October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2652 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

New Years Gaming Resolutions 2014

More
02 Jan 2014 14:50 #168962 by Rliyen

Aarontu wrote: In 2014, I want to play my new, unplayed games:

SPELLFIRE

MUNCHKIN ZOMBIES!

(from Secret Satan)

Munchkin Zombies is fun. My son loves it. Instead of monsters, you're breaking into houses to get to humans, and sometimes enemy zombies.

I've already got my ass handed to him playing Munchkin Legends.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2014 15:40 #168966 by engelstein

ThirstyMan wrote: Agreed. OCS is the bomb.

Never played a wargame even close to the extent of planning needed in OCS.

I'll have to check out OCS. I have Bloody 110th from The Gamers, which I think is part of their TCS series. And that had you actually plotting things out with a grease pencil (showing my age) to plan attacks. I should go back and break that out again.

More
02 Jan 2014 17:36 #168981 by jur
So much to do, so little time. Which means making choices and focus! Which results in the following resolutions:

1. I’m going to write the book.

2. I won’t buy any new games, but play what I’ve got. I’ve registered all my games on boardgamegeek today and found that I have about 240, of which I have played only 120 at least once. I will raise that percentage by playing at least 12 of those this year (one each month seems doable) and shedding 24. Not buying new games will be tough, though.

3. I won’t buy new figures. I might buy some more vehicles for Chain of Command. And maybe some buildings. I will shed some 5% of my lead pile.

4. I won’t buy new books except about Napoleonic warfare. Second hand books under 10 euro/pound on other topics, maybe. I will shed some 5% of my books. Although I have no idea of how many I actually have.

5. I will blog once a week.

6. Just to remind myself: I won’t start any new projects. All non-book projects are on hold.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, repoman

More
02 Jan 2014 20:15 #168990 by ThirstyMan

engelstein wrote:

ThirstyMan wrote: Agreed. OCS is the bomb.

Never played a wargame even close to the extent of planning needed in OCS.

I'll have to check out OCS. I have Bloody 110th from The Gamers, which I think is part of their TCS series. And that had you actually plotting things out with a grease pencil (showing my age) to plan attacks. I should go back and break that out again.

I kind of like the idea of TCS but in actuality, I found the system a bit unwieldy with all those phase line orders etc etc.

OCS just makes you think bloody hard if you actually have enough supply to run the operation. If not get it shipped up to the front but garrison those supply dumps or the enemy will have a field day screwing up your plans by blowing your fuel dumps. I really like the system which is right at the operational level of war and not the tactical level like TCS.

More
02 Jan 2014 20:19 #168991 by Sevej

Jur wrote: 3. I won’t buy new figures. I might buy some more vehicles for Chain of Command. And maybe some buildings. I will shed some 5% of my lead pile.

Wow, didn't expect a TFL ruleset played by one of FATies.

More
03 Jan 2014 04:23 #169002 by jur
why not? There must be some cross breeding between mioniatures and board games. There always has been for me. I did a blog on Le Feu Sacre here a few years back.

More
10 Mar 2014 04:40 - 10 Mar 2014 04:42 #173207 by Bull Nakano

Bull Nakano wrote: My goals last year went pretty well, I'm going to shift gears a little and hope to maintain my 2013 behaviour through 2014.

-Play through games I own and have not played. I don't have any numbers on this currently but if I get around to that I'll update. Essentially I own a bunch of games which, for various reasons, have gone unplayed. I'd like to dramatically reduce that number.

-Don't be curious with purchases. I know my tastes well, if I don't want a game, don't buy it. I did well with this in 2013 but made a few bad purchases late in the year. This method of game buying has literally never paid off for me.

-Sell, sell, sell.Trading is good when I'm trading for games I want, but often times I accept trades to get games I don't want out of my sight but acquire other games I'm not excited about. Sell games, focus on what I want. I'd like my previously owned games to outnumber my owned games by 2015.

-Wargame. This is something I've been exploring lately and I'd like to continue in deeper.

-Paint. Nothing particular, but I really want to get back into painting miniatures regularly.

Two months gone by, time for a progress report:

1) Playing unplayed games.
My "goal" is to knock out 5 each month. I think this is a reasonable number to expect my playgroups to sit through as well as realistic. Even so, January fell short with only 2 unplayed games off the list, Hoity Toity (rating 3/5), and the then just acquired Res Publica (rating 4/5).

February showed much improvement here, plowing through Court of the Medici (4/5), China (4/5), Hollywood Blockbuster (3/5), Jambo (4/5), and Outpost (4/5).

No real stinkers in those months, though Hoity Toity is now on my trade list, and if Blockbuster isn't more interesting with fewer players (I played with 5 which I feel is too many) it'll be keeping it company.

I already hit my goal of 5 for March! More on that next update.

2) Better purchases.
Well, for the year this far I haven't had steady work, which has undoubtedly helped me stick with this, but to date I've only purchased 2 games (Res Publica and Famiglia) and backed 1 kickstarter (This Town). A total of just around $20 after shipping. Not too bad. There are still games I really want but I'm not feeling the need to buy them, I've been trying to trade for them since there seem to be only a couple dozen games I'm interested in picking up total. I'm considering backing the Kickstarter for Town Center, as the game seems really interesting and probably won't hit US distribution.

3) Sell games.
I've sold a few big ticket games (BatHoth, LotR Risk Trilogy, DungeonQuest 3rd edition), haven't felt motivated to move the less valuable stuff for a couple bucks. I've been trying to push it through math trades for games I want with some success.

4) Wargame.
Sadly, my wargaming to date this year is limited to a single session of Combat Commander Europe. I really want to play that game (and others) much more, but my wargaming partner seems to be fairly busy recently.

5) Paint.
The biggest misstep so far. I've painted practically nothing. I hope Spring changes how I feel about that. Doing things in the Winter is particularly difficult for me, so we'll see.

That's all, see you in a month or two!
Last edit: 10 Mar 2014 04:42 by Bull Nakano.

More
10 Mar 2014 10:16 #173215 by SuperflyPete

Bull Nakano wrote:
1) Playing unplayed games.
My "goal" is to knock out 5 each month. I think this is a reasonable number to expect my playgroups to sit through as well as realistic. Even so, January fell short with only 2 unplayed games off the list, Hoity Toity (rating 3/5), and the then just acquired Res Publica (rating 4/5).

I can't believe that you have enough unplayed games to play 5 a month. Wow.

3) Sell games.
I've sold a few big ticket games (BatHoth, LotR Risk Trilogy, DungeonQuest 3rd edition), haven't felt motivated to move the less valuable stuff for a couple bucks. I've been trying to
push it through math trades for games I want with some success.

You might want to put a list together. I'd be surprised if someone here wouldn't overpay a few bucks for a pile so you only have to ship a few times. Bundling, baby!

4) Wargame.
Sadly, my wargaming to date this year is limited to a single session of Combat Commander Europe. I really want to play that game (and others) much more, but my wargaming partner seems to be fairly busy recently.

The Wreck Age rules are free and on torrents. Good bathroom reading, and it's an incredibly fun game.

5) Paint.
The biggest misstep so far. I've painted practically nothing. I hope Spring changes how I feel about that. Doing things in the Winter is particularly difficult for me, so we'll see.

For everyone. You can't spray paint in the winter!

That's all, see you in a month or two![/quote]

More
10 Mar 2014 17:38 #173282 by Gary Sax
I'll bite. Why not, Superfly? I've never heard that about spray paint.

More
30 Dec 2014 18:39 #193639 by ChristopherMD
I got half of mine. I didn't sell any games, but I did play Android twice. My monthly group likes it so I'll probably play it 1-2 a year now.

More
30 Dec 2014 18:47 #193641 by Gary Sax
Fail for me. Played a number of games but never got a regular game night going.

More
30 Dec 2014 19:09 #193645 by Michael Barnes
My resolution is to not make any resolutions about games. I'm just gonna play 'em. Maybe too much, maybe not enough. Nothing in particular, just whatever seems fun at the time. Not buying many isn't a resolution, it's a lifestyle choice.

Total victory.

More
30 Dec 2014 19:10 #193646 by repoman

repoman wrote: Finish painting my WoTR figures? Maybe. And get a decent home PC so that I can play some games on-line via Vassal or what have you.

Other than that, considering my currently work situation that really limits any and all free time, I'm pretty happy with the gaming aspect of my life. I game when I can and the people who I game with are universally awesome. And let me tell you, that is no small thing. We've all gamed with people we weren't too keen on but I like my current circle.

Wow, total 100% victory for me.

I DID finish painting my War of the Rings figures and I did get a gaming computer. Huzzah for me.

More
30 Dec 2014 19:32 #193654 by Sevej

Not buying more board game base games. Expansions only.

God help me with Battlelore 2nd Edition and Eldritch Horror...

Fail. I bought Warhammer 40,000: Conquest and ordered Survive just now. Well I did bought Ghost Panzer, but I count that as being Screaming Eagles' expansion, in preparation for Texas Arrows.

More
30 Dec 2014 19:41 #193656 by OldHippy

JonJacob wrote: To sell as many games as possible.. or even give them away if need be. I need space and less games.

I will continue to not buy games as I feel my collection is complete for my purposes.

Small scale success as I only sold two games and I got D&D attack wing as a Christmas present. Not bad...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.390 seconds