October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Best Comedy Albums of 2013

More
08 Jan 2014 22:35 #169534 by Stan Leer
Both of Kyle Kinane's albums are great. Whiskey Icarus was 2012 and I bought as soon as I heard it was out based solely on Kyle's first album and stand up stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2014 23:08 #169537 by OldHippy
I have Whiskey Icarus but haven't picked up his first one yet. He's great, it feels like if you were to go into a bar he's the kind of dude you'd hope to sit beside by accident. Kind of like a younger Stanhope in delivery, even though politically they do have some big differences. Last year he would have been on my list, that was a good year too.

I think we may be in a golden age of comedy in some ways. At least as far as accessibility is concerned.

More
09 Jan 2014 03:32 #169544 by mads b.

JonJacob wrote: Hey mads, I saw one of your clips that was in English on youtube and it was quite good. Do you normally just do Danish only shows or is there something more of yours on youtube or something similar in English that we can all hear?

Thanks. I don't do much in English - mostly the occasional company gig. But last year we did the geek show thing at Leicester Comedy Festival and I'll see if the recording I made is good enough for me to upload.

And actually we're doing our new geek show at the coming Leicster Comedy Festival as a sort of preparation for booking some shows in the UK and maybe, just maybe, doing a pay what you want recording in English like the one we have in Danish.

More
09 Jan 2014 05:33 #169545 by Schweig!
Upon your recommendation, I listened to Doug Stanhope's Beer Hall Putsch yesterday and it really is a great comedy album. I particularly liked the bit about charity runs. The one about fucking an NFL player in the ass was a bit too abrasive for me, but I take it that's his schtick, to always get very obscene at the end of his performance.

More
09 Jan 2014 09:42 #169548 by san il defanso
I really don't keep up with new comedy releases at all, but the one I did pay attention to this year was Ask Me About My New God! by Maria Bamford. She's one of my favorite comedians, partially because of how she mines the darkness of depression into something really funny. And my goodness, her different voices/characters are priceless.

More
09 Jan 2014 10:15 - 09 Jan 2014 10:41 #169551 by OldHippy

San Il Defanso wrote: I really don't keep up with new comedy releases at all, but the one I did pay attention to this year was Ask Me About My New God! by Maria Bamford. She's one of my favorite comedians, partially because of how she mines the darkness of depression into something really funny. And my goodness, her different voices/characters are priceless.

Good call. I considered putting that one on my list. There is some great material on that album. I especially like the bit about cancer vs. mental illness. Her voices are great, there's no doubt about that, it's not my kind of thing normally but she's quite good at it. I think she's improved a lot over the years because when I first saw her on The Comedians of Comedy I didn't think she very good at all but that new album is the best thing she's done yet and has turned me into a fan.
Last edit: 09 Jan 2014 10:41 by OldHippy.

More
09 Jan 2014 10:17 #169552 by OldHippy

Schweig! wrote: Upon your recommendation, I listened to Doug Stanhope's Beer Hall Putsch yesterday and it really is a great comedy album. I particularly liked the bit about charity runs. The one about fucking an NFL player in the ass was a bit too abrasive for me, but I take it that's his schtick, to always get very obscene at the end of his performance.

I'm curious what you thought about the bit about his mother. It gets pretty dark when they start teasing her that they've found a cure as she lay there dying. I found it a fitting tribute to his mom and the life they believe in but I could totally see how some people would think of it as tasteless.

More
10 Jan 2014 00:33 - 10 Jan 2014 00:33 #169613 by Schweig!

JonJacob wrote: I'm curious what you thought about the bit about his mother. It gets pretty dark when they start teasing her that they've found a cure as she lay there dying. I found it a fitting tribute to his mom and the life they believe in but I could totally see how some people would think of it as tasteless.

I liked that one actually. It was combination of satirical and sentimental, which I generally like in films and literature as well. Suicide, or rather euthanasia in this case, is a delicate subject, but not really an obscene one. Anal rape on the other hand is pretty obscene and offensive. Unlike euthanasia I don't think anal rape is a taboo that needs to be broken.
Last edit: 10 Jan 2014 00:33 by Schweig!.

More
10 Jan 2014 00:39 #169614 by OldHippy

Schweig! wrote:

JonJacob wrote: I'm curious what you thought about the bit about his mother. It gets pretty dark when they start teasing her that they've found a cure as she lay there dying. I found it a fitting tribute to his mom and the life they believe in but I could totally see how some people would think of it as tasteless.

I liked that one actually. It was combination of satirical and sentimental, which I generally like in films and literature as well. Suicide, or rather euthanasia in this case, is a delicate subject, but not really an obscene one. Anal rape on the other hand is pretty obscene and offensive. Unlike euthanasia I don't think anal rape is a taboo that needs to be broken.

I see why you'd look at it like that but I read that as an anti-homophobia bit and an attack on the average beer drinking homophobic football fan. Although I'm sure he's also fucking with us in extreme detail in an attempt to be humorous.

More
10 Jan 2014 01:10 - 10 Jan 2014 01:11 #169616 by Schweig!

JonJacob wrote: I see why you'd look at it like that but I read that as an anti-homophobia bit and an attack on the average beer drinking homophobic football fan. Although I'm sure he's also fucking with us in extreme detail in an attempt to be humorous.

I absolutely got that as well.

There is a German comedian (Austrian actually) who starts a bit off as making a couple of jokes about French people, the audience heartily laughing, and then concludes with, "Now we have a great atmosphere in here, reminiscent of 1914".

I have to say Stanhope's balance was a bit off here. I don't believe the fantasy of anal raping a black American Football player is good way to trap people in their own casual homophobia. And the vivid explanation of the act itself is too long for the point he's trying to make. But that may just be my impression.
Last edit: 10 Jan 2014 01:11 by Schweig!.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.279 seconds