October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Teens reach to NES (or Black Barney feels old)

More
14 Sep 2014 07:34 #187007 by wadenels
I still have my NES hooked up and ready to game. I took it apart and replaced the port that receives the cartridge with an aftermarket non-brass version. Works tons better, but I'm really careful inserting and pulling cartridges now because I don't want the new port to wear down the contacts on the cartridges.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2014 13:09 #187012 by Erik Twice

Black Barney wrote: ]How about when Arya realizes she's invincible after getting the star and runs through the koopas saying, "die bitch". That's an amazing moment giving clarity at how different these generations are. I never talked like that back then playign video games. I only started with Call of Duty 4. But here's a super young girl playing a video game dropping swears like crazy. I would have been spanked.

I don't think it's really about swearing, but about the meta aspect of "Die bitch". It's like saying "motherfucker" in an imitation of Samuel L. Jackson's tone, it's just for fun. At worst it's a bit like cursing because it's a forbidden taboo and hence, funny. I wouldn't worry about it.

Just an awesome nostalgic video. I loved it.

If you liked this video, you might like the video in which they play Punch-Out. Seeing the reactions to a pattern-based games and seeing how a couple of the kids get into it is very fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
14 Sep 2014 14:54 #187020 by Disgustipater

Erik Twice wrote: If you liked this video, you might like the video in which they play Punch-Out.

It was pretty funny when the kid read Piston Honda's quote and said, "That's racist."

I seen a lot of comments recently about how terribly difficult Mike Tyson was, but I could reliably beat him when I was a kid. Maybe I just played the game way too much. But to be honest, I'm not sure if I ever made it through the entire game to reach him, instead of using the password. Maybe once? Anyway, I loved that game so much.

More
14 Sep 2014 15:19 #187021 by Erik Twice

Disgustipater wrote:

Erik Twice wrote: If you liked this video, you might like the video in which they play Punch-Out.

It was pretty funny when the kid read Piston Honda's quote and said, "That's racist."

I seen a lot of comments recently about how terribly difficult Mike Tyson was, but I could reliably beat him when I was a kid. Maybe I just played the game way too much. But to be honest, I'm not sure if I ever made it through the entire game to reach him, instead of using the password. Maybe once? Anyway, I loved that game so much.

I'm really not good at Punch-Out, but as far as I know Tyson is more beatable than it seems simply because he follows a pattern so eventually you'll chain all through his attacks and learn how to tackle what. In a sense, his biggest strenght is that he has a lot of HP, his attacks are very long and sometimes he changes his timing slighty to throw you off. He's still difficult though, not going to lie here, but if you can beat the rest of the game it's not a huge difficulty spike.

But Punch-Out aside, I think the difficulty of most older games is highly overstated. For example, Contra is often quoted as one of the hardest games ever made but it's probably on the easier side for the era, being much easier than Castlevania or R-Type. I think they are seen as difficult because most players nowadays are used to not losing very much, to progress in a fairly linear fashion investing one hour to see a new hour of the game and most old games aren't like that, Gradius II takes 25 hours to complete not 30 minutes means to name an example.

By the way, have you played the Wii Punch-Out? It's a really good game, I think it makes previous versions practically obsolete.

More
14 Sep 2014 15:53 - 14 Sep 2014 15:54 #187024 by Disgustipater
Contra was another one we played to death and beat it over and over. I don't remember it being super hard either. I'm pretty sure we got tired of beating it with he 30 lives code and started doing it like you are supposed to. I remember a lot of other games being a lot harder, like Bionic Commando and TMNT, but I'm not sure if that was because they were just hard, or terrible games that were poorly made (Rearmed proved BC was the former).

I have not played the Wii version of Punch Out. I haven't really played any Wii games.
Last edit: 14 Sep 2014 15:54 by Disgustipater.

More
14 Sep 2014 18:03 #187025 by jeb
Mike Tyson is super-tough in PUNCHOUT. He has one punch knockdowns and it's a TKO if you get hit three times. I know, I fought him every day for a year or more and never beat that guy. He winks before he punches, so you what direction he's coming from, but it really doesn't matter that much. I have knocked him down, but never got the KO.

CONTRA was easy as hell. I don't know anyone that says it was tough. Hard games were stuff like IKARI WARRIORS, GUNSMOKE, and goddamned RUSH'N ATTACK. Seriously, fuck that game. I didn't beat CASTLEVANIA until I emulated it and could do slow-mo. Stupid bats.

More
14 Sep 2014 20:54 #187030 by SaMoKo
Contra was mostly memory work. Ninja Gaiden was fucking impossible, every one of those three hellish games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
14 Sep 2014 21:07 #187031 by Sevej
Contra was easy. Even when I was at 3rd or 4th grade elementary school, I can finish it without dying even once. Now, Castlevania...

More
14 Sep 2014 22:42 - 14 Sep 2014 22:58 #187037 by Black Barney
I don't even know if I ever beat Mike Tyson / Mr. Dream. I think I may have done it once. I found him immensely difficult but I also found the guy right before him REALLY tough. He got me fairly often.

Mike Tyson's Punch Out was very much the medicine I needed after a bad day of school. I could repeatedly beat the crap out of Glass Joe and the german follow-up guy and feel better about myself and the world.

I'll try to find that video of teens playing it, sounds awesome

edit: found it, watched it, it was awesome. Yeah, the kid calling out the Piston Honda quote as racist was great. I love watching them all get one-punched by Mike Tyson too and the shock on their faces. That one kid that couldn't beat 1-1 is Super Mario lost to Glass Joe I think. He must be the worst video gaming guy of all time. I love him.

these videos are great, they're so funny. I think I'm going to film my girl in 10 years or so playing on her mom's NES. It'll be fun.
Last edit: 14 Sep 2014 22:58 by Black Barney.

More
15 Sep 2014 00:30 #187041 by SaMoKo
Contra was too cold, Castlevania was too hot, Megaman was just right.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds