October 09, 2023
2457 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

It's the silly season for news........

More
10 Jul 2013 15:33 #156257 by ThirstyMan
Here in TKWIL reports of witchcraft and strange things are afoot.......

Two unidentified young men were arrested for practicing black magic and exorcism, reports Al-Watan Arabic daily. According to security sources, a frightened Kuwaiti citizen sought help from police officers who were patrolling in the suburbs of Nahda area and informed them about two unknown individuals in his home chanting strange phrases. He revealed that he was away from his home for one year. Securitymen caught the suspects red-handed in the act of uttering strange chants and using witchcraft tools. They were referred to the concerned authorities for necessary legal action against them.

He was away from his home for a year and found an exorcism taking place in his home. WTF!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2013 18:20 - 10 Jul 2013 18:20 #156296 by metalface13
Oh ... I thought this was going to be about soccer transfer news ...

Still, that's weird.

On a weird soccer news story note, did you hear about the ref in Brazil who was beheaded by fans after he stabbed and killed a player?
Last edit: 10 Jul 2013 18:20 by metalface13.

More
10 Jul 2013 22:13 - 10 Jul 2013 22:15 #156319 by Sevej
Yeah I read the Brazil one. Indonesian people are quick to anger (and lots of weird news here, trust me) but man, those Brazillians are brutal.

EDIT: You forgot the stoning part. Horrible way to die.
Last edit: 10 Jul 2013 22:15 by Sevej.

More
10 Jul 2013 23:20 #156328 by Black Barney
i made the mistake of watching the autopsy on that brazilian quartered and beheaded official. And then less than a week later, some big musician is shot and killed while performing at a concert. You stay classy, Brasil! How many times has the U.S. said they are happy to take over the World Cup if things go south? Were there lots of applications for the official referee job that suddenly opened up?

Not to hijack the thread but speaking of silly news, today TWO different newspapers in my city ran a story in the entertainment section. It was about Kristen Stewart. The story was that her car was vandalized in a parking lot and someone wrote I LOVE ROB on the roof of her convertible. Here's the thing tho: They wrote it from the dirt that had accumulated on the roof. So no spraypoint, no key scratching, no damage, no vandalism.

So this is ridiculous on so many levels:
1) Why is this a story? How is this news?? Its not even vandalism. If it was, it would BARELY even make the police blotter in the community digest
2) How have two different newspapers in my city BOTH paid to pick up this story from the associated press?

I just can't believe the news.

A few days ago, this petrol cargo train frickin' derailed a-la-Super8 right downtown in a local small town. The fuel explodes and basically Dresdens the city to rubble. So far only 13 bodies have been found but 40 people that were attending some small event at the local MusiCafe are all missing. So it's a pretty big event not just for our province, but for the entire continent as well. The day after, all newspapers run this on the front page. The next day, one newspaper runs that 8 more bodies have been found and 40 people are missing, police are investigating this like a crimescene with 60 investigators present. The other newspaper? It runs a front page story of why certain parts of the city are hotter than others with a huge picture of a guy squatting touching fake grass with one hand and real grass with the other. No mention of the national tragegy. It has not even been 48 hours.

wtf?

I can understand CNN not running the story as a header 48 hours later cuz they are on a 20-120 minute newscycle. But a newspaper is on a 24hour newscycle and should still be reporting huge events that JUST HAPPENED. I remmeber when this happened very quickly after Hurricane Katrina and the devastation was getting worse and worse but many news outlets weren't covering it anymore (I remember some offensive term like 'Katrina fatigue') but these were national news outlets not running this major event that was still affecting all those people.

I dunno, I really hate the news.

More
11 Jul 2013 01:03 #156336 by Sevej
Random news from what probably the biggest Indonesian news website:

6th grade elementary kids are to learn about morale from stories in Bahasa book. Problem is, it's kind of adult stories. "From the most despised places in the world, the shady stalls where she peddled her body... He gulped seeing the beautiful woman. Then the event that stripped her off her virginity happened, and also planted a baby in her womb..." "Be passionate my man. I want to fulfill your wish. The man smiled widely. He offered the women a glass of drink which was immediately drunk in one motion. They are drowned in hugs and kisses" Very rough and literal translation, but there you have it.

More
11 Jul 2013 08:34 #156340 by Schweig!

Black Barney wrote: I dunno, I really hate the news.

Then stop reading them.

I did years ago and have yet to regret that decision.

For example, I heard about the San Francisco plane crash because some people were talking about it during lunch.

But you should read literature or something else instead, otherwise your writing skills will deteriorate, along with your grasp of grammar and we both don't want that to happen.

More
11 Jul 2013 08:38 #156341 by Schweig!

Sevej wrote: Random news from what probably the biggest Indonesian news website:

6th grade elementary kids are to learn about morale from stories in Bahasa book. Problem is, it's kind of adult stories. "From the most despised places in the world, the shady stalls where she peddled her body... He gulped seeing the beautiful woman. Then the event that stripped her off her virginity happened, and also planted a baby in her womb..." "Be passionate my man. I want to fulfill your wish. The man smiled widely. He offered the women a glass of drink which was immediately drunk in one motion. They are drowned in hugs and kisses" Very rough and literal translation, but there you have it.

Everybody knows tales of horror are the best way to educate children, e.g. Old Testament, Grimms' Fairy Tales.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds