October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2662 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

FFG Games Center

More
02 Nov 2013 00:42 #164268 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re: FFG Games Center
I just got back from the FFG grand opening. It was a success. There were at least 300 people there, and at least 50 of them were in the cafeteria style food line. I was stunned to realize how much FFG had expanded from their original space when I worked there 10 years ago. The only other business left in those two long buildings is a small auto parts store on the corner. Everything else is FFG, apparently mostly warehouse space. The Event Center takes up what used to be the entire business location when I worked there, converting both offices and warehouse to retail and two vast gaming areas. There were plenty of tables and chairs. 3/4 of the people there were gaming, and the rest were either shopping or talking, but not due to lack of table space. And there is also a large gaming library, covering a big section of wall with grand bookcases stacked up with games ready to play.

However, there were a couple of negatives. Even the significantly larger parking lot wasn't enough for this event, and might not be enough for the World Championship event next weekend. The Grand Opening started at 5 PM, and when I showed up at 6:15, there weren't many spaces left. When I left an hour later, there were no spaces left and four cars circling around in vain. However, there should be plenty of parking for normal days at the event center. The other minor quibble is the lack of windows. They did add windows to the site, but the previous event center had big windows and a view from the edge of a cliff. These new windows look out on the parking lot or a boring street. One of the two large gaming rooms is entirely windowless, though they will probably only use that room when there are big events. Still, all in all, this is a fine place for gaming.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Jackwraith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2013 02:09 #164270 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Re: FFG Games Center
I was there tonight too. Pretty impressed. The windows were nice to have, but that's about the only thing I'll miss.

Parking aside, I think their checkout situation might be an oversight as well. There are two checkout terminals that are for food, beer, and games. Tonight the food line was so long that we didn't buy a game that we otherwise probably would have left with. That probably won't be a common problem (overwhelming opening night), but it would be nice if there was a separate checkout spot for drinks and/or games.

Food was pretty good. Two sandwiches, a basket of fries, and two beers was just over $31 which isn't a steal, but the convenience was nice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
02 Nov 2013 02:27 #164273 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: FFG Games Center

wadenels wrote:
Food was pretty good. Two sandwiches, a basket of fries, and two beers was just over $31 which isn't a steal, but the convenience was nice.

Yikes. Don't bring the kids.

S.

More
02 Nov 2013 02:38 #164274 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Re: FFG Games Center

wadenels wrote:

So you paid the chef's salary for the night.

More
02 Nov 2013 12:53 #164281 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Re: FFG Games Center
Burger was $6, fries $2.50. Other sandwich was around $5 or $6 too I believe. Beers were $7/pint. Stick to water and you're fine.

More
02 Nov 2013 13:50 - 02 Nov 2013 13:54 #164282 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: FFG Games Center
Stick to playing in my kitchen and I'm fine. I eat cheaper at Oriole games.

And that's the issue I'm seeing. At those prices you're attracting guys each paying their own way, no families. The crowd is going to have plenty of assholes in it. With beer available.

S.
Last edit: 02 Nov 2013 13:54 by Sagrilarus.

More
02 Nov 2013 13:54 #164283 by Shellhead
The location is going to be good for the World Championship thing next weekend. Within a three block radius, there is a Radisson, a Days Inn, a Motel 6, and a Super 8. The Radisson is nice but $169 per night. The other three places are cheap, and also magnets for crime. In general, Roseville is a very nice middle class suburb with an alert police force, but the Motel 6 and Super 8 are right next to each other, so the limited amount of crime tends to end up concentrated right there. But if you're just looking for a cheap place to sleep in between rounds in a card tournament, those places are okay.

More
02 Nov 2013 14:45 #164284 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re: FFG Games Center

Sagrilarus wrote: Stick to playing in my kitchen and I'm fine. I eat cheaper at Oriole games.

And that's the issue I'm seeing. At those prices you're attracting guys each paying their own way, no families. The crowd is going to have plenty of assholes in it. With beer available.

S.

I disagree. I took The Spawn and a couple of her friends to McDonalds after rehearsal the other day, and the meals were over $8 each, which, from what has been posted, is about the cost of a meal here. The kids aren't going to be drinking beer, and $7 a pint discourages over indulgence by the adults.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

More
02 Nov 2013 21:17 #164290 by Shellhead
Some pictures that I took today, to help you get a feel for the epic scope of the new setup.

When I found a parking space last night, it was at the far end of the parking lot from the Fantasy Flight Event Center. As I got out of my car, I briefly worried that parking right in front of some other business might be an issue. Then I looked up and saw the picture from the cover of Arkham Horror and knew that I was in the right place:

This is the view from the far corner of the parking lot to the front entrance of the Event Center. FFG occupies that entire long white building, as well as most of the corresponding building across the parking lot. Most of that space is being used as warehouse space. Lots of cars in the lot, even though the grand opening was last night.

And there's the front entrance, with the unimpressive windows:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron, Jackwraith

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds