October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

How fans ruin things they love

More
05 Jun 2013 00:59 - 05 Jun 2013 00:59 #153489 by tscook

repoman wrote: I am always bemused when subject such as this come up.

First let me say, in regards to bicyclists, I don't give a shit what they wear or how much the spend on what they ride. I resent that a great majority of them feel that they need not obey the rules of the road and are entitled to do as they please in traffic. It endangers them and more importantly me. The stuff about the spandex and what not...well I just think they look rediculous.

You say that as though the dipshits in two tons of steel that also happen to greatly outnumber cyclists obey the rules of the road. I am going to take the lane whenever I need, I will signal clearly, and whoever is behind me will fucking deal with me going so ~slow~ at ~25mph until it is safe to go back on the shoulder.
Last edit: 05 Jun 2013 00:59 by tscook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2013 01:11 #153490 by Shellhead

dysjunct wrote: I was reading an article about a psychological study of happiness that measured the happiness gained from an experience vs that gained from acquiring something. The latter starts fading immediately, but the former lasts for months and months before your happiness starts resetting to your base level! So it's not even rational to acquire things or collections or whatever - go do stuff!

Unlike most of my friends and fellow gamers, I spend a fair amount of time making stuff involving my hobbies instead of passively consuming stuff. Like when I run an rpg, I spend time making map tokens and prepping adventures and creating visual aids or handouts with gimpshop. When I was younger and had more time, I would dozens of pages of additional rules for rpgs to fill in grey areas and draft complex scenarios and variants for my favorite boardgames. A lot of that extra content was of dubious value, but I enjoyed doing it even if it only slightly enhanced our games. I don't usually paint minis for games, but I sometimes have pimped out games with improved components and cheatsheets. But that probably means that I am just wasting less money and more time on the same kind of fandom. Well, at least I'm not writing fanfic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
05 Jun 2013 03:00 - 05 Jun 2013 03:08 #153492 by SuperflyPete
I identify with dirtbags, but I don't dress like one. I am not sure that spandex is a status symbol as much as a "I want to fit in with other spandexians" or some such drivel. Sort of like nutters at ballgames wearing all the jerseys and whatnot, talking about how "we beat them" as if the motherfuckers were on the field throwing passes and shit.

And Repo, from the perspective of one who actually is a gold refiner, the gold makes the dross, not the other way around. :)

Also, I am pretty fucking ripped. Neurontin and alcohol with a Meclazine kicker is a potent combination. Add sun, and you're ready for launch,
Last edit: 05 Jun 2013 03:08 by SuperflyPete.

More
05 Jun 2013 03:30 #153493 by tscook
If you're riding more than 25 miles or so you want to wear something that won't chafe the shit out of your junk. There, spandex explained.

More
05 Jun 2013 05:13 #153498 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Spandex pants are understandable. The tops, not so much.

More
05 Jun 2013 11:04 #153503 by Matt Thrower

Legomancer wrote: "Nerd culture" thus has become a strictly passive, consumption-based entity. There are no ideas in that world. No statements to be made except the tritest, most fittable on a t-shirt ones.

While there's a lot more interesting stuff in Legomancer's original post, the more I've thought about this aspect, the more it seems to me that it's a facet of modern life, not nerd-dom.

You often hear commentators bemoan the effect that 24-hour rolling information culture has had on attention spans and analysis. Everything is becoming reduced to soundbites and there's no time to do much except consume when the pressure is always on to go look at the next thing in the queue.

Viewed this way, nerd-dom is simply a microcosm of everyday society pushed to a slightly more extreme point.

More
05 Jun 2013 14:40 - 06 Jun 2013 03:58 #153511 by Hatchling
I disagree with complaints about cyclists who take up a full lane. I'm not a cyclists (I'm a die-hard pedestrian and public transit fundamentalist), but from what I've seen and heard from friends who are it's much safer that way because cars are less tempted to squeeze onto your lane and push you into the way of getting doored etc. Motorists get arrogant when they think the size of their vehicle is the measure of their 'right' to the road. It's far saner to base equal rights on the person not the shit they own (and no, it does not follow that carpooling entitles someone to run over a cyclist any more than a streetcar of 60 people is entitled to smash through said carpoolers when they are in the way) . I've never read in the news about cyclists who have killed or maimed motorists, but the reverse is sadly common. Cyclists who defer to motorists endanger themselves. Oh and cyclists who don't obey the laws -- especially those who ride on the sidewalks, or barrel through pedestrians who are crossing the street on a green light -- are as bad as the motorists who try to bully them off the road. I've been very tempted more than once to clothesline them when they do that.
Last edit: 06 Jun 2013 03:58 by Hatchling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, wice, mikecl, Erik Twice

More
05 Jun 2013 16:23 #153522 by Erik Twice
At least around here, cyclists should take up a full lane by law for the reasons Hastchling mentions.

More
07 Jun 2013 11:07 #153687 by Schweig!
I cycle to work every day (if it doesn't rain/snow too much) and am very happy about my current path of commute, which leads me mostly through low frequented roads - 2km through a very dozy residential area, 2km through the city park and 2km through the backstreets of a commercial area. This is my ride:

More
07 Jun 2013 11:33 #153689 by DukeofChutney
i scrapped my car last month and so am back to cycling as primary mode of transport. I need to buy a larger rucksack so i can get my board games around. I do have a pair of lycra shorts but i only use em when im cycling more than 10 miles which isn't that often.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds