October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

best mecha game for the PC?

More
07 Feb 2008 00:54 #2132 by Cranberries
I have a low end Emachine that I just bought my kids for $250, refurbed, and I'm looking for a good giant robot game that's old and cheap. I have read good things about mechwarrior: vengeance. Is there anything else that is good I should be keeping an eye on?

I wish there were some good turned based games we could play with me on my mac playing from work.

Thanks all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2008 14:01 #3293 by Hydian
Anything in the Mechwarrior line would be good. Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries is the pinacle of that series IMHO (I have it installed on this machine with alternate mech mods and still play it here and there.)

You also have the Mech Commander games for a more tactical experience.

I can't think of anything else that really compares to Mechwarrior.

More
28 Feb 2008 10:20 #3562 by Rliyen
If you're into RTS, I recommend Metal Fatigue. Granted, it's an older game, but should run on an Emachine. The game has great music, three levels of combat (underground, land, and upper stratosphere), three different factions, and customizable robot making goodness! Hell, the best part is looting the battlefield for pieces from enemy mechs and popping them on your own!!!

More
28 Feb 2008 11:52 - 28 Feb 2008 11:53 #3577 by Schweig!
Your Emachine should run a SNES emulator. I played Front Mission, which was only released in Japan; but there's an English translation file for running it on an emulator. The game is excellent. It was later rereleased for the DS I think.

For the translation and rom file contact me. The emulator of choice is ZSNES.
(Emulators are legal, roms semi-legal.)
Last edit: 28 Feb 2008 11:53 by Schweig!.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
28 Feb 2008 12:16 #3581 by Darilian
Another good game that you can usually find cheap is the Activision "Heavy Gear" or (even better!) "Heavy Gear II". REALLY good game- the 'Gears' in Heavy Gear aren't invincible monsters, but instead have to operate in combined arms...so things like mortars, rockets, etc are just as important as being fast and having a big gun. HGII in particular looks really sweet for an older game, and has a lot of really interesting missions.

Darilian

More
03 Mar 2008 01:51 #3719 by milgate
Sierra released Mission Force: Cyberstorm, and Cyberstorm 2 in the late 1990's (meaning, they'll run on older machines, but they might be difficult to find).

Both games feature tactical, turn=based mech combat with a campaign game, customizable mechs and pilots that improved with experience. The graphics aren't as good as MechCommander, but I prefer turn-based play to the real-time of MechCommander (although, if that's your thing, I think Cyberstorm 2 had a real-time option).

The mechs are known as "Hercs," and the game is set in Sierra's "EarthSiege" universe. Your opponents are the "Cybrids," a race of intelligent machines (If I remember my Earthsiege history right -- and it has been many, many years -- the Cybrids were created by humanity and, of course, eventually rebelled). Your pilots are called "Bioderms," genetically-engineered (i.e., vat-grown) to link with their Hercs.

In later missions, you can command up to 26 Hercs in a battle. This game is definitely worth looking for.

More
20 Mar 2008 09:03 #4292 by greeneggsnham
I'd agree with the suggestions of Missionforce: Cyberstorm and the Heavy Gear (esp. Heavy Gear II)series. Although Heavy Gear is largely a mech themed FPS, it is a great game. I need to go back and finish it sometime. I'd nix the suggestion of Cyberstorm 2; the first is a much more fun and better balanced game.

Shogo is another mech themed FPS, but I recal that is has some more adult themed elements, and may not be appropriate. It's been a long while since I played it, but you might want to look into it more first.

In keeping with the Mechwarrior theme, the Mech Commander games are free. More info on this link . I'd check the site but the linked site is blocked at work. If it's down I probably have this downloaded somewhere at home.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.314 seconds