, Black Barney, Feelitmon

More
04 Apr 2017 09:00 #245934 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Best iPad Games
Today I get my brand new iPad. Keep the suggestions coming!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.346 seconds