October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

I'm Struggling with this Hobby, Y'all

More
03 Nov 2014 17:07 #189857 by bomber

scissors wrote: M

Over 40, I am thinking of buying one of those new cruiser skateboards just so I can skate next to my 6 year old boy

This is so obviously the 2014 Game of the Year that you should stop thinking about it and JUST DO IT. because it sounds awesome, and I am not a professional reviewer or expert by any means but if I had to go out on a limb on just one game among the cult of the new, I fucking GUARANTEE you that this will be your game of the year, and it will not even be close.

This cannot be disputed, and hence, I win. Or rather, you and your lad win. Do it. and Do it now. And post pictures as proof.

Also, I got tired of clicking individual thank yous in this thread so a collective Thanks to the thread as a whole.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2014 17:17 #189859 by bomber

VonTush wrote: Bah...Reading/Analyzing buying habits is about as interesting as reading about study to find out if there are cultural differences that factor into a person's decision to hang their toilet paper with a front or rear dangle.

I enjoy the work ones hung inside a little box, and the cheapo paper is tight hugging, so sometimes you can finger round that roll several times and still not find the start, so then you're like, ah, theyäve wound it on the other way so you loop the loop again finding the join in the other direction and guess what its still not fucking there. This is not good, being as you're sat in the stench of Beelzebub and the cold hard vastness of the bog seat is now permanently etching scars into your butt. Eventually you resort to a kind of mad fingernail scrabble until you find that fucking seam and yank forth a good few squares but you're so desperate to get the fuck out of there that you tear clean and now theres a new seam seemingly blended back into what now feels again like a solid paper roll with no join in it. Fucking freaky.

Also, you may not know but you 'mericuns have too low toilets, like the water surface is way too fucking close to your asses. We have a lot more room over here, allows stress free wipage without the need for a pre wipe flush. On the sonsofsamhorn website that I used to frequent back in the day there was a great multi page thread about loo paper, wiping technique and etiquette. I promise you it was more entertaining than ANY POSSIBLE SCENARIO that could ever occur in a box with THIS as the front fucking cover, ostensibly done to draw you into its world of wonder

More
03 Nov 2014 17:29 #189864 by stoic
Because of Mr. White I'm no longer purchasing any more games thereby participating in consumerism. From now on, I'm shoplifting all of them and then engaging in the Native American tradition of potlatching.

More
03 Nov 2014 18:17 - 03 Nov 2014 18:21 #189869 by scissors
The trick is stop reading or watching reviews by all these fucking reviewers ie. YOU have to pay for the games, not them. Sure they do the work to earn their free games, but for the amount they've bullshitted me into spending ;) over the years, I think I deserve a free fucking game too. I really like some of those reviewers, too, but fuck it if I need any of what they are hawking.

Skateboard it is.

Where the hell are the smilies?!
Last edit: 03 Nov 2014 18:21 by scissors.

More
03 Nov 2014 19:05 #189874 by Michael Barnes
I will put you on the review copy list for Milch und Gherkin when it releases in spring 2015.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors

More
03 Nov 2014 21:30 #189876 by Jexik
Man, I'm in such a different place than some of you guys.

29, single. I think I've gotten myself two new games this year, one of which I got on credit for helping at a booth at Origins. I bought my 12-year-old nephew King of Tokyo too. My long time friends aren't as into board games as I am; they prefer computer games these days.

But I still play 1-3 times a week, and often the same games. My Settlers of Catan won't lay flat when you try to join everything together. I bought a set of the Base Cards for Dominion because I wore out my coppers, silvers, and estates so much. I've nearly gone through 2 score pads for 7 Wonders. I've played Dead of Winter close to 20 times. I try to get people to lie to each other in Avalon every chance I get. The only real 'shelf-turds' that I have were well-meaning gifts, or my Heroscape collection which I just can't be bothered to set up and play anymore.

But I waste a lot of time here and on BGG. I rarely post here, but I read quite a bit. Even though I'm pretty connected to 'the hobby' I'm a pretty unfulfilled person right now. A couple years ago we used to host a (decidedly non-gaming) party every 6 weeks and get 20-40 people to show up, but now we struggle to get 15 and everyone's getting engaged, married, or having more kids.

Except me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Black Barney

More
03 Nov 2014 21:56 #189878 by Michael Barnes
Signed copy of Milch und Gherkin with an extra score pad for your Heroscape?

More
03 Nov 2014 22:15 #189879 by hotseatgames

Jexik wrote: ....

Well I met you at Origins this year and you're a swell guy. Stay single. It's the key to happiness.

More
03 Nov 2014 22:44 - 03 Nov 2014 22:49 #189882 by Mr. White

Michael Barnes wrote: Signed copy of Milch und Gherkin with an extra score pad for your Heroscape?

And there it is. The first crack in the armour.

Last edit: 03 Nov 2014 22:49 by Mr. White.

More
03 Nov 2014 23:38 - 03 Nov 2014 23:40 #189884 by Jexik

Michael Barnes wrote: Signed copy of Milch und Gherkin with an extra score pad for your Heroscape?

I actually sold about a grand worth of Heroscape a couple years ago.

This summer one of the two guys I've been living with moved out to live with his girlfriend, and he just let me have all of his 'scape. He makes good money and just doesn't want to deal with what's in that closet. He even told me I could sell it, but I don't think I want to do that. Posts like Jeff's make me re-realize how great a game it is, even if I'm not in a good place to play it right now. It really was a one-time thing. The funny part is that my friend and I collected the game at the same time, and we got different stuff. So now I have all the stuff that I wasn't initially drawn towards. But it's still Heroscape.
Last edit: 03 Nov 2014 23:40 by Jexik.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds