October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

What are you WRITING?

More
28 May 2014 09:48 #179094 by Erik Twice
There are a lot of writers in this forum so I thought this could be a cool thread :)

What have you been writing lately? Are you feeling stuck or thinking you are writing some really nice articles? Do you want input or just to rant? Post it here!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2014 10:03 #179096 by hotseatgames
I'm writing a lot of flavor text and rules for a card game I'm making. I really like writing flavor text; it's fun trying to hint at something much bigger with only a couple of lines of text.

More
28 May 2014 10:04 #179097 by Black Barney
What a frickin' great idea for a thread. If I'm not writing something each week (at least once a month), I'm losing my mind.

I'm writing a survey for investment communication needs for a bunch of stakeholders of our platform for defined contribution pension plans. It's actually pretty fun and interesting.

I'm feeling guilty that i haven't been writing movie reviews and reading Repo's latest x-men review makes me want to start seeing movies again. The only movie I've seen this year is The Lego Movie.

More
28 May 2014 10:34 #179107 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: What are you WRITING?
My on going Tow Jockey Crusade articles which seem to be being received fairly well which is pleasing.

Other than that my usual torrent of snarky half or ill informed opinions on this that and the other.

Occasionally something interesting.

More
28 May 2014 11:00 #179111 by Joebot
Replied by Joebot on topic Re: What are you WRITING?
I'm deep into the third draft of a novel (it's a fantasy adventure -- somewhere between Joe Abercrombie and Patrick O'Brian). The first draft was waaaaay too long, so currently I'm trying to hack about 70,000 words out of it. Not easy.

More
28 May 2014 11:04 #179113 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Re: What are you WRITING?
Finishing up a designer diary for A Fistful of Dinero but W. Eric Martin on BGG won't reply to my emails so I will probably have to post it in a shitty corner of BGG where it won't garner any interest.

Not sure if he's A) Too Busy, B) Ignoring me because you have to be a known designer/company to warrant his attention or C) He's blacklisting me for creating the original Up Front thread which drew a lot of criticism to him/BGG for burying it and posting Rik Falch's "nothing to see here" response in the news section

More
28 May 2014 11:37 #179117 by SuperflyPete

hotseatgames wrote: I'm writing a lot of flavor text and rules for a card game I'm making. I really like writing flavor text; it's fun trying to hint at something much bigger with only a couple of lines of text.

What ever happened with your miniatures "arena" game?

More
28 May 2014 12:33 #179120 by ChristopherMD
I'm not writing anything. I've gone through a process of creative dumbening as I've gotten older.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
28 May 2014 12:35 #179121 by Legomancer
Apart from normal blog shit, I have been trying to work my way out of a plot hole in a thing I was working on, a bit of Fan Fiction, I guess, about an FBI agent looking into the assassination of Chief Justice Leroy "Encyclopedia" Brown. Which started on my blog, so I guess that counts as normal blog shit.

More
28 May 2014 12:40 #179123 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re: What are you WRITING?
I have been writing variations on my cover letter for my resume. I have been unemployed for 8 months now, and my girlfriend's car just died of multiple causes, so it's getting scary. The job market was practically dead all winter (and not just in my line of work), but revived in April. Half of my interviews have been in the last 8 weeks. Not counting recruiters or temp agencies, I have had 12 normal interviews, 20 phone interviews, and 1 low-ball offer. Of those interviews, there were a few second interviews and a couple of third interviews. I'm an accountant with 25 years of experience, including 20 years at management level. Recruiters and temp agencies love my resume, but can't quite match me with jobs in the Twin Cities metro area. One agency called me 6 times last Friday about the same contract-to-hire position, and hasn't gotten back to me since. It's frustrating, but I can't afford to give up.

More
28 May 2014 13:35 #179125 by hotseatgames

SuperflyTNT wrote:

hotseatgames wrote: I'm writing a lot of flavor text and rules for a card game I'm making. I really like writing flavor text; it's fun trying to hint at something much bigger with only a couple of lines of text.

What ever happened with your miniatures "arena" game?

I haven't personally been involved with it in a couple of months. I stopped working on it so that the publisher could catch up with sculpting, art, etc. I'm not sure where they are with it. I got focused on City of Lycans, and now another game. If they get to the point where they are going to launch the kickstarter for realz, I'll turn my attention back to it.

I actually would like to see it happen. I had an idea for an "ooze" faction, which would allow me to create a gelatinous cube unit. I don't have a bucket list in life, but if I did, that would be on it.

More
28 May 2014 23:19 #179158 by Jackwraith
Jeebus. Good luck, Shellhead. Been there.

I'm still posting occasionally to the blog ( dichotomouspurity.blogspot.com/ ), although a lot of what I post in spring and summer is critiques of GoT episodes, so be careful of spoilers there if you're not caught up (I specifically avoid spoilers for non-book readers, so no worries there.) Otherwise, I tend to focus on films and social issues (I have an idea percolating about the Isla Vista shooting/#NotAllMen/#YesAllWomen phenomenon based on a some conversations with friends in a bar tonight.)

I just finished the final edits on the proof for my story in this collection: www.gwdbooks.com/cthulhu-lives.html

And I'm in the midst of three short stories which are forming the first third of a serial novel based on a setting I created for a comic studio I co-owned in the 90s. I may pitch that to the same publisher, depending on how well it's flowing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
29 May 2014 06:31 #179166 by mads b.
Replied by mads b. on topic Re: What are you WRITING?
The company I worked for just went bankrupt, so I have a lot of time to write. And lucky that I have since I have to comedy shows that needs to be finished late august.

One of them is a show about being a geek. It's the fourth show I and two other comedians make, and it's usually a lot of fun to write. The other one is based on a character inspired by Stephen Colbert and thus a lot harder to write. But I'm only doing an hour with a fellow comedian (whos persona will be an extremely left wing douchebag) and I have some great stuff already so I'm not that worried.

More
30 May 2014 00:42 #179294 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re: What are you WRITING?
Cool thread idea!

I have a lot of projects on the go right now. But the one I'm most excited about is my solo album. I've been working with several different bands over the years and I've always written songs that just don't fit into any of the projects. My buddy has a great studio and liked the tunes well enough that he offered to help me record these pieces for an independent project. It's so nice to work on writing things with no one but myself in mind, to call all the shots and what not. Much, much better.

I'm also working on an autobiography (more for my son than anything else but also as a kind of experiment to see what I remember about my own life). It's weird and really hard to not censor yourself.

There there is the wildcats project which is a series of really offensive songs I've written with buddies over the years (20 years worth now) and we're trying to write short shows to highlight the tunes. Probably mostly animation with a little live action sprinkled in. I'm really excited to see how this one turns out, if it's palpably satirical or just comes across as bigoted. If it isn't working we'll shelve it and keep it hidden, if it does... well that would rock but I have no clue what will happen just yet.

I'm always on the lookout for more writing projects and there are a couple of bands that I'm buds with that have hired me to write (and in some cases re-write/edit) their lyrics for them. That's pretty fun too. I openly admit that I'm not the best musician out there, but I'm pretty good with lyrics so I've kind of earned this rep in my group of buddies as the go to guy for this kind of work.

More
30 May 2014 11:44 #179327 by Erik Twice
Wow, I didn't expect this thread to get popular so fast, much less to have such a variety of stuff in it! Thanks guys!

I've been trying to update my blog more often and so far I've managed to update it six times this month despite skipping one week! I should also have another review this weekend and another by next week so I'm very happy about this, the more I wrote the easier it is to keep writing and when I stall, I risk stalling for weeks.

I feel my last article, which was a review of The Republic of Rome is pretty representative of my strenghts and flaws right now. What I try to do with my reviews is to tell the reader what a game's raison d'être, why it is interesting or why it is not. But this is hard and I often don't quite find the words to do it so I substitute personality and insight for grandiloquence because it makes it easier to write.

Basically, I feel my reviews lack humanity. You know how a good reviewer can make you go "Oooh, I understand where you are coming from!" with a good phrase or a sharp description? That's what I lack, and it's more noticiable in my most positive reviews which I think are harder to write than negative ones.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.356 seconds