October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2699 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Iranian Scientist Invents Time Machine

More
27 Jun 2013 15:32 #155236 by ThirstyMan
In controlled, double blind, testing homeopathy scores are no better than random. Like that Mitchell and Webb sketch, good if you're feeling a bit run down and you want to spend unnecessary money, anything else...forget it.

Acupuncture scores no better, especially as they developed a technique to do acupuncture with fake needles so that a double blind test could be worked out (patients don't know if they are getting real needles or fake ones that don't puncture the skin).

Superstition is also thousands of years old but you don't hear so many people saying we need to take that on board because the Chinese/Indians/Europeans believed in it and it served them well.

Oh wait, yeah you do, it's called religion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2013 15:35 #155237 by SuperflyPete
May you be found guilty of heresy and have your sack cut off, Kuwaiti boy.

I may just have to drop a dime on you, you lout!

More
27 Jun 2013 19:04 #155269 by QPCloudy
I've known a out this since next month.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
27 Jun 2013 20:17 #155284 by luckyb0y

SuperflyTNT wrote:

luckyb0y wrote: Not much different than homeopaths or creationists.

"Homeopathic" eastern medicine such as accupuncture has been around long before western medicine, and in many cases, is effective. Cures for cancer? Not so much.

There's room for creation and evolution, too. Until someone can prove to me where a point of infinite density and heat just appeared from, that singularity that exploded into what we know to be the universe, then I'm going to go with "And He said, let there be light".

By homeopathy I mean exactly that and not all alternative medicine. Water memory and all that bollocks.

Creationism as seen in the US is not about reconciling science and religion. It's about taking the bible literally. It's about pretending that a banana has the shape it has because god wanted it to perfectly fit our hands and not because it evolved that way. It is perfectly reasonable to believe in god and evolution. Creationism is not about that though.

Anyway I just wanted to point out that no one bats an eyelid at the loons around here but if it's Iran or some other place we're not supposed to like then press jumps on it like a vulture and we are supposed to point and laugh at the stupid darkies. Disgusting racism is what it is.

More
27 Jun 2013 21:49 #155301 by ThirstyMan
I don't think of it that way at all. I point and laugh at stupid people the world over and I don't give a shit where they come from.

It just so happens I live here and there are plenty of people here to laugh at including quite a few deluded Americans/British.

It might be racism from your perspective but exposing these assholes be they creationists, homeopathists (is that a word?) or time travel inventors is the duty of all rational people otherwise we all slide into the mud of superstition with everyone else and we have only ourselves to blame. Don't be passive, oppose this shit and stop the clock being turned back 1000 years.

People are happy to use iPads without knowing how the fuck they work but, anyone still on the sidelines about the importance of challenging this shit, that is disprovable science and not magic. That's why we dumped magic because it's BULLSHIT.

For many people, it doesn't bother them what others believe, but homeopathy KILLS people when they come off their meds. It is snake oil charlatanism at its worst justified by woo woo science. Giving false hope to seriously ill people should be a criminal offence. It isn't fucking entertainment it's fraud. Jail these motherfuckers or at least stop them making unprovable claims and ripping people off.

Rant mode off.

More
27 Jun 2013 21:53 #155303 by SuperflyPete
Trust me, what I did to the wife a week and a half ago was MAGICAL. She said so.

More
27 Jun 2013 22:12 #155308 by luckyb0y
A week and a half ago and you are still boasting about it? She must be way bored by now. Go take care of your wife instead of mingling with no life nerds. (just in case ;))

Look lads I'm not accusing you of racism. It's the papers that run the story before checking the facts first cause it's right up their alley. I'm right there with you on exposing bullshit like that. I never thought so many people take homeopathy seriously. I used to think if you fall for it, well then tough shit - serves you right for being an idiot. Then again I have a scientific background that most people don't so how can they tell the difference? On the other hand snake oil salesmen have been around since dawn of time so I thought we would learn by now.

I don't claim that all alternative medicine is bullshit. There are plenty of herbal medicines that work and we still don't know how. But I'm sure all that can be explained by hard science.Unfortunately homeopathy definitely doesn't make any sense according to what we know about physics and chemistry.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds