October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

My non-vulgar perspective on GameSalute....

More
07 Dec 2012 06:33 #139060 by SaMoKo
No poors allowed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2012 13:47 - 07 Dec 2012 13:49 #139061 by Hatchling

SaMoKo wrote: Um, this isn't a hypothetical business idea facing a panel of internet experts. Snakes and Lattes is an actual business in Toronto. The place is thriving so much they bought out the store next to them to accommodate the people lining up for the board game cafe. Even with the expansion the place is packed. Oddly enough, this place didn't even sell games when they first opened. It was a cafe that just happened to be packed with a silly amount of designer and classic boardgames. The game sales came later because there was demand for it.

You don't need to bring your own games because they have a rather sizable library that you can just pluck from the wall and use. There's a $5 cover fee, which does rather well to keep the typical hobby gamer out (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). In just about every way, this seems to be the future of board game retail. The old business model has been less than successful, so something new came along and cleaned up.

I dropped by S&L yesterday for the first time in a while and was really surprised at how much it has grown. I remember when it first opened there was some debate on TABS (local gamer club) about whether the business model would be feasible. Kudos to them for doing every damn thing they can to get their name out to gamers and create some variety in what they can offer. They seem to have a presence at every con. I even saw a poster up at York University advertising a S&L game night in which all proceeds will go to the Cerebral Palsy Foundation. That's both shrewd and nice.

Before leaving the cafe, I let myself be talked into buying a copy of Cutthroat Caverns. Wrath of Ashardalon wouldn't fit in my bag.

BTW: SaMoKo, it'd be great to meet up for a game sometime! I may spam you if I organize something...
Last edit: 07 Dec 2012 13:49 by Hatchling.

More
07 Dec 2012 16:42 #139075 by moofrank

Hatchling wrote:

SaMoKo wrote:
I dropped by S&L yesterday for the first time in a while and was really surprised at how much it has grown. I remember when it first opened there was some debate on TABS (local gamer club) about whether the business model would be feasible. Kudos to them for doing every damn thing they can to get their name out to gamers and create some variety in what they can offer. They seem to have a presence at every con. I even saw a poster up at York University advertising a S&L game night in which all proceeds will go to the Cerebral Palsy Foundation. That's both shrewd and nice.

Good point. I spent some time talking to two of the guys at Gencon, and was STUNNED by the description. I would probably be there once or twice a week if it were an option, and end up saving some on game purchases.

There had been some discussion of such a thing in Atlanta, but under the guise of a private monthly clubhouse. That's a REALLY hard sell, and the startup and rent for commercial space are still a premium in the area--even with all of the sprawl of empty strip malls.

More
07 Dec 2012 16:45 #139076 by SuperflyPete

SaMoKo wrote: No poors allowed.

Yeah, you literally picked the WORST hobby, TSCOOK, for a broke ass. :)

More
07 Dec 2012 17:28 #139079 by SaMoKo

Hatchling wrote:

SaMoKo wrote: BTW: SaMoKo, it'd be great to meet up for a game sometime! I may spam you if I organize something...

I work weird hours, so usually I'm able to make it on a Monday or Tuesday. It's been a while since I've been to the Tuesday TABS meetup, but I can swing something for sure. Massive AT fest with Cosmic Encounter, BSG and tons of cider perhaps?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Hatchling

More
08 Dec 2012 01:52 #139102 by Schweig!

SuperflyTNT wrote:

SaMoKo wrote: No poors allowed.

Yeah, you literally picked the WORST hobby, TSCOOK, for a broke ass. :)

Golf could be worse. Or air racing.

More
08 Dec 2012 13:53 #139112 by Erik Twice

SuperflyTNT wrote: The problem lies in the fact that many game stores are were started by people with little business acumen, and are undercapitalized.

This. Every now and then a thread pops up in BGG about how they want to sell boardgames but not Magic because they don't like Magic.

You can change "Magic" to "free money" here.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds