October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Thoughts on Splotter games?

More
23 Mar 2018 12:19 #266257 by Erik Twice
Exactly what it says on the tin. What do you think of Splotter games? Do you own any, have played some, have some thoughts on them? I would love to hear your thoughts as I'm not sure what to think of them just by reading opinions at BGG.

I would specially love if you have some thoughts on Roads & Boats.

Thanks everyone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2018 12:34 #266261 by SuperflyPete
I’ve never played one. Sorry z

More
23 Mar 2018 13:49 #266271 by barrowdown
I have liked the two big Splotter games I have played (Indonesia and Roads & Boats). They are well designed, player-driven economic systems that are relatively brutal in their simplicity of conflict. They blow most euros out of the water on the economic engine front. However, nothing about them is what I would describe as "clean". They work well, but the edges of the game are still clearly evident. You will not win because the engine keeps everyone close together. You will win because you either ruthlessly slaughtered your opponents or you managed to take advantage of someone else's misstep. I highly recommend their design style. As far as I know, their only real mistake on the big games was Duck Dealer.

The smaller titles (VOC!, Oraklos, Beest, and Cannes) have been meh to sort of good. They seem more like test runs of an idea instead of a final game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bronb

More
23 Mar 2018 16:43 #266285 by Michael Barnes
I'mma come out and say it. Splotter games are hugely overrated and are designed to appeal to uber-Eurogame elitsts. Granted, I like Antiquity, but realistically...I think that is the only Splotter game I've ever actually liked. Roads and Boats I haven't played in years but it is a total bore- logistics overload. I played it a bit back when BGG had it in some kind of beta when they were looking at hosting digital games I guess. Fast Food Franchise is another snoozer- you literally build org charts in the game. None of their games look good (good god, Cannes). All are exactly as Beau described- not clean. They all feel clunky and overwrought, overcomplicated to appeal to those elitists.

I've always wanted to try Indonesia but never have, I hear it's a good one.

More
23 Mar 2018 17:43 #266291 by bronb
Replied by bronb on topic Thoughts on Splotter games?

Michael Barnes wrote: I'mma come out and say it. Splotter games are hugely overrated and are designed to appeal to uber-Eurogame elitsts. Granted, I like Antiquity, but realistically...I think that is the only Splotter game I've ever actually liked. Roads and Boats I haven't played in years but it is a total bore- logistics overload. I played it a bit back when BGG had it in some kind of beta when they were looking at hosting digital games I guess. Fast Food Franchise is another snoozer- you literally build org charts in the game. None of their games look good (good god, Cannes). All are exactly as Beau described- not clean. They all feel clunky and overwrought, overcomplicated to appeal to those elitists.

I've always wanted to try Indonesia but never have, I hear it's a good one.

Fast Food Franchise isn't Splotter, it's by TimJim. You mean Food Chain Magnate. Of the two I prefer FFF. Splotter's main design consideration is not "to appeal to those elitists". Their design style and look remain unchanged from before those elitists discovered them.
I like their earlier stuff, Roads & Boats, Bus. I even liked Duck Dealer.

More
23 Mar 2018 18:44 #266296 by Michael Barnes
Ha, yes, thanks for correcting- Fast Food Franchise is awesome! Food Chain Magnate is not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bronb

More
23 Mar 2018 23:44 - 23 Mar 2018 23:48 #266303 by MacDirk Diggler
*Barnes is getting old and it may be affecting his memory.

Mike, pull up your review of Greed Inc. and refresh. It’s a glowing 5 star review which moved me to buy the game. I have played if several times and it’s great.

So, there is one very good Splotter game. Roads and Boats may be another
Last edit: 23 Mar 2018 23:48 by MacDirk Diggler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
24 Mar 2018 00:54 #266304 by Michael Barnes
Ah! I completely forgot that Greed Inc. is Splotter...and in fact, the BEST Splotter.

I kept thinking there was another that I liked other than Antiquity...but you know, I’ve not played Greed Inc. in 8-9 years maybe? I’d like to revisit it sometime...it has such a great theme.

More
24 Mar 2018 06:21 - 24 Mar 2018 06:26 #266305 by Gary Sax
I find them very intellectual if you're into economics. They're capitalist games made by people extremely skeptical of capitalism, imho. They each tend to be concerned with their meditation on particular market failures/mechanisms---Greed Inc is their criticism of corporate personal vs. organizational success motivations, Antiquity is about (un)sustainability---growth and waste in capitalism, Food Chain Magnate is about the way that companies task themselves with creating demand via psychology for the very goods they're trying to figure out how to supply... haven't played Indonesia, I believe it's about logistics but again, usually Splotter games are not glorifying capitalism so it's probably about some perverse incentive in logistics.

If the above paragraph makes you roll your eyes, say it's a bunch of overly academic clap-trap and say "not fun!" then I think you know your answer (that's not personal criticism, btw). I find them interesting but at times hard to play. You need a group of gamers willing to commit to them for a few games at least, I think, and they can be long games.

Oh, also, Splotter games are super, super cutthroat, which is something I don't think many people realize about them.
Last edit: 24 Mar 2018 06:26 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, Erik Twice, Oatmeal

More
24 Mar 2018 09:06 #266306 by barrowdown
Following Gary’s descriptions, Indonesia does include logistics, but I think it’s focus is on the natural push towards megacorporations as the game starts with smaller regional companies that eventually merge and devour each other.

More
24 Mar 2018 11:23 #266308 by Gary Sax
Ah, ok, that makes sense. So Roads and Boats about logistics and Indonesia about market concentration. Thanks!

More
24 Mar 2018 15:01 #266317 by bronb
Replied by bronb on topic Thoughts on Splotter games?

Michael Barnes wrote: Fast Food Franchise is awesome!

Hats!

More
25 Mar 2018 19:24 - 25 Mar 2018 19:26 #266333 by Erik Twice
Ha, I appreciate everyone's comments :)

The interesting thing. Barnes, is that the reasons I'm looking into Roads & Boats is exactly that logistics overload. I like logistic games, Transport Tycoon is one of my favourite games of all time and I've sunk several hundreds our in Factorio. R&B has been compared to both and I can see it really appealing to me, exactly because it's that kind of excercise.

On the elitism thing, I haven't seen that, to be honest. And hey, I play and love train games which have a fairly elitist community. But the games themselves aren't elitist so I can play them with people who are actually fun :)

By the way, if anyone has Roads & Boats and wants to sell it, please do tell, it wasn't that popular of a game around here and I haven't found a copy yet.

Gary Sax wrote: They're capitalist games made by people extremely skeptical of capitalism, imho.

This is actually very common amongst designers of economic games! Which to me is a good thing, mind.
Last edit: 25 Mar 2018 19:26 by Erik Twice.

More
25 Mar 2018 20:23 #266334 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Thoughts on Splotter games?
Erik, would like to know what do you think about R&B once you've played it. Logistics games on PC are also my favorite, but with 4X and RPG, I've found that I'd rather stick to computer games. I wonder if logistics are the same.

More
26 Mar 2018 10:03 - 26 Mar 2018 10:04 #266354 by Erik Twice

Sevej wrote: Erik, would like to know what do you think about R&B once you've played it. Logistics games on PC are also my favorite, but with 4X and RPG, I've found that I'd rather stick to computer games. I wonder if logistics are the same.

I will try to write an article or something. I know I always say that, but don't, but I'll try. On the very least, I'll try

So far I think that economic boardgames blow videogames out of the water so I'm hopeful. The issue is finding a copy, it's proving harder than I thought it would be by far.
Last edit: 26 Mar 2018 10:04 by Erik Twice.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.265 seconds