October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Game Industry = Scavenger Type

More
03 Feb 2014 14:21 #171181 by Michael Barnes
Something else to consider...I think we're due for a MAJOR release sometime this year. I don't know what it is, and I'm not going to hazard a projection...but I think it's time for something BIG on the level of Dominion, Ticket to Ride, or Carcassonne...if not on the level of Magic or Settlers. There is no scientific or statistical rationale for this. Maybe it's just wishful thinking. But we're going on six years out from Dominion, the last major release that I would say had a major impact on the direction of game design. That mechanical lineage has kind of reached its full fruition and maturity. It's time for a game to come along that has that kind of disruptive, "all in" sort of atmosphere about it, a paradigm-shifter, something that is a major influencer and point of reference for the next several years.

Not another Martin Wallace game, another deckbuilder or a new LCG. Something that really changes the way we play and think about games. It's coming.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2014 14:32 #171182 by VonTush
I wonder if SeaFall and the Legacy design style is going to be it...Sure there was Risk: Legacy, but I think shaking the Hasbro/Risk stigma could be that bit that sends it over the edge within the hobby gaming community.

More
03 Feb 2014 15:08 #171184 by Egg Shen

Michael Barnes wrote: Something else to consider...I think we're due for a MAJOR release sometime this year. I don't know what it is, and I'm not going to hazard a projection...but I think it's time for something BIG on the level of Dominion, Ticket to Ride, or Carcassonne...if not on the level of Magic or Settlers. There is no scientific or statistical rationale for this. Maybe it's just wishful thinking. But we're going on six years out from Dominion, the last major release that I would say had a major impact on the direction of game design. That mechanical lineage has kind of reached its full fruition and maturity. It's time for a game to come along that has that kind of disruptive, "all in" sort of atmosphere about it, a paradigm-shifter, something that is a major influencer and point of reference for the next several years.

You've got the same thinking as Tom Vasel. He made a similar prediction in one of his videos towards the beginning of January. Basically, he was thinking that it's been too long since a landmark title hit stores and changed the industry. He wasn't basing it on insider info or anything...just going with the ol' gut.

More
03 Feb 2014 15:52 #171190 by SuperflyPete
Milch und Gherkin is in its final stages of pre-release testing.

AND JESUS WEPT

More
03 Feb 2014 15:56 #171191 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, I think he's right about it. It is just a gut feeling, that sense that something is about to change. Some of it is from watching trends and gauging interest levels. Some of it does come from a sense of timing, that it feels like the time is right for something to sweep through.

I don't know if Seafall is it...the Legacy thing is cool and all, but I don't think that's really the kind of profound effect we're going to see...there are still a lot of issues regarding disposability, replayability, and group commitment that could keep that sort of idea from hitting that crossover kind of flashpoint that Ticket to Ride/Carcassonne/Dominion/Settlers have.

I think Seafall will be interesting, but I don't think it will be a defining moment. What we're due for is a defining moment.

More
03 Feb 2014 16:11 - 03 Feb 2014 16:11 #171193 by Gary Sax
I think we're heading toward some non-classic boardgame breaking through into larger culture in a big way---in the same way videogames are now part of regular culture and have occasional crossover (e.g. Minecraft sells 14 million copies). I think Cards Against Humanity has really laid the groundwork recently.
Last edit: 03 Feb 2014 16:11 by Gary Sax.

More
03 Feb 2014 16:43 #171201 by Bull Nakano

Michael Barnes wrote:
Another factor we're not discussing yet is "god damn it, games are expensive".

This is a real problem with accessibility. Games have suffered such inflation the past couple years. There's obviously a base level of what a game costs (40-50), but games are coming out now with an 80-100 tag for no reason. Yes, caverna is expensive, but there's a lot in that box too. Let's talk about nations. 100 for 300 hobbit cards, 2 non folding boards, 5 player boards, a hunch of generic resource chits, and wood pieces in each color. That is insane. The reprint of outpost is nearly identical (no wood bits but more of everything else) and it's price was HALF of nations. For 100 you can let it rot in your warehouse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

More
03 Feb 2014 17:06 #171205 by Ken B.

Bull Nakano wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote:

This is a real problem with accessibility. Games have suffered such inflation the past couple years. There's obviously a base level of what a game costs (40-50), but games are coming out now with an 80-100 tag for no reason. Yes, caverna is expensive, but there's a lot in that box too. Let's talk about nations. 100 for 300 hobbit cards, 2 non folding boards, 5 player boards, a hunch of generic resource chits, and wood pieces in each color. That is insane. The reprint of outpost is nearly identical (no wood bits but more of everything else) and it's price was HALF of nations. For 100 you can let it rot in your warehouse.

You've also mentioned two games that are essentially cannibalizations of previous titles. "Caverna is Agricola....but newer!" and Nations is "Dude, even better Through the Ages!" Problem is, they're too derivative of those designs, too much an inbred offspring. If I want to play TtA or Agricola, well, I'll just fuckin' play TtA and Agricola, right? No reason for me to pony up $80 a pop for SLIGHTLY BETTER versions, right?

More
03 Feb 2014 17:19 #171208 by scissors
Except that Caverna effing FIRED Agricola, man! :)

More
03 Feb 2014 17:27 #171209 by Bull Nakano

Ken B. wrote:

Bull Nakano wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote:

You've also mentioned two games that are essentially cannibalizations of previous titles. "Caverna is Agricola....but newer!" and Nations is "Dude, even better Through the Ages!" Problem is, they're too derivative of those designs, too much an inbred offspring. If I want to play TtA or Agricola, well, I'll just fuckin' play TtA and Agricola, right? No reason for me to pony up $80 a pop for SLIGHTLY BETTER versions, right?

yeah, it's the same as video games really. Except a single player video game once beaten is beaten, multiplayer board games don't suffer from this if they are designed in a way that encourages replayability, which both Agricola and tta do. These two are much more along the lines of a yearly sports update, or a fighting game revision. I'm generally interested in nations, as I don't own a civ game, but even if I played it and liked it the price gouging just isn't something I'd support. Yes, it's gouging. I have no idea why the price of caverna is a hot topic but not nations.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.696 seconds