October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

These are not the cracks you're looking for...

More
13 Mar 2014 13:57 #173495 by SuperflyPete

Legomancer wrote: We're not talking about shaming people on their body or social class or whatever, we are talking about pulling up your goddamn pants, an activity that is available to nearly everyone. (I'm not even talking about the "urban" (black) style of low-hanging pants, because those dudes at least have their boxers on.)

Generally, there's boxer briefs and then shorts on under the pants. That said, you should've stuck with "urban" because I see almost as many white dudes and definitely as many Latinos (at least did in California when I lived there) who droop their shorts.

Other than that, you nailed it. It's easier to shoot the messenger than reflect upon the message.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2014 14:07 #173497 by Michael Barnes
People that wilfully sit at a game table with their pants down their ass DESERVE TO BE POINTED OUT, RIDICULED, AND PUBLICALLY SHAMED FOR BEING DISGUSTING SLOBS. I do not care if it's "cruel". These people are making a wilful decision to ignore social decency and standards of class, taste and dignity. If you can not respect yourself enough to pull your pants up, then I have zero fucking respect for you. You do not deserve my respect if you can't muster that modicum of dignity.

Sure, gaming represents an everything-is-beautiful rainbow spectrum of wonderful people. But I've also met some total human shitbags in gaming. I've met people that are absolutely fucking disgusting. I've met people that are disgraceful in just about every way imaginable but boy howdy, do they love games.

My maxim stands- make fun of, harrass, and shame people for what they choose to be. Not for what they are. Choose to sit with your ass exposed, YOU ARE A TARGET. Not only that, but it's these people that are hurting the community more than this article where this guy is quite honestly just calling it like he sees it.

Nerd/geek culture is so full of excuses...
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

More
13 Mar 2014 14:11 - 13 Mar 2014 14:20 #173499 by OldHippy
I remember sitting on a bus here in Vancouver and this girl came on with a very, very short skirt. When she sat down I just knew that her bottom and maybe more would be touching the bus seat. It struck me as being classless (I think I turned to my friend and said: "I bet she can't even spell class"). But I know that no neckbearded rapper would ever care about this. No nerd would ever complain in quite the same way.

That article (that lego linked) is ridiculous because they act like no one should ever say anything about any of their opinions. "Absolutely unacceptable" is what the article calls it. Which is some pretty heavy handed hyperbole. People judge, they're allowed to judge, deal with it. As long as they own it I don't really care.

It is a simple aesthetic problem people have with it, it's not an actual problem. There are no safety issues involved, people just don't like how it looks and it's mostly because these guys are fat and traditionally unattractive. If it was all hyper attractive ladies no one would complain, and this guys photo essay would suddenly be really creepy. The whole thing is very superficial, which we're allowed to be. People just can't stand seeing someone teased anymore, I don't want to call it the wimpification of our society or anything like that but good lord... you have to accept that people are free to say what they do and don't like and sometimes what they don't like is you. Deal with it. Write an essay saying the guy is a giant douche for doing this to strangers... that's fair, but don't say it's "absolutely unacceptable", that's ridiculous.
Last edit: 13 Mar 2014 14:20 by OldHippy.

More
13 Mar 2014 14:26 - 13 Mar 2014 14:27 #173501 by Schweig!

Legomancer wrote: Now there's this article going around.

Over the years I have acquired 20 or so close friends who play Magic the Gathering. They are a diverse group: men and women, large and small, socially awkward and smooth. I have friends in this group who follow every sporting event and others who just don’t care. I have married friends, single friends, polyamorous friends, straight friends, gay friends.

And this is why I get so angry and sad when an article like this goes viral. Because instead of seeing the diverse group of fascinating, empathetic, and unique people that are allured by the complex game of Magic, they see a bunch of overweight slobs who dress poorly.

Ridiculous.

So why isn't the author of that comment happy with his circle of super cool Magic players?

Why does it even matter if your hobby has people in it who aren't cool? I'm pretty sure every activity/interest has a bunch of idiot followers.

I don't think ass cracks are a profound problem that requires a serious discussion.

If you can't enjoy your hobby when a bunch of ass cracks revealing nerds also enjoy it, then GTFO.

Last edit: 13 Mar 2014 14:27 by Schweig!.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB

More
13 Mar 2014 15:00 #173503 by RobertB
I've with Schweig on this (I think). Life's too short to start chewing strangers out for not meeting my grooming and dress standards, as normal (or not) as they may be. I've got one kid to raise already, and I don't really want to start raising full-grown adults*. Sure, in a crowded room, juggling running chainsaws or starting fires is a problem, and might need to be addressed. Ginormous ass crack, I'll just hope my ass isn't hanging out like that, and press on.

*except on the Internet; I'd bet most of us are more than happy to raise strangers there. :)

More
13 Mar 2014 15:06 #173504 by Not Sure

Schweig! wrote: If you can't enjoy your hobby when a bunch of ass cracks revealing nerds also enjoy it, then GTFO.

But my hobby is showing people my asscrack, and these guys are just ruining it for everyone.

More
13 Mar 2014 15:27 - 14 Mar 2014 07:57 #173505 by Hatchling
I tend to see smelly unwashed gamers as addicts. When I see them clumped together at conventions in a cloud of nasty, I am reminded of stories I've heard of people sitting for days in front of a slot machine in adult diapers, chafing and rotting away. While I agree that that's totally gross, I don't think shaming them will accomplish anything, just like jailing a junky won't break his habit. In fact I think addictions are never fun to have, and the people who have them probably wish they didn't have them.

What would deserve strong shaming IMO would be any effort to encourage gamers in close quarters with members of the general public to be gross on principle, simply for the sake of willfully offending others. I sure hope that that doesn't happen!
Last edit: 14 Mar 2014 07:57 by Hatchling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds