October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2650 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

What HOBBIES are you struggling with?

More
05 Nov 2014 08:40 #189981 by Legomancer
I find I just don't get the same jolt of adrenaline from buying plastic nerd shit that I used to. The other day I even bought an epic awesome nerd thing that was a thing from when I was 12 mashed up with a cartoon made for 30 year old adults and it only won all the internets for a few minutes before it was just sitting on a shelf with a bunch of other bullshit I spent money on in an attempt to recapture my lost youth. Fortunately they announced that in six years there will be a movie based on a comic book I used to read so that will once again give my sad existence meaning. Amazeballs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2014 09:30 - 05 Nov 2014 10:32 #189985 by Mr. White
I used to get hung up on hobbies, but with the impending job takeover by robots in the upcoming decades...eh, why sweat it?

I figure we'll have all the time in the world to invest in hobbies, but we'll actually just sit on our asses, consume even more mass media, and choke the shit out of the planet with worthless junk we'll crap out on 3d printers.

How's that for a pick you up?

EDIT: To be honest, WM3 is pretty much perfect. Easily the best spectacle and Savage v Steamboat is one of the all-time greatest matches. The only PPV I rate higher is AAA's When Worlds Collide (94).
Last edit: 05 Nov 2014 10:32 by Mr. White.

More
05 Nov 2014 10:11 #189987 by hotseatgames
I'm struggling with 6 warmachine models staring me in the face because they want painted, but I just can't make myself care enough about Warmachine to paint them.

In the end I'll probably slop some paint on them just to make the voices stop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Green Lantern, wadenels

More
05 Nov 2014 11:16 - 05 Nov 2014 11:17 #190002 by Green Lantern
Oh boy, did hotseatgames nail it. I didn't even realize I had a struggle until reading that post about painting minis. I love to have painted figures but don't get much joy out of actually painting them. That feels like work and I hear the voices too. After jamming on some Dungeon Command recently I broke out my D&D adventure system games and basked in all the plastic unpainted masses. They call to me. Lo, they do call to me and bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Vallejo.
Last edit: 05 Nov 2014 11:17 by Green Lantern.

More
05 Nov 2014 11:23 #190004 by Chapel
My current hobbies that I've been pretty active with are:

Headphones. I have a half dozen various headphones now.
Vintage Audio: I've been collecting LP's for several decades, and I like old vintage 70's audio.
Photography: Been ramping up on some new stuff this year and getting out there and taking lots of cool stuff.
D&D and AD&D collecting: I've been collecting old D&D stuff since well forever, but this year since the boardgames selection has been a bit lackluster, I've gone back to my wish list of D&D stuff and buying things here and there.
LP's: Recently have ramped up my Texas Punk collection. Added a few Judy's and Big Boy albums. They are frickin' hard to find even on ebay. But I get one here and there.

My struggling hobbies:

DiscGolf. Geesh, with these two youngin's I've not had a lot of time to get much discgolfing in. I need to rectify that.

Boardgames: Same deal, haven't been playing as much as I'd like. I get about one to two good sessions in a month right now. Hoping to increase that in 2015

Beer: SInce getting married and having these wee ones, I've become somewhat of a tea-totter lately. My quality beer consumption has gone done quite a bit.

Movies: I've missed both of the Austin area film festivals in the last couple years, and I am hard pressed to see a movie in the theater.

VW's: I sold my VW bug two years ago, as I am hoping to find a decent Type III to rebuild. Haven't had much luck or time in that department.

More
05 Nov 2014 11:42 #190006 by Gary Sax
I guess my two hobbies are boardgames and hiking. That's really pretty much it these days, some of the others have fallen away (I don't play many videogames these days). Pre-tenure academics sucks, my wife and I generally work at least 6 days a week.

More
05 Nov 2014 11:55 #190007 by Bull Nakano
Wrestlemania 3 was a good show, and the production values are maybe the highest wrestling has ever seen, but it's got a good amount of filler, like all big 80s super cards. When wolds collide is great, that match between Los gringos locos and octogon/el hijo del santo is as close to perfect as it gets. One of my favourite ppvs of all time is fairly recent, extreme rules 2012, check it out if you have a chance.

More
05 Nov 2014 12:11 - 05 Nov 2014 12:13 #190009 by Mr. White
yep, that mask v hair match is hands down my favorite match of all time. Made me a lucha fan for life. Too bad about Art Barr & Eddie. :(

I'll check out that ppv, though I haven't followed WWE in a while, so may be lost a bit. Hopefully the in ring drama will suffice.

Do you watch any Chikara or other Indys? I'm a big fan of what Chikara does in regards to providing a family friendly atmosphere, bringing in international talent, and playing up the Lucha/Puroresu/carney side of pro-westling. Unfortunately, their storylines are waaaay to meta for me. That whole bit about them closing down for a year takes Sherlock himself to figure out. That said, if I were to ever road trip to a wrestling event it would be to one of Chikara's King of Trios weekends.

EDIT: The thing about WM3 is it so perfectly captures its era more than any other PPV I've seen. It's so un-mistakenly 80s. The midgets, musicians, managers galore, etc. Nothing else like it. A real time capsule there.
Last edit: 05 Nov 2014 12:13 by Mr. White.

More
05 Nov 2014 12:28 #190010 by Almalik
WM 13!!! Okay, I don't think I could name another match on the card other than Hart/Austin, but still!

Lessee, struggling with board games a bit (like most other folks here it seems). Really feeling the urge to sell off some of the rare-ish stuff that doesn't get played.

Struggling with hockey, but that just because we merged our 35+ league with the open (young guys) league, and some nights it's tough keeping up with the 20 year olds. Ahhh, it's still a blast.

More
05 Nov 2014 12:52 - 05 Nov 2014 12:54 #190013 by lj1983

Gary Sax wrote: I guess my two hobbies are boardgames and hiking. That's really pretty much it these days, some of the others have fallen away (I don't play many videogames these days). Pre-tenure academics sucks, my wife and I generally work at least 6 days a week.

The wife and I used to be big hikers. then babies happened. Rather than go to mexico or something for spring break, we'd go to the smokies and spend the week hiking. I still try to get 1 big trip up in the Bighorn mountains every year with some buddies, but its getting harder and harder to make that trip. Plus I need to start carrying a firearm now-a-days.
Last edit: 05 Nov 2014 12:54 by lj1983.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds