October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Close Combat - Anyone else ever play this game?

More
06 Feb 2008 13:25 #2047 by Nazhuret
I used to love this game. They had two sequels. "A Bridge Too Far" and ... Something Russian..

I only ever had the first one but I borrowed ABTF from a friend for a couple of weeks. I absolutely loved those games and it seems that nobody have ever heard of them.

I'm just remembering... Not much to say about them other than that. Carry on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2008 13:42 #2050 by mikoyan
Nazhuret wrote:

I used to love this game. They had two sequels. "A Bridge Too Far" and ... Something Russian..

I only ever had the first one but I borrowed ABTF from a friend for a couple of weeks. I absolutely loved those games and it seems that nobody have ever heard of them.

I'm just remembering... Not much to say about them other than that. Carry on.

I saw it at the game store and came pretty close to picking it up but that level of combat doesn't interest me unless it involves ships.

More
06 Feb 2008 13:45 #2052 by jur
Yeah, it's the only compu game I ever played and loved it. So much it worked up my RSI (in combination with an attempt at a PhD).
all in 2D so it was overtaken by other tactical games with better graphics (but worse tactics)
iirc

CCII: Bridge too far, known for its playing against time
CCIII: Russian Front has one variable combat team going through all the major battles
CCIV: Normandy, had numerous fairly fixed combat teams working over a map of the area
CCV: Bulge, had the same set up as IV

good game, shame there were no successors

More
06 Feb 2008 14:22 #2058 by Nazhuret
Wow, I didn't realize there were five.

One of the things I loved about it was that you could issue orders to your soldiers but they could totally ignore you if it were a ridiculous order. Or if it's an ok order but they were getting chopped to bits they sure as hell weren't going to jump up from behind the wall they were cowering under without you getting some covering fire ahead of their position and laying smoke.

It almost had the feel of being out of your control. If you let things slip you would pretty much only be able to watch as your men got shot to shit, horribly demoralized and otherwise become totally overrun.

If you set up well and issued carefully orchestrated orders it was like watching a beautifully bloody ballet.

I would highly recommend picking this up if you're a fan of small unit wargames. I think it translates the feel of hex and counters to the smaller screen very very well.

More
06 Feb 2008 14:43 #2063 by mikoyan
I've heard that stuff about the game and they intrigued me.

I wish there were a Naval equivalent though.

More
06 Feb 2008 16:30 #2076 by Nazhuret
mikoyan wrote:

Putting the basic mechanics of C.C. on top of a naval battle would, indeed, be a hell of a fun game to play. Massive fleet battles that you can play a "butterfly's wings" role in would be amazing.

More
06 Feb 2008 16:34 #2079 by mikoyan
Nazhuret wrote:

mikoyan wrote:

Putting the basic mechanics of C.C. on top of a naval battle would, indeed, be a hell of a fun game to play. Massive fleet battles that you can play a "butterfly's wings" role in would be amazing.

I think it would be more suited to an age of sail or earlier game though. Command control seemed to play a more important role back then. In fact, many of the ships acted like parts of a whole. They had a general idea of where to go but not a really good idea. I think it was the British that came up with the idea of simple signal flags.

I used to have a game called "Fleed Command" by Jane's. It sort of had this in that sometimes the planes you would direct to go somewhere ended up doing some odd things.

More
06 Feb 2008 20:27 - 06 Feb 2008 20:30 #2107 by vialiy
Harpoon would be a good choice of a CC-style naval game.

I absolutely love CC2 Market-Garden. The campaign is very original, with three fronts going on at the same time.

Matrix Games has just redone CC3 Russian Front, with better AI. Haven't seen any reviews yet.
Last edit: 06 Feb 2008 20:30 by vialiy.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds