October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

New Years Gaming Resolutions 2014

More
31 Dec 2014 03:58 - 31 Dec 2014 04:00 #193684 by Gary Sax

Sagrilarus wrote: The man in the Texas desert is asking why you can't spray paint in the winter.

Sometimes, you read something you wrote a year ago and it doesn't look so smart.
Last edit: 31 Dec 2014 04:00 by Gary Sax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Dec 2014 04:41 - 31 Dec 2014 04:50 #193686 by JMcL63
I've got a serious ASL itch to scratch. I really like Combat Commander but I've just got to have me some tanks. There are some alternatives I could use as filler- original Squad Leader, Conflict of Heroes, Band of Heroes maybe, but ultimately: if I'm going for tanks and guns, it has to be ASL.

Also Triumph of Chaos:
www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15826/triumph-chaos
My neighbour is jonesing to play this Russian Civl War CDG. I guess I'll need to digest the Triumph of Chaos Comrade's Guide
clashofarms.com/chaosguide.html
before I feel ready to tackle ToC's cantankerous rulebook at the table.
Last edit: 31 Dec 2014 04:50 by JMcL63.

More
31 Dec 2014 04:52 #193687 by jur
I did reasonably well. Got a lot of work done on The Book, although not as much as I'd like. I bought only one game (outside of Essen), and played 10 games out of my collection that I hadn't played before. I did more blogging than I set myself. I've read close to 150 books and articles, although not all from cover to cover. However, I hardly got rid of any games and miniatures, and although I pruned my book shelves, those books aren't all gone yet. It was much easier not to buy games than not to buy books. I still bought quite a few books that were not about The Book. But overall not bad.

More
31 Dec 2014 05:32 #193688 by bomber

JMcL63 wrote: I've got a serious ASL itch to scratch. I really like Combat Commander but I've just got to have me some tanks. There are some alternatives I could use as filler- original Squad Leader, Conflict of Heroes, Band of Heroes maybe, but ultimately: if I'm going for tanks and guns, it has to be ASL.

Also Triumph of Chaos:
My neighbour is jonesing to play this Russian Civl War CDG. I guess I'll need to digest the Triumph of Chaos Comrade's Guide

what did you make of the new version of Panzer, or Fighting Formations for that matter?
The following user(s) said Thank You: JMcL63

More
31 Dec 2014 06:12 #193691 by ThirstyMan

JMcL63 wrote: Also Triumph of Chaos:

Oh yes that is a bitch to learn (much harder than ASL, IMO).

I got so fed up with jumping through two rulebooks, I made my own summary of play. PM me your email address and I'll send it to you. It is still the greatest CDG game for pure atmosphere. There's these wildly swinging military punches that suddenly don't connect so you trip over and the enemy stomps on your hands. Absolutely great fun. Comrades Guide isn't really necessary.

More
31 Dec 2014 07:39 #193693 by JMcL63

ldsdbomber wrote:

JMcL63 wrote: I've got a serious ASL itch to scratch. I really like Combat Commander but I've just got to have me some tanks. There are some alternatives I could use as filler- original Squad Leader, Conflict of Heroes, Band of Heroes maybe, but ultimately: if I'm going for tanks and guns, it has to be ASL.

Also Triumph of Chaos:

what did you make of the new version of Panzer, or Fighting Formations for that matter?

Haven't played Panzer so I can't really comment on it except to say that I prefer ASL's granularites. I don't need shot geometry with AT hits- calibre, range and location are quite enough; and ASL's basic infantry fire and movement system is just what I want at the core of a squad-scale, battalion-level wargame with tanks.

Fighting Formations? Chad Jensen, hot designer of hit game Combat Commander does tanks? What's not to like? Hot sweaty expectations. 2011's major disappointment I'm afraid. FF's a good game that I want to keep and play, it's just that when it comes to adding tanks and guns to infantry combat it leaves me hankering after ASL. When it comes to platoon-scale, regimental-level operations FF leaves me waiting for a card-driven C3i.

More
31 Dec 2014 08:07 #193694 by JMcL63

ThirstyMan wrote:

JMcL63 wrote: Also Triumph of Chaos:

Oh yes that is a bitch to learn (much harder than ASL, IMO).

I got so fed up with jumping through two rulebooks, I made my own summary of play. PM me your email address and I'll send it to you. It is still the greatest CDG game for pure atmosphere. There's these wildly swinging military punches that suddenly don't connect so you trip over and the enemy stomps on your hands. Absolutely great fun. Comrades Guide isn't really necessary.

Much harder than ASL is ToC, yes. I'd played Labyrinth and Twilight Struggle before taking a look at ToC- I thought I'd be able to grok it. Instead I just flat bounced off. My set sits pristine in the box, posing as another white elephant in my game collection.

Grateful to take you up on your offer ThirstyMan. A CDG is the ideal format to try and get at the politics which were at least as important as the combat in the Russian Civil War, and the Russian Civil War is an ideal subject featuring as it does factional and national politics, the popular enthusiasms of mass battles of ideas, and ruthless bloody violence all to be integrated seamlessly into 1 deck (or is the Political deck separate?- I can't remember).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
31 Dec 2014 09:57 #193704 by Gary Sax
Separate political phase and deck.

Hardest to learn game I own.

More
31 Dec 2014 10:48 #193709 by Shellhead

Shellhead wrote: My ambitious resolutions:

1. Paint the Spartacus figures.

2. Play more Spartacus. Great game that isn't getting enough play.

3. Spend some time at the new FFG Event Center, to meet up with more gamers. My gaming friends seem to be getting too busy with other stuff to play board games anymore.

4. Finish painting the Space Hulk figures. This will probably never happen, but it's good to have goals.

1. Maybe in 2015.

2. Played 3 games of Spartacus in 2014. Would have liked to have played it more.

3. Went to the FFG Event Center a few times in 2014, but ended only playing games there once. Four-player Twilight Imperium with some fan-created races in the mix, plus some utterly forgettable light euro afterwards.

4. Maybe in 2016.

More
31 Dec 2014 12:09 #193714 by bomber

Gary Sax wrote: Sometimes, you read something you wrote a year ago and it doesn't look so smart.

LOL
some of us read things we are writing in real time and it still doesn't look so smart. but we post that shit anyway :)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds