October 09, 2023
2479 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Heroes of Might and Magic

More
14 Mar 2008 13:12 #4133 by Michael Barnes
I found a copy of the standalone TRIBES OF THE EAST expansion for HOMM 5 at Target for $5...I forgot how much I love those games. I think they're among what I'd call my favorite PC games of all time, up there with CIV and the like. Anybody interested, check out the clearance piles at Target, I've seen it at a couple of other stores at the same price. The nice thing is that if you, like me, don't care about the campaign storylines then you can just play HOMM 5 in its entirety on random or fan-created maps. And there's an editor. What a bargain.

So far, it's pretty awesome despite mediocre reviews...it's got the classic feel of HOMM3 (I never got to play 4 for some reason) but with a lot of glossy graphics. Same good old game play- wait around a week for monsters to reproduce, run around and pick stuff up, and then duke it out on a tactical battle thing that is pretty much a board game.

It's a damn shame that HOMM CCG was so fucking awful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2008 17:48 #4148 by SenorOcho
The CCG seemed like it had some really good ideas, but should have been a noncollectable game.

You didn't miss anything in 4, it was an absolutely terrible game. Did you ever try out the In the Wake of Gods fan-expansion to HoMM3? They took the stuff from HoMM4 that worked and put it into HoMM3.. its really funny because HoMM5 reminds me of that combination so much.

HoMM5 doesn't run on my computer very well, though. Bah.

More
14 Mar 2008 19:42 #4150 by colleen
I loved HOMM 4. The only complaint is that you can take the theif and get experience through stealth so quickly that you are unbeatable against anyone else with other starting characters. HOMM 3 was good too. I never played HOMM 5.

My name is Colleen and I'm a HOMM junkie. I've been sober now for 2 years.

More
17 Mar 2008 11:26 #4196 by Schweig!
I never played HOMM.

Once I was playing ye olde "Ogre Battle" on the SNES and someone said "You should check out Heroes, it looks like this but is way better".

So out of protest I never played it.

More
17 Mar 2008 13:25 #4204 by Thaadd
Replied by Thaadd on topic Re:Heroes of Might and Magic
I think years of my life have been sucked away by HOMM 3.

Years.

So. Bloody. Addictive.

More
17 Mar 2008 13:44 #4205 by SenorOcho
Hey Schweig! If you liked Ogre Battle on the SNES you should check out Soul Nomad & the World Eaters on PS2...

More
17 Mar 2008 13:55 #4208 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Re:Heroes of Might and Magic
Michael Barnes wrote:

I found a copy of the standalone TRIBES OF THE EAST expansion for HOMM 5 at Target for $5...I forgot how much I love those games. I think they're among what I'd call my favorite PC games of all time, up there with CIV and the like. Anybody interested, check out the clearance piles at Target, I've seen it at a couple of other stores at the same price. The nice thing is that if you, like me, don't care about the campaign storylines then you can just play HOMM 5 in its entirety on random or fan-created maps. And there's an editor. What a bargain.

So far, it's pretty awesome despite mediocre reviews...it's got the classic feel of HOMM3 (I never got to play 4 for some reason) but with a lot of glossy graphics. Same good old game play- wait around a week for monsters to reproduce, run around and pick stuff up, and then duke it out on a tactical battle thing that is pretty much a board game.

It's a damn shame that HOMM CCG was so fucking awful.

I also picked up Tribes of the East from Target for around $7 Thursday. Earlier last week, they also had HOMM5 up on clearance I hesitated on picking it up. So, when I went back to Target, it was gone. &$^$#^$^$&^@. So, I just bought TOTE and will probably play it sometime this week on my new PC.

I can also recommend Disciples Gold. It's similar to HOMM, and it's an anthology. It has Disciples II and the the expansion packs (Rise of the Elves, Guardians of Light, and Servants of the Dark). It's also horribly addictive.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds