October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2655 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Holy Shit I'm Drunk

More
19 Jun 2012 21:22 #128710 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Re: Holy Shit I'm Drunk
Again pissed after watching England beat Ukraine. Embassy were accomodating, as always. Next match might be tricky as wife arrives from Ukraine 24 hrs before the match with Italy (I think).

My football bluffing is now legendary. I can talk like a football pundit on the telly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2012 18:14 #128791 by Fallen
Replied by Fallen on topic Re: Holy Shit I'm Drunk
Fuck Dude, that win was completely soulless and lucky. The goal UKR scored was clearly offside so the non-goal issue is a non-issue, but I was expecting much more from ENG then that. Especially since I'm depending on ENG to destroy ITA.
With no Football tonight I think I may get a few stabs at finishing ME3.

More
20 Jun 2012 18:34 #128793 by ThirstyMan
Bluffer mode on

I think the England tactics were fine overall. A defensive first half to allow UKR to batter themselves up against the wall and exhaust themselves followed by a tactic change in 2nd half. If you play FM2012 you will be familiar with the tactic. The trouble is most fans believe that the team just decides tactics on the fly without understanding how integral the manager is on the strategic play of the match.

Agree with UKR offside its a goal/it isnt a goal kerfuffle. Payback for Lampard's similar goal against Germany 2 yrs ago in the World Cup.

Rooney's goal was good though

Bluffer mode off

PS there is football tonight I think but I've just had two root canals so I'm not going to struggle out for the games. Will continue the bluffing on Fri, Sat etc leading up to the Italy game on Sunday.

More
20 Jun 2012 19:10 - 20 Jun 2012 19:11 #128802 by Fallen
Christ. You do sound like one of those telli tossers. By souless & lucky, I mean boring, tactics or not it was a total snorefest, and since someone spoiled my FRA/SWE recording it was all I had left. Maybe my reaction to the game was residual contempt for the twit that fucked my shit up. This is why I hope ENG beats the snot out of ITA, it'll provide me some vicarious revenge.

Yeah, Rooney's goal was good. The dudes a bulldog in that box. I think he could serve up a header to a defender and both him & the ball would find the back of the net.

I was of the mind that you didn't like organized sport and you just tossed out a fact from WC 2010? No games tonight.

The first is Tomorrow. CZE vs POR. I'll be pulling for CZE in that one. Hopefully someone will wipe that stupid look off of Ronalda's face.

Fri is GER vs GRE. My number 2 is GER, so I'll be quietly pulling for them. But really, this game is pretty much a forgone.

Sat FRA vs ESP. France is my #1, but with the way they reversed into the final 8, I'm not going to hold my breath. Especially with Xavi, Iniesta, Pique, Casillas, Silva, Mata and Fabregas... ton of fucking firepower there. Add that to the shaky goaltending of France and things look grim indeed.

Sun, as you already know is ENG vs. ITA. I was planning on rooting for ENG, but now it's personal. I missed the first FRA game due to the move, the second because the rain delay postponing the game beyond the recording time, and finally because my friends ITA wife called to rub it in, but ended up accidentally spoiling it. Because she's Catholic, and prone to guilt inherently, I've left her to stew.
Sunday is going to be a blast. I already have the morning planned for my wee snot sprite and I to make posters and other pro ENG signs to send her while she watches the game. I’ll be sure to send them to her hubby as well as he’s game to ruin hers.
Last edit: 20 Jun 2012 19:11 by Fallen.

More
20 Jun 2012 19:38 #128807 by SuperflyPete
Manchester United. That is all.

Oh, and fuck futbol. Get with a man's game, wankers.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Fallen

More
20 Jun 2012 19:42 #128808 by ThirstyMan

Fallen wrote: I was of the mind that you didn't like organized sport and you just tossed out a fact from WC 2010?

I fucking HATE sport but I love drinking. I heard that quote about Lampard in the pub in the embassy so I regurgitated it (after checking the spelling).

Impressive huh?

What I did notice was all the Scottish and Irish guys in the pub rooting for Ukraine simply because they could not imagine ever rooting for England. It doesn't work the other way round though, all the English guys were rooting for Ireland the other day. Probably some bullshit colonial reason for it I'm sure.

My boss walked in while I was frantically trying to drink 2 cans of lager with a Bushmills chaser. She said 'Who are you supporting this evening?' (a reference to my Ukrainian wife). My response was the standard 'I don't even know who is playing, only here for the beer'. She was impressed not liking sport herself and there for the exact same reason.

More
20 Jun 2012 20:09 - 20 Jun 2012 20:10 #128815 by billyz
Replied by billyz on topic Re: Holy Shit I'm Drunk
Fri is GER vs GRE. My number 2 is GER, so I'll be quietly pulling for them. But really, this game is pretty much a forgone.

You are dead to me! Malaka!
Last edit: 20 Jun 2012 20:10 by billyz.

More
20 Jun 2012 21:04 #128816 by Fallen

billyz wrote: Fri is GER vs GRE. My number 2 is GER, so I'll be quietly pulling for them. But really, this game is pretty much a forgone.

You are dead to me! Malaka!

....I didn't say who it was forgone to... but you have confirmed that even the Greeks are nervous, and not about another election being called in a month. ;)

More
17 Nov 2012 11:08 - 17 Nov 2012 11:09 #137873 by ThirstyMan
OK, so last night the British Embassy put on a big 'do' to celebrate how fucking great it is to be British. $50 to get in but playing are two tribute bands, one for The Beatles and one for The Rolling Stones. Both flown from good ole blighty all the way to Kuwait for the event.

I checked out one of the bands before I went, they have a list of gigs on their website which list stuff like 'The Dog and Duck, Catford' or 'The Slug and Lettuce, 'insert shitty provincial town''. The last entry was British Embassy, Kuwait. Ha! Bet they thought they'd really made it!!

Got to the security checkpoint when they opened at 6.15pm. Bar opened about 6.45 so had to spend some time wandering around looking bored in a daze. Then the bar opened.

Some steady drinking of Celebration Ale and anything else I could throw down my neck. Flash forward four hours. Me and my entire department with associated wives and girlfriends all drunkenly screaming at the stage 'You can't always get what you want'. Holy Mother of God, what a fucking great night out. The Stones band were awesome with the singer being a dead ringer for Jagger. Haven't screamed so much for an entire two hours for absolutely ages.

Evryone was in such a good mood and there because we all wanted to get pissed and we all fucking love the Stones and Beatles. People were hugging the fuck out of total strangers, tears of joy falling down their cheeks, I kid you not.

Wife (Russian) loved the Beatles tribute band and danced like a dervish but not so much the Stones, as she had never even heard of them until she met me. Guess they weren't big in the USSR when she was growing up. Hence, she didn't know any of the lyrics and it can be a bit of an acquired taste.

Got totally trashed, drunk all the good beer and was just starting on some shitty cans of 1664 when time was called at 1230.

Sometimes its good to be an expat living abroad especially when you have an ambassador who is a die hard rock n roll fan and big drinker (note to repoman, don't join the diplomatic service). More power to their elbow.
Last edit: 17 Nov 2012 11:09 by ThirstyMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, MattFantastic, Gary Sax, Fallen, wadenels

More
17 Nov 2012 12:30 #137874 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: Holy Shit I'm Drunk
"Sometimes its good to be an expat living abroad especially when you have an ambassador who is a die hard rock n roll fan and big drinker (note to repoman, don't join the diplomatic service)."

Quite right, Andy. Quite right.

It is a shame though because I am well known for my "way with people". I'd last exactly two seconds as a diplomat.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds