October 09, 2023
2478 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

ThirstyMan Memorial Bartending Intervention

More
19 Feb 2013 21:37 #144676 by SaMoKo
I've come to a conclusion. Bad reviewers aren't killing this hobby and driving away new players. Hosts that don't know how to stock and work a bar are the primarily responsible. Many times, I've desperately rummaged through the host's stock only to find a five year old bottle of peppermint schnaps, vodka, and Jagermeister. This is simply unacceptable.

Please chug any spirit not on this list, or otherwise quarantine the bottle:

Light rum
Cognac
Hendrick's Gin
Bombay Sapphire Gin (or Plymouth)
Rye or Scotch
Bourbon (I carry Eli Craig. Deal with it.)
Citron vodka

This means you don't need regular vodka, tequila, or dark rum. Unless you're really into shitty martinis, margaritas or your grandmother's punch, I guess vOv

Place the following bottles under the base spirits:

Vermouth (sweet and dry)*
Disaronno
Cointreau
Chambord
Sav Blanc*

*Refrigerate anything under 25% unless you know me from an AA meeting.

Have a bar fridge, and stock it thusly:

Simple syrup
Lemons
Limes
Oranges
Maraschino cherries
Olives
A variety of juices (at least orange and cranberry)
A few bottles of Perrier

You really don't need a lot more than this to rival most neighborhood bars. Anything else is based on your personal preference, but keep it minimal. For instance, I carry the following extras:

St Germain (fuck it, this is an essential)
Apple schnapps
Pear vodka
Galliano
Creme de Cacao
Weed

With this setup in every gaming house, our hobby will flourish. Stop being one of 'those' people.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2013 21:59 #144682 by repoman
I got a bottle of Canadian Club rattling around in the basement left over from Dad's drinking days and a three pack of skunked Coors Light.

When you coming over?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, SaMoKo

More
19 Feb 2013 22:03 #144685 by OldHippy

repoman wrote: ...a three pack of skunked Coors Light.

Does it taste better skunked? I might be willing to give it another chance like that.

More
19 Feb 2013 22:06 #144687 by Egg Shen
All I need is some Kettle One/Grey Goose/Ciroc, some lime juice and a shitload of ice. Vodka Gimlets all night. You can't have a bar without straight Vodka...If it's got a flavor than it ain't vodka (at least that's what they told me when I was in Russia).

My guests usually quench their thirst on some micro brews...I'm usually the only one that goes for the hard shit. However, I'll gladly tend bar for anyone that is up for a cocktail or two...Trust me I don't fuck around when it comes to hosting anything.

More
19 Feb 2013 22:28 - 19 Feb 2013 22:31 #144691 by mikecl
I'm sorry but where's the Jameson's Irish Whisky? Your bar, sir, is woefully under stocked. Nor do I like flavored vodka martinis which is why I don't drink gin. It's just flavored vodka.

Jameson's with a beer chaser preferably Maudite. Two thumbs up for Egg Shen's recipe as well!
Last edit: 19 Feb 2013 22:31 by mikecl.

More
19 Feb 2013 22:41 #144692 by Michael Barnes
Nothing but the finest for my guests. I provide a pitcher of off-brand Mountain Dew mixed with Golden Grain. For those who might be driving, I offer 1 (one) can of Trader Joe's "Simpler Times" lager. Once all the nerds leave, I break out the Johnnie Walker Blue Label.

More
19 Feb 2013 22:42 #144693 by OldHippy
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikecl

More
19 Feb 2013 22:44 #144694 by Space Ghost

Michael Barnes wrote: Nothing but the finest for my guests. I provide a pitcher of off-brand Mountain Dew mixed with Golden Grain. For those who might be driving, I offer 1 (one) can of Trader Joe's "Simpler Times" lager. Once all the nerds leave, I break out the Johnnie Walker Blue Label.

I hope you are talking about Sam's Club Green Lightning.

In college, we lived off of Mountain and Bacardi 151.

More
19 Feb 2013 22:59 #144696 by Michael Barnes
Of course I am. How else would you make a trailer park margarita?

More
19 Feb 2013 23:48 #144699 by Schweig!

Michael Barnes wrote: Nothing but the finest for my guests. I provide a pitcher of off-brand Mountain Dew mixed with Golden Grain.

Are you related to the Honey Boo Boo child? She's from Georgia as well.

More
20 Feb 2013 00:09 #144701 by SuperflyPete
I prefer Tanqueray and Tonic, and if that's not available, Guinness, Newcastle, or Bass.

I only ever drink:
Don Julio Reposado, no exception
MacAllan Sherry Oak 15+
Johnnie Walker Black or Green (or better...lol)
Rasputin or Grey Goose (or Tito's Handmade)
Couvosier
Cointreau
Eagle Rare Bourbon or Jack Daniels
Jameson Irish (I was addicted to alcohol based on this alone)

The days of a gallon of Popov or 2 bottles of Mezcal in Mexico and wondering if I was going to make it out alive...they're long, long gone.

Now if I have a drink, I make it so expensive that I can't afford to do what I'd probably do if left alone with a company credit card and a bar.

More
20 Feb 2013 01:59 #144704 by Gary Sax
In all honesty, being able to begin to build a bar with my favorite top shelf stuff is one of the biggest pleasures of having a real job after so long as a grad student.

More
20 Feb 2013 03:15 #144705 by Not Sure
If you're going to call Hendrick's an essential, then you need to include cucumbers in the required extras. There is no substitute.

Also, don't overlook good beers, especially if you're still trying to pretend you're gaming instead of just mixing drinks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SaMoKo

More
20 Feb 2013 03:21 #144706 by SaMoKo
This is a cocktail bar, not a sipping bar dammit. Why would you ever use Jamesons over Rye for mixing? Goddamn. You keep a separate section of your bar for sipping whiskey, VSOP/XO cognac, scotch, good vodka, and high end tequila.

Vodka is an awful cocktail spirit, and the one telltale sign of an inexperienced bartender. Mixing with vodka is like using a flavorless spice when cooking. 90% of the time, citron vodka is the suitable replacement. Even a simple Caesar, Bloody Mary, or Highball can be improved with a variation. Oddly, the best vodkas for mixology are the ones with more "character", which make them flavored vodkas by default.

For the most popular cocktails, you have:

Citron - Wallbanger/Screwdriver
- Cosmopolitan
- Vodka gimlet
- Peach breeze
- Apple martini (or any fruit martini)

Gin - Caesar (serve with skewered pickle)
- Martini
- Gimlet

Cucumber Vodka - Vodka Highball
- Bloody Mary

Bourbon - Caesar (serve with BBQ sauce and horseradish)

You get the idea, though I've missed some. A good bar will only carry vodka for the circumstance when the guest specifically asks for it. A great bar will carry a good selection of flavored vodkas for that purpose, unless it's to be sipped neat.

More
20 Feb 2013 03:49 #144708 by SaMoKo

Not Sure wrote: If you're going to call Hendrick's an essential, then you need to include cucumbers in the required extras. There is no substitute.

Also, don't overlook good beers, especially if you're still trying to pretend you're gaming instead of just mixing drinks.

Welp, I knew I forgot something! Cucumbers were invented to go with Hendrick's. Beer is one thing, entertaining is another. Gotta have both.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds