October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2692 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Exhausted with LCG updates

More
02 May 2013 16:03 #151342 by bioball

dragonstout wrote: I don't think bioball is referring to fatigue with buying LCG updates, but just with SEEING them covered everywhere.

Yeah this is more what I'm talking about. Its not that I don't think all the games are not good game, its just that as San said its not a "big" announcement especially when FFG already previewed the entire set with the initial announcement.

I want more substantive communication. FFG is a big name so it shouldn't be too hard to get their designers to write some verbiage about past, present, and future games they've designed. I'm also surprise FFG hasn't harnessed the power of the internet and PDFs to offer more free downloads for older games. I thought the Summer League was great, so why not extend this to Elder Sign. Or hell even Talisman. Why the most current Cosmic Encounter information being posted on Facebook?

Most of the LCG pack updates sorta read like this:
"The X pack from X LCG will really liven up your faction's abilities. See how Y new ability can combine with the already awesome A, B, C cards that everyone plays from the old set to form exciting new possibilities. Contact your store now!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: dragonstout

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2013 17:31 #151347 by Shellhead

dragonstout wrote: I don't think bioball is referring to fatigue with buying LCG updates, but just with SEEING them covered everywhere. I agree with him. I check FFG's website every day hoping for a goddamn Cosmic Encounter expansion announcement, since they had previous been announced in January every year like clockwork, but no............

And San, they're not done with Talisman...not until they fill in the final corner board!

I guess that's one of those first world problems. Don't like seeing all those updates? Take a break from the internet, or visit more non-gamer sites or something. I'm surprised that nobody is fatigued by the rapid rollout of these expansions. A similar scheme by Alderac resulted in sufficient backlash that it wounded Legend of the Five Rings for a while, and killed both Legend of the Burning Sands and the Rage reboot.

More
02 May 2013 20:00 #151355 by phandec

Shellhead wrote:

dragonstout wrote: I don't think bioball is referring to fatigue with buying LCG updates, but just with SEEING them covered everywhere. I agree with him. I check FFG's website every day hoping for a goddamn Cosmic Encounter expansion announcement, since they had previous been announced in January every year like clockwork, but no............

And San, they're not done with Talisman...not until they fill in the final corner board!

I guess that's one of those first world problems. Don't like seeing all those updates? Take a break from the internet, or visit more non-gamer sites or something. I'm surprised that nobody is fatigued by the rapid rollout of these expansions. A similar scheme by Alderac resulted in sufficient backlash that it wounded Legend of the Five Rings for a while, and killed both Legend of the Burning Sands and the Rage reboot.

Heh, just wait until after the next pack for Netrunner comes out and there is a couple months before the next cycle gets started. Players will be foaming at the mouth waiting for new stuff. It's actually kind of ridiculous.

More
03 May 2013 04:28 #151368 by Dogmatix

Mad Dog wrote:

dragonstout wrote: I "thank you"ed before clicking the link. The link is not helpful.

There really needs to be a Fuck You option next to that.

Been asking for one for 3 years or so. It'd at least be more thematically-appropriate for the site....

More
03 May 2013 05:43 #151370 by dragonstout

Shellhead wrote:

I guess that's one of those first world problems.

Literally, literally, every complaint anyone has ever made, ever, on this site, except Uba's house burning down and Loter & others losing their jobs, are first world problems. It's a board game site.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
03 May 2013 07:29 #151376 by ThirstyMan

dragonstout wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

I guess that's one of those first world problems.

Literally, literally, every complaint anyone has ever made, ever, on this site, except Uba's house burning down and Loter & others losing their jobs, are first world problems. It's a board game site.

So all complaints about anything tangential, unless it's personal, are a waste of bandwidth??

It might be a boardgame site but we are not limited to discussing boardgames, if that's OK with you.

More
03 May 2013 12:51 #151384 by Legomancer
I like Netrunner a great deal, and I also like the Star Wars LCG, even though I'm mentally done with Star Wars. I got the first couple of expansions for both and already I'm feeling remorse. I look at the new cards and realize, "I will never, never, ever feel like fucking around with those cards and making new decks." I spent a LOT of time in the trenches of Magic, and it was some of the best fun I've had (pound for pound, Magic is the most fun I've ever had with any game) but now I am old and lazy and miserable and just not up for that kind of stuff anymore.

Part of the reason I got Star Wars was because the deckbuilding was a lot easier, and I still just don't want to mess with it. I just don't have the energy or focus anymore. So, sadly, I think these are headed to the trade pile.
The following user(s) said Thank You: waddball

More
03 May 2013 13:27 - 03 May 2013 13:29 #151386 by lj1983
wrong thread
Last edit: 03 May 2013 13:29 by lj1983.

More
03 May 2013 15:38 - 03 May 2013 15:42 #151392 by bioball
Most things on here qualify as "first world problems" because we argue about, with at times excessive passion, boardgames. Every question could be answered with, "Then don't play/buy/look/read about it". However, it is an enjoyable hobby for all of us and worthly of some commentary.

With that said, my complaint is that FFG has a huge boardgame catalouge and only 6 (which is about 3 too many) LCGs. Yet looking at the news feed you'd think this was an LCG, book, and miniature company that just got into boardgames. This can't be a good thing. I would have though the combination of the internet and "print-on-demand" would provide great opportunities to breath life into older games. Just look at how much staying power Arkham Horror has via Google: Trends
Last edit: 03 May 2013 15:42 by bioball.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, dragonstout

More
03 May 2013 16:11 #151396 by Shellhead
That's an interesting graph, bioball. What happened to Twilight Imperium in 2013? It looks like somebody finally published a TI killer or something. Which reminds me, I need to get over to the FFG event center one of these days to play TI3 again. They have at least one game every Saturday, but I haven't made the 2-mile drive for it in about two years now.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds