October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Iranian Scientist Invents Time Machine

More
26 Jun 2013 16:07 - 26 Jun 2013 16:16 #155103 by ThirstyMan
Never let it be said that I am not on the ball with my finger on the pulse when it comes to useful inventions (cylon toaster, Dr Who hoover etc)

This guy says he has invented a time machine that can see into the future about 5-8 years. He's registered it with the, smart sounding, Iranian Centre for Strategic Inventions. It only cost him about $400 in parts and chewing gum. He says it doesn't exactly take you into the future, like the TARDIS, but rather tells you what is going to happen to you after you touch it.

Maybe he installs it in his pants and then I can 100% tell you what will happen after you touch it.

He says he is only really using it for telling folk the sex of their unborn child (50% chance of getting it right anyway) but potentially it's a bit of a money spinner for governments, apparently.

He says he's not going to release it to the market now, because he's afraid the bastard Chinese will produce a cheap knock off and flood the market. Ahhh...a bit of a financial wizkid huh?

I don't think he's going to do a kickstarter for it but you never know........

Here's the link I built a TARDIS, sort of
Last edit: 26 Jun 2013 16:16 by ThirstyMan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2013 17:58 #155122 by hotseatgames
So a government sees into the future and it tells them of a potential hazard.

They prepare for the hazard and thus avoid it.

What happened to the future?

More
26 Jun 2013 20:30 #155150 by ThirstyMan
Stop confusing everybody with your scientific jibba jabba. I for one, welcome the ability to see if Up Front ever gets a reprint.

What with North Korean scientists making the biological discovery of the century, about 6 months ago, by announcing they had discovered a Unicorn's nest, one wonders how these nations have enough time to make nuclear bombs.

More
26 Jun 2013 20:32 #155151 by SuperflyPete
This is like 5 month old news, mate.

More
26 Jun 2013 20:36 #155153 by Cranberries

SuperflyTNT wrote: This is like 5 month old news, mate.

Or is it?
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Sagrilarus

More
26 Jun 2013 20:42 #155154 by ThirstyMan

SuperflyTNT wrote: This is like 5 month old news, mate.

So what, I don't remember anyone alerting me about it 5 months ago. Seems like you dropped the ball there on such a momentous topic, Pete.

More
27 Jun 2013 11:43 #155203 by luckyb0y
This guy is not a scientist in any of the state institutes. He's a director of made up quack institute of which there are plenty in the US or UK. Not much different than homeopaths or creationists. News at 11 - idiots and attention seekers are everywhere.

More
27 Jun 2013 12:17 #155206 by ThirstyMan
How outrageous to even suggest that there are such things as 'quack' institutes and 'quack' scientists in Iran or the UK or US.

We all know homeopathy is Gods gift to the world and crosses all cultural divides. I love me a glass of water with a memory. Its short term memory is probably better than mine!

I assume you wouldn't even think of accusing Dr Who of being a 'quack' scientist because he would fuck your shit up, Dalek style.

More
27 Jun 2013 12:47 #155208 by SuperflyPete

luckyb0y wrote: Not much different than homeopaths or creationists.

"Homeopathic" eastern medicine such as accupuncture has been around long before western medicine, and in many cases, is effective. Cures for cancer? Not so much.

There's room for creation and evolution, too. Until someone can prove to me where a point of infinite density and heat just appeared from, that singularity that exploded into what we know to be the universe, then I'm going to go with "And He said, let there be light".

More
27 Jun 2013 12:57 #155209 by SuperflyPete

ThirstyMan wrote: He's registered it with the, smart sounding, Iranian Centre for Strategic Inventions. It only cost him about $400 in parts and chewing gum. ..

Here's the link I built a TARDIS, sort of

Yeah, with all that sand out there, making a REALLY curved piece of glass is probably cheap. I knew this chick named Lisa whose glasses were so thick when I tried them on I immediately saw the room as it would be the following week.

More
27 Jun 2013 15:32 #155236 by ThirstyMan
In controlled, double blind, testing homeopathy scores are no better than random. Like that Mitchell and Webb sketch, good if you're feeling a bit run down and you want to spend unnecessary money, anything else...forget it.

Acupuncture scores no better, especially as they developed a technique to do acupuncture with fake needles so that a double blind test could be worked out (patients don't know if they are getting real needles or fake ones that don't puncture the skin).

Superstition is also thousands of years old but you don't hear so many people saying we need to take that on board because the Chinese/Indians/Europeans believed in it and it served them well.

Oh wait, yeah you do, it's called religion.

More
27 Jun 2013 15:35 #155237 by SuperflyPete
May you be found guilty of heresy and have your sack cut off, Kuwaiti boy.

I may just have to drop a dime on you, you lout!

More
27 Jun 2013 19:04 #155269 by QPCloudy
I've known a out this since next month.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
27 Jun 2013 20:17 #155284 by luckyb0y

SuperflyTNT wrote:

luckyb0y wrote: Not much different than homeopaths or creationists.

"Homeopathic" eastern medicine such as accupuncture has been around long before western medicine, and in many cases, is effective. Cures for cancer? Not so much.

There's room for creation and evolution, too. Until someone can prove to me where a point of infinite density and heat just appeared from, that singularity that exploded into what we know to be the universe, then I'm going to go with "And He said, let there be light".

By homeopathy I mean exactly that and not all alternative medicine. Water memory and all that bollocks.

Creationism as seen in the US is not about reconciling science and religion. It's about taking the bible literally. It's about pretending that a banana has the shape it has because god wanted it to perfectly fit our hands and not because it evolved that way. It is perfectly reasonable to believe in god and evolution. Creationism is not about that though.

Anyway I just wanted to point out that no one bats an eyelid at the loons around here but if it's Iran or some other place we're not supposed to like then press jumps on it like a vulture and we are supposed to point and laugh at the stupid darkies. Disgusting racism is what it is.

More
27 Jun 2013 21:49 #155301 by ThirstyMan
I don't think of it that way at all. I point and laugh at stupid people the world over and I don't give a shit where they come from.

It just so happens I live here and there are plenty of people here to laugh at including quite a few deluded Americans/British.

It might be racism from your perspective but exposing these assholes be they creationists, homeopathists (is that a word?) or time travel inventors is the duty of all rational people otherwise we all slide into the mud of superstition with everyone else and we have only ourselves to blame. Don't be passive, oppose this shit and stop the clock being turned back 1000 years.

People are happy to use iPads without knowing how the fuck they work but, anyone still on the sidelines about the importance of challenging this shit, that is disprovable science and not magic. That's why we dumped magic because it's BULLSHIT.

For many people, it doesn't bother them what others believe, but homeopathy KILLS people when they come off their meds. It is snake oil charlatanism at its worst justified by woo woo science. Giving false hope to seriously ill people should be a criminal offence. It isn't fucking entertainment it's fraud. Jail these motherfuckers or at least stop them making unprovable claims and ripping people off.

Rant mode off.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds