October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

New Years Gaming Resolutions 2014

More
01 Jan 2014 15:23 - 02 Jan 2014 10:25 #168891 by wkover
Games I want to play: Ogre, Guns of Gettysburg (yeah, right), Strike of the Eagle, the last two Quarriors expansions, Guelphs and Ghibellines, Wilderness War, and one of the FAB Games. (Everything but Ogre and GoG is a leftover from my 2013 list.)

Games I want to keep playing: Fading Glory, No Retreat, Marvel Legendary (including expansions), Napoleon 4th edition, Elder Sign, Eldritch Horror, Age of Steam, Descent 2nd edition, Pathfinder, Pacific Victory, and Age of Industry.

A game that I may never play again, and I'm not sure that I care: Netrunner. The family isn't interested, and I'd rather play Fading Glory or a block game with friends.
Last edit: 02 Jan 2014 10:25 by wkover.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jan 2014 20:12 #168895 by Sevej
Not buying more board game base games. Expansions only.

God help me with Battlelore 2nd Edition and Eldritch Horror...
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

More
02 Jan 2014 09:12 - 02 Jan 2014 09:30 #168909 by san il defanso
I resolve to play more Cosmic Encounter, Dune, Talisman, Wiz-War, and Duel of Ages. Play less of everything else.

In general, I resolve to treat board gaming like a hobby that I do for fun, and not treat it like work.
Last edit: 02 Jan 2014 09:30 by san il defanso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
02 Jan 2014 09:38 #168910 by engelstein
I really, really, really want to finish designing this strategic-level WW2 game I've been working on for freaking 10 years now. We've recently made some nice breakthroughs to simplify some stuff and keep the focus where I want it - on planning and intel.

Probably has little commercial viability but I want to finish it because I want to play it.

This will be the year!

More
02 Jan 2014 10:10 - 02 Jan 2014 10:11 #168914 by repoman

engelstein wrote: I really, really, really want to finish designing this strategic-level WW2 game I've been working on for freaking 10 years now. We've recently made some nice breakthroughs to simplify some stuff and keep the focus where I want it - on planning and intel.

Probably has little commercial viability but I want to finish it because I want to play it.

This will be the year!

Wow, I consider you a very unique designer Geoff. Ares Project and Space Cadets are really different than just about anything else.

With that in mind, I'd love to see you tackle a historical war game.

So stop jibber-jabbering and get to it! Chop chop!
Last edit: 02 Jan 2014 10:11 by repoman. Reason: To correct spelling of Geoff...I forgot how fancy he is

More
02 Jan 2014 11:12 #168922 by DukeofChutney
create a vassal prototype so i can play Repo at it. Which theatre is it?

More
02 Jan 2014 11:22 #168925 by engelstein
ETO.

Vassal might be hard, but I'll see what I can do once it's a little more mature.

Appreciate the interest!

I make some big abstractions in certain areas to focus on others, so it's very different than anything before - at least anything I'm familiar with. Current WW2 games (and strategic wargames in general) don't focus on the long range planning that was required for operations like D-Day or the German husbanding of resources for the Battle of the Bulge. Or strategic surprise like Barbarossa. There are a lot of artificial rules to make that kind of thing happen in most games, if they address it at all. In A3R or WiF you can pinpoint the weak spot for an invasion at the start of each turn, and have flexibility that the true combatants would have killed for.

So I'm starting with wanting to force the players to plan 'operations' over a series of turns, and really commit to a plan, and have the opponent use intel resources to try to figure out what you're actually going to do. Also sets up big opportunities for bluff (like the fake Scandinavian invasion plans for D-Day).

But to make it work I've done things that I think 'real' wargamers may find tough to swallow.

As it gets into a workable state I'll certainly try to put together a way for folks to playtest.

More
02 Jan 2014 11:42 - 02 Jan 2014 11:43 #168928 by Gary Sax

engelstein wrote: ETO.

Vassal might be hard, but I'll see what I can do once it's a little more mature.

Appreciate the interest!

I make some big abstractions in certain areas to focus on others, so it's very different than anything before - at least anything I'm familiar with. Current WW2 games (and strategic wargames in general) don't focus on the long range planning that was required for operations like D-Day or the German husbanding of resources for the Battle of the Bulge. Or strategic surprise like Barbarossa. There are a lot of artificial rules to make that kind of thing happen in most games, if they address it at all. In A3R or WiF you can pinpoint the weak spot for an invasion at the start of each turn, and have flexibility that the true combatants would have killed for.

So I'm starting with wanting to force the players to plan 'operations' over a series of turns, and really commit to a plan, and have the opponent use intel resources to try to figure out what you're actually going to do. Also sets up big opportunities for bluff (like the fake Scandinavian invasion plans for D-Day).

But to make it work I've done things that I think 'real' wargamers may find tough to swallow.

As it gets into a workable state I'll certainly try to put together a way for folks to playtest.

Only game series that is really that serious about supply and planning is probably OCS. I haven't played it but the mechanics mean that you spend most of your time carefully planning your operations.

I'd be interested in your game, let us know what ends up happening with it.
Last edit: 02 Jan 2014 11:43 by Gary Sax.

More
02 Jan 2014 13:44 #168950 by ThirstyMan
Agreed. OCS is the bomb.

Never played a wargame even close to the extent of planning needed in OCS.

More
02 Jan 2014 14:06 #168955 by Aarontu
In 2014, I want to play my new, unplayed games:

SPELLFIRE

MUNCHKIN ZOMBIES!

(from Secret Satan)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.018 seconds