October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Kickstarter: A Cautionary Tale (Doom/Atlantic City)

More
26 Jul 2013 17:06 #157202 by TheDukester

SuperflyTNT wrote: This is why I posted it, as a CAUTIONARY TALE.

Agreeing to give strangers money for any unfinished product requires, by definition, a certain willingness to abandon caution.

You're not exactly breaking any new ground here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2013 17:47 #157208 by wadenels

TheDukester wrote: Agreeing to give strangers money for any unfinished product requires, by definition, a certain willingness to abandon caution.

STOP trying to CONFUSE us with the FACTS!

More
26 Jul 2013 17:47 - 26 Jul 2013 17:49 #157209 by Schweig!

TheDukester wrote: Agreeing to give strangers money for any unfinished product requires, by definition, a certain willingness to abandon caution.

Your fancy words are not going to bring me MY MONEY BACK!!! I paid $2000 to meet this guy at a sausage restaurant in Warsaw and pick up my personal pre-release copy of the game. This was EXCLUDING TRAVEL EXPENSES which I also already paid for.
Last edit: 26 Jul 2013 17:49 by Schweig!.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Rliyen, Turek, Sagrilarus, san il defanso, PavingMantis, wadenels

More
26 Jul 2013 17:57 #157210 by SuperflyPete

TheDukester wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote: This is why I posted it, as a CAUTIONARY TALE.

Agreeing to give strangers money for any unfinished product requires, by definition, a certain willingness to abandon caution.

You know those "Only You Can Prevent Forest Fires" PSAs? And those "This Is Your Brain On Drugs?" PSAs?

They remind you about things you already know. This is what my post was about.

More
27 Jul 2013 21:30 #157258 by daveroswell

Schweig! wrote:

Your fancy words are not going to bring me MY MONEY BACK!!! I paid $2000 to meet this guy at a sausage restaurant in Warsaw and pick up my personal pre-release copy of the game. This was EXCLUDING TRAVEL EXPENSES which I also already paid for.

Well, how good was the sausage?
The following user(s) said Thank You: PavingMantis

More
28 Jul 2013 05:30 #157267 by Ochobee

bfkiller wrote: I see this claim quite often, but are there any actual examples of (good) games that simply wouldn't exist if not for crowd-funding? Some pimped out pieces and extravagent miniatures have come out thanks to Kickstarter, sure, but I'm pretty sure games like Alien Frontiers, Zombicide, and Police Precinct would have found publishers sooner or later anyways.

Tammany Hall.

It would still exist, but not in any easily attainable quantity. I think the second print run was only 500? The designer himself admitted it would have never been republished had it not been for the kickstarter, which also had some issues itself near the end with meeting deadline and getting out to all of its backers.

I think Agents of SMERSH would also be a game that would have had trouble finding a publisher, and I'm pretty happy with my copy of that game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, SuperflyPete

More
30 Jul 2013 16:18 #157398 by Shellhead
Another risk with Kickstarter is that the game may develop into something you don't want anymore, after they have taken your pledge. Look at this hideous board for A Study in Emerald:

www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1727698/a-st...merald?size=original

That right there would be a dealbreaker for me, but there was nothing of the sort posted on the Kickstarter page.

More
30 Jul 2013 16:29 #157401 by Legomancer
There are some decent games that we have Kickstarter to thank for, but even so, when someone says, "Without Kickstarter, this game wouldn't exist" my response is, "I'm okay with that." There's no shortage of games. I have lots of them and there are lots more I don't have. If they suddenly stopped making boardgames tomorrow I think we'd all be fine. Honestly, these days, telling me, "If this happens there will be fewer boardgames!" makes me think, "That sounds like a good start."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, bfkiller, Msample, san il defanso, wadenels, eekamouse, Bull Nakano

More
31 Jul 2013 19:27 #157495 by Grudunza
I guess that Cryptozoic is going to produce the game now, out of pocket, to get the copies to the Kickstarter donors. Pretty generous.

More
31 Jul 2013 22:16 #157508 by bioball

Grudunza wrote: I guess that Cryptozoic is going to produce the game now, out of pocket, to get the copies to the Kickstarter donors. Pretty generous.

To paraphrase one Mr. Candy, Doom/Atlantic City you had my curiosity. But now you have my attention.

Since this will be sold in stores, I'll be truly interested if this game was really worth all this. It seems like a big deal of another company to take over its production and give away free copies so they much think its a good thing.

But how clever can a Monopoly-clone be especially one that has a Cthulhu theme (and I love the Mythos setting in general)?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.601 seconds